BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A section for Vitara and SJ owners.
If you have not yet upgraded to a Jimny then you can discuss your current Suzuki 4x4 here!

New SJ owner - couple of q’s

More
19 Apr 2023 08:37 #248701 by mlines
As you know, we are also rebuilding (well a professional company is doing it) an SJ.

Just a note on some of the parts from "overseas".

During re-assembly, Winchfield Engineering noticed that the panel alignment of the front wings with the rest of the car was not good (I actually couldnt see it myself). So they have had to release some of the spot welds in the aftermarket panels, adjust the alignment and then re-weld the part up.

Here is the front passenger wing. You can see the silver bits where they had to release the welds and then weld the support into a better position to get the panel to line up with the rest of the car. The panels are off again to epoxy protect them.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2023 09:07 #248705 by yakuza
I admire the progress on the pictures on page one. I threw away my SJ ten years ago from the rust at the body mounts and the cross beam there.

Martin, the welds on the original japanese SJ's weren't perfect either. Some looking like a fresh apprentices work. But position is mostly OK on them.
Admire the will to make it straight though.
But the spanish ones 1988-92(?) were often way out of placement and I guess most of them are gone now from the rust. The spanish ones seem to have thinner tin and gets flaky rust easier than the earlier japanese ones IMO.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
19 Apr 2023 09:15 #248706 by mlines

Martin, the welds on the original japanese SJ's weren't perfect either. Some looking like a fresh apprentices work. But position is mostly OK on them.
Admire the will to make it straight though.

Yes, Winchfield said on day one that the SJ would come out better than factory as the general panel assembly and alignment was poor. Some of the changes they are doing are to things I cannot see with my eyes. I was there this morning and they were taking a dent out of the outer sill that I didnt even think was there. 

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
19 Apr 2023 11:04 #248707 by lesgrandepotato
I’m expecting to do a bit of panel fettling. The two panels above and below the grill are horrendous. Wings look ok.

The floor will be fine it’s a reasonable fit. Bit of a head scratcher in the sills have been replaced over the old ones in places. This and a slightly under size repair panel could be fun. Will probably just section it and leave the original in place. The location accuracy for the body mounts has plenty of tolerance. Could easily be 3/5 mm off and no real effect.

More
23 Apr 2023 08:29 #248770 by lesgrandepotato
Getting stuck into the arch repair today hopefully. It’s getting a bit involved… I’ll feel better once it’s all cleco’d in!

More
23 Apr 2023 16:47 #248795 by lesgrandepotato
Bit of progress today. Took the small problem. Cut back until I could find something worth welding too. 

Then pulled the new tin in. I can see why SJ’s have been scrapped for this job! It’s not easy. Lots of intersecting panels and once it’s all been bodged up not much reference to make sense of. 

Still we are making a tidy runner for trialling and the odd classic show not a show pony!!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
24 Apr 2023 17:30 #248821 by lesgrandepotato

So the tail mount for the body arrived. That’s not a welcome surprise! it’s a decent panel but it does require millimeter precision to fit where the double skinned number plate mounts fit together. This is a head scratcher as it’ll mean instead of aligning by eye (and that’s how success will be measured!) that i’ll either need to make a good jog or perhaps more practically jig off the chassis. This is not ideal given the amount of tin that’s been cut out… hmm. What would help is a good shot of the rear mounts for the number plates all fitted in. I don’t quite understand why we need a double skinned number plate mount so there is a distinct possibility that I might just cut and reweld so the number plate is only mounted to the body and not the body and chassis.  
Attachments:

More
24 Apr 2023 22:07 #248825 by yakuza
Before 88 they all had rear bumpers and licenseplate mounts and lights at the chassis but from 1988 they were mounted to the body.
I think.

Brackets and mounts differ then of course.

It was like this for my 1984,85,87 SJ's and my spanish 88 and 92 samurai at least.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
25 Apr 2023 06:46 #248826 by lesgrandepotato
Fab, mines a 92 Spanish build. I guess the old mounts rotted off and then some one refabbed onto the chassis.
We’ll sort that out quickly enough!

Cheers for that. It could have been a long rabbit hole

More
09 May 2023 19:47 #249059 by lesgrandepotato
More progress, easier once you know how it fits together! Other side of the cross member is cleco’d in and the new arch. 

Leaves a small curved patch to join the inner sill to the wheel tub. 

The body mounts are a little off but I reckon we’ll be ok. I reckon we are about 4mm wider than stock. But you’ve got a few degrees of freedom to play with to put it back in! Not all of which are in my control.

Next challenge is the front of the sill that is sitting wide of the floor.. may fillet it, may cut it free and pull it in with a ratchet strap. 

Then unpick the old tail mount and repair the back of the floor and put the new inner cross member in with a couple of little patches in the inner sill. 

Then we have a rot free SJ…. For a simple vehicle that body repair is fairly involved! Hope these snaps help someone else in the future. 

Attachments:

More
09 May 2023 19:50 #249060 by lesgrandepotato
The bit that had me confused… will chop the brackets off the chassis.

Does anyone have a clear description of which body mounts go where and which thickness? The ones on my car were not immediately recognizable as car parts… and I have a new set from India 

Attachments:

More
14 May 2023 15:11 #249104 by lesgrandepotato

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds