BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

What size tyres?

More
03 Apr 2012 13:31 #36824 by Basketcase
What size tyres? was created by Basketcase
Just wondering if anyone knows if 31" tyres fit with a 3" lift without cuttin or trimming any parts of the car? Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sam_
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2012 14:55 #36826 by Sam_
Replied by Sam_ on topic Re: What size tyres?
Unlikely, I've got just under 30" on mine and i've got 2" suspension lift and 2"body lift and had to trim the bumper as on full lock it rubbed.

Also depends on how wide your going with the tyres, mine are 235's on 7" rims so they are pretty wide maybe going thinner you might get away with it...

More
03 Apr 2012 15:00 #36827 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic Re: What size tyres?
I'm looking at 31x10.50x15 on standard jimny rims i can get spring spacers though aswell to get bit extra lift?

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2012 15:01 #36828 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic Re: What size tyres?
Also with any bigger than 30" you going to want some gearing ie rocklobster etc

More
03 Apr 2012 15:03 #36829 by Basketcase
I'm really new to this so dont really have any idea what size is best anyway what size tyres should i look for that'll be good enough?

• Sam_
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2012 15:12 #36830 by Sam_
depends what your doing! I mainly use mine on the road and for green lanes, also i've been to 1 pay and play day and mine have been great didn't get stuck once!

Also think it looks pretty good too! B)

• Sam_
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2012 15:14 #36831 by Sam_
also like reaper said you want to look at different gearing with bigger wheels/tyres.

Mines got a rocklobster so gear to run up too 31" tyres.

• Goat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2012 15:40 #36835 by Goat
Replied by Goat on topic Re: What size tyres?
I've fitted 235x75x15s to mine on modulars that are offset from the original wheels. So far I've not had to trim anything just pushed the bottom of the bumper out a bit. Hopefully taking it off road at the weekend so will see if any bumper needs to come off.

More
03 Apr 2012 16:15 #36840 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: What size tyres?
More importantly will 10.5 tyres fit on 5j rims? Will there be enough room inside the arch with the standard offset on the rims?

As others have said too, look at what your intended use is, don't get too hung up on running massive tyres. The thing you need to bear in mind is that these are plenty capable trucks with little more than all terrain tyres. 29"ish aggressive tyres will see you right in all but the most extreme conditions without too much in the way of clearance issues. All IMHO of course.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
03 Apr 2012 16:46 #36841 by Basketcase
My main intention is to use the car to go to and from work daily which is only 2 miles and then using it for pay and play days should i look for 29/30 " by 9.50 ?

• Sam_
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2012 17:19 #36846 by Sam_
2 miles isn't very far so go for something with an extreme tread pattern maybe?

as I doubt road holding and road noise is really going to be an issue for that distance :whistle:

More
03 Apr 2012 17:32 #36850 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: What size tyres?
For daily duties without any gearing changes personally i'd not go above 27". I'm running 195/15 which usually come in at 80 profile and they're remoulds that are typically taller. The maths works mine out to be 27.29". I use mine daily and on hills i can be down to 3rd mostly. 2"taller at 29" would make it struggle. Off road will be massively affected too, i'm in 1st gear now on climbs that were 2nd and tickover before!

All fine if you are planning to mod the gearing otherwise it can ruin a very capable truck. I'm going down to 215's when these are shot.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds