BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:My Jimny gen4 South Africa mods/build thread

More
29 May 2021 15:26 - 29 May 2021 15:32 #235465 by lookonimages
Bit of unboxing.
What i like is there is no drilling and tapping.

Everything you need. Even your allan key is included.

Blown away. Exceptional quality !!
Last edit: 29 May 2021 15:32 by lookonimages.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2021 18:44 #235473 by Soeley
Looks good, looking forward to seeing the installation.

More
17 Jun 2021 15:39 - 17 Jun 2021 15:43 #235856 by lookonimages
Added some new wheels. A little bigger but looks so much better.

215/75r15 general grabber all terrains.

Very happy, just look so much beter.

In South Africa a lot of good feedback on this tyre.

Before

Comparison

Comparison

Looking great on the 50mm Desol lift.
Last edit: 17 Jun 2021 15:43 by lookonimages.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Jun 2021 16:49 #235864 by Lambert
They make it look way more purposeful.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
17 Jun 2021 17:47 #235873 by fordem

What's the impact on performance (acceleration/braking) and fuel consumption like?

More
18 Jun 2021 03:42 - 18 Jun 2021 03:51 #235895 by lookonimages

fordem wrote:

What's the impact on performance (acceleration/braking) and fuel consumption like?

Just did the wheel change. Will be able to give feedback much later on consumption. Only did do a 10km drive yesterday and first impresion was acceleration feels like normal std tyres. Currently dont feel negative impact.
These tyres are only 1.5% bigger in diameter but width increases 10%.

They do look much more bigger and have AT profile that looks a little more aggressive.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2021 03:51 by lookonimages.

More
18 Jun 2021 18:57 #235935 by fordem
Did you notice any difference in the way it stops? Maybe needs a little bit of a firmer push on the pedal, hopefully not too much firmer.

One of the reasons behind these questions is many years ago I did something similar with a Suzuki Swift, I was almost 20% wider on the tires with a very minimal increase in diameter, the impact on acceleration was not noticeable, but it took a heck of a lot more brake to bring it to a stop, (because the bulk of the rotating weight was further away from the center of rotation) and this eventually lead to warped rotors, and a brake upgrade.

The Jimny, like that Swift uses a relatively small solid rotor, I've started compiling a list of parts to upgrade the Jimny front disks to a more substantial vented system, just in case the need arises.

More
19 Jun 2021 00:34 - 20 Jun 2021 12:56 #235948 by lookonimages

fordem wrote: Did you notice any difference in the way it stops? Maybe needs a little bit of a firmer push on the pedal, hopefully not too much firmer.

One of the reasons behind these questions is many years ago I did something similar with a Suzuki Swift, I was almost 20% wider on the tires with a very minimal increase in diameter, the impact on acceleration was not noticeable, but it took a heck of a lot more brake to bring it to a stop, (because the bulk of the rotating weight was further away from the center of rotation) and this eventually lead to warped rotors, and a brake upgrade.

The Jimny, like that Swift uses a relatively small solid rotor, I've started compiling a list of parts to upgrade the Jimny front disks to a more substantial vented system, just in case the need arises.

Currently I dont find any negatives in respect of braking. It feels like with std tyres.
BUT
Short town trips so far with jimny was with no loads etc. Vehicle empty with only driver.

I might take it for a long drive maybe over the weekend and drive some passes in our area to get a more substantial feedback.

The other aspect is that I am not aggressive driver and not hard on braking, so if there are minimal impact on braking I might not notice simply because of my driving style.

On the other hand an aggressive driver might pick up difference easier.

For me currently they feel pretty much the same as std wheels

Average km/L for last 13000 km was 13.2 km/L
Last edit: 20 Jun 2021 12:56 by lookonimages.

More
27 Jun 2021 15:53 #236176 by Roger Fairclough
When you brake, you convert kinetic energy into heat. Standard brakes are designed to cope with all manner of situations that a driver will incur. If the driving style you use does not promote brake fade then the slight increase in tyre diameter will not give you any problems.

If you still like the idea of vented discs then Martin has covered this in one of his tutorials.

Roger

oger

More
29 Jun 2021 10:38 #236232 by fordem
I don't know that I've experienced brake fade perse, which I'm defining as a gradual need to use more & more pedal pressure over several repeated applications, but that Swift certainly gave the impression it wasn't about to stop any time soon, and it was absolutely impossible to lock the front tires up, which was possible before the tire upgrade.

Upgrading the brakes using Brembo vented rotors, large calipers & pads and braided stainless steel flex made a huge improvement, and yes, it was driven hard.

By the way - it's not the increase in tire diameter that causes the issue - it's the increase in rotating mass, and the fact that the rotating mass is concentrated at the outer edge, rather than being evenly distributed - I'm not theorizing here - proven on the street experience.

More
29 Jun 2021 19:22 #236238 by Roger Fairclough
If you increase the dia. of a tyre, you increase it's mass because there is more material in the tyre.

Roger

More
30 Jun 2021 19:34 #236265 by fordem
BUT - you can increase the mass of a tire without increasing it's diameter, and even do so whilst reducing it's diameter.

And the reason I am pointing this out is that on that particular vehicle, the wider tire/wheel assembly did not significantly increase either the diameter or the mass of the rotating assembly - it was a heavier tire on a lighter rim which essentially meant that the rotating mass was further away from the center of rotation.

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds