BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Sound system

• Jus jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2012 19:26 #49494 by Jus jimny
Replied by Jus jimny on topic Sound system
Thanks peop's for all your advice, is all sorted now once I read what Vaxxi wrote I had a good look around behind the dash today, and the harness that I put in was now connected to one that was their already! Once I took my one out it all works how it should.
Now I have got that sorted I just need to sort out the sh#ty sound it makes, I have mocked up a cardboard box shaped to house a 6x9 in, under each front seat, watch this space.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2012 20:31 #49510 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Sound system
And if you put the speakers under the seat, where will the moved air go ? your buttocks ? :laugh: under seat install only works for a subwoofer, but that' a bit different than regular speakers.

The stock speakers' location is not *that* terrible; just put in good 4" speakers on the front and back (the rears can fit 5.25" with new mounting holes), put in a bit of sound proofing, insulate the speakers' lip to sit tight against the sheet metal and sound can be quite satisfying.

• Jus jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Oct 2012 21:24 #49515 by Jus jimny
Replied by Jus jimny on topic Sound system
Have you tried putting speakers under the seat then, their should be enough room for air movement, how much room dose it need? I'v just put a new set of 4" alpine type e in the front and have a set of 6x9 jbl's from my boy racer days, the alpines sound fine but have no bass at all, which is all I would like.

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2012 09:33 - 05 Oct 2012 09:34 #49528 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Sound system
Hijack for a linked related question if I may :blush:
Since acquiring my (standard) 2003 Jimny I only have sound from the passenger side speaker.
Can you please tell me if the feed to the speakers runs from the radio connection independently?
If this is the case I’ll start my search there, thanks guys ;)
Last edit: 05 Oct 2012 09:34 by Tadpole.

• VAXXi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2012 12:14 - 05 Oct 2012 12:15 #49537 by VAXXi
Replied by VAXXi on topic Sound system
Yes it does. It's blue/black + blue to passenger side and black/red+red to driver side coming from head unit connector (might be swapped on RHD, manual doesn't say that though).
Last edit: 05 Oct 2012 12:15 by VAXXi.

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2012 12:24 #49538 by Tadpole

VAXXi wrote: Yes it does. It's blue/black + blue to passenger side and black/red+red to driver side coming from head unit connector (might be swapped on RHD, manual doesn't say that though).

Many thanks I'll take a look see what's going on, back to topic .... ;)

• Jimnyash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2012 06:29 #49596 by Jimnyash
Replied by Jimnyash on topic Sound system

Tadpole wrote: Hijack for a linked related question if I may :blush:
Since acquiring my (standard) 2003 Jimny I only have sound from the passenger side speaker.
Can you please tell me if the feed to the speakers runs from the radio connection independently?

I only had sound from the drivers side! The speakers aren't great.

A friend had the same issue as you in his Jimny and the drivers side speaker had fallen apart. I think I read there's an issue with water ingress on the right hand side.

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2012 08:15 #49601 by Tadpole

Jimnyash wrote:

Tadpole wrote: Hijack for a linked related question if I may :blush:

I only had sound from the drivers side! The speakers aren't great.

A friend had the same issue as you in his Jimny and the drivers side speaker had fallen apart. I think I read there's an issue with water ingress on the right hand side.

I'll keep that in mind when I pull things apart thanks .... ;)

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Oct 2012 18:35 #49686 by Tadpole
I had look today & after pulling the radio, (blimey what a lot of cables) & speakers found I have a faulty drivers side speaker.
Now looking for a replacement here www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/11-for-.../47058-front-speaker

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds