BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

My 2020 Jimny overlander build

More
05 Nov 2020 11:40 #229705 by Roger Fairclough
I don't intend doing any serious green lane driving as Tonka has only covered 3,000 miles and is still pristine so the standard tyres are acceptable for what I want BUT the lure of the unknown track may tempt me at some stage to venture forth and at that point I would consider a set of steelies and a set of suitable AT tyres. My choice of AT's as apposed to MT's is based on previous experience. For many years I was the Warwickshire rep. for GLASS and that meant I needed to drive the lanes to know their condition so that I could advise members as to which to drive and which to avoid. I would drive solo and needed tyres I could trust so I fitted BFG KM2's as much for their proven abilities as their rugged construction. But MT's are not a normal road tyre, they are noisy, they do not grip as well, especially in the wet and they tend to wear faster. For normal road use I had a set of AP's and they were far better and far safer. The state of a track will vary from day to day especially if the basic surface is soil. The start may appear firm dry and flat but further in it may change to side slopes slime and other nasties so MT's come into their own. This is where the term "Tread lightly" was born. Approx. once a month I organised a day or weekend laneing trip. I would email the chosen group with details of the location and the type of terrain we would drive so that they could prepare their motors accordingly. Sometimes the weather would cause problems and we would just have to cope. I think the US marines call it "adapt and overcome".
In the end tyre choice is very personal and hopefully it will be made more on knowledge than looks.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chalky the Jimny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Nov 2020 12:26 #229708 by Lambert
Looking good. Not quite Jimny related but where did you get the tool roll?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 Nov 2020 18:31 - 05 Nov 2020 18:32 #229724 by Soeley
The Jimnybits stuff does seem really well made and heavy duty. I fitted both rear recovery points and keep a bridle and two shackles in the car, so if the recovery point are need it will spread the load between the two. I also have the front recovery points.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2020 18:32 by Soeley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chalky the Jimny

• Chalky the Jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2020 09:45 #229741 by Chalky the Jimny
Replied by Chalky the Jimny on topic My 2020 Jimny overlander build
On Amazon, I'm loving the quality and look. A bit pricey though for a tool role:

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ES8L3UG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

• Chalky the Jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2020 09:48 - 06 Nov 2020 09:49 #229742 by Chalky the Jimny
I did a trip around Scotland last week (the NC500). What a beautiful country.

I slept in the car, more comfortable than expected, I used the same mattress GeordieJimny (on Instagram) recommends and it's perfect for the job. I just got frustrated with the condensation everyday on the windows.
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Nov 2020 09:49 by Chalky the Jimny.

• Chalky the Jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2020 09:53 #229743 by Chalky the Jimny
Some more pics of the NC500 trip
Attachments:

• Chalky the Jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Nov 2020 09:58 #229744 by Chalky the Jimny
I installed the Jimnystyle carpets - not sure if it's the cold but the 3m stickers that come with it just won't stick. And I'm not convinced the seats will open easily anymore as they will catch, but definitely better to have something as the plastic is ridiculously slippery and all my crap would always fly all over the place.

I also installed the rear Jimny Style LED lights. I love the look of them, though I'm concerned the indicator lights aren't bright enough in daylight to be seen properly. Also the reverse light isn't great. So I'll look at adding my own additional reverse spotlight (also because of my window tinting, it's hard to see out the back anyways)
Attachments:

More
06 Nov 2020 21:01 #229755 by crash486

More
06 Nov 2020 21:40 #229759 by Soeley

• Chalky the Jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2020 16:49 #230035 by Chalky the Jimny
I got these cargo hooks from @geordieJimny on Instagram. He makes great leather products for the Jimny. I'm super chuffed, much smarter than standard hooks in the back.

Attachments:

• Chalky the Jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Nov 2020 16:52 - 14 Nov 2020 16:53 #230036 by Chalky the Jimny
I finally changed out my indicator lights to non bright orange items. Cheap ones from eBay, hoping they last. I also secured my maxtrax and spade inside while I wait for my super delayed rood rack.

Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Nov 2020 16:53 by Chalky the Jimny.

• Chalky the Jimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2020 16:31 - 15 Dec 2020 16:37 #230917 by Chalky the Jimny
I went green Laning and had a good time. Too good a time, as I had to sneak back home with no front number plate! It got taken by the puddle. A lot of digging but couldn't find it. This has happened to me pretty much on every car I've owned - so not surprised

Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Dec 2020 16:37 by Chalky the Jimny.

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds