BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Lumberjack Jimny

More
18 Jan 2023 15:07 #246994 by Roger Fairclough
I imagine a forestry trailer with hydraulic drive would be a hefty beast and outside the realms of being towed by any 4x4 as we know it. The type for manoeuvring a caravan to position it either at home or on a site is neither powerful enough nor practical for moving a trailer/caravan out of a sticky situation. What I envisage is an electric motor within the hub unit connected to a battery and controlled by a rheostat. Modern day brushless motors would easily be powerful enough as there use is purely at low speed for short periods.

Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Jan 2023 15:37 #246997 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Lumberjack Jimny
The last time I got horrendously stuck I was in a defender on xcls with a Sankey on the back, the gateway was way too soft and down it all went essentially under it's own weight. Same gateway a year later and just as wet but in Dreadnaught with the twin axle trailer and I was leaving dents with my feet but Dreadnaught just walked over the top hardly leaving a mark, lighter is so much better.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Jan 2023 17:22 #247002 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Re:Lumberjack Jimny
Far from it Roger. They come in all sizes, including many designed to be used behind ATVs. 

But forestry is different to agriculture. Foresters have no concern about soil conservation, they will get the timber out over any terrain regardless of the damage they do. The standard approach to farm stuff, on the other hand, is that if you're getting stuck or making a mess then you probably shouldn't be there. Damaging the soil structure is a no-no. So farmers are unlikely to pay extra for a feature they would hope to never use. A second vehicle on the end of a rope is never far away.
Attachments:

More
21 Jan 2023 12:25 #247060 by lookonimages
Replied by lookonimages on topic Re:Re:Lumberjack Jimny

Busta wrote: The Jimny is on new standard height front springs, front and rear. I had been running it without the anti roll bar for better articulation, but with the welded front diff I've now got traction even with wheels in the air so I've re-fitted the anti roll bar for better handling at speed on the road.

Will contact you iro front diff weld. Very interested in going that route myself.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

More
21 Jan 2023 12:53 #247061 by Roger Fairclough
Hi lookonimages.

Can you tell me what you hope to achieve with a welded up front diff?

Roger

More
23 Jan 2023 09:18 #247107 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Re:Re:Lumberjack Jimny
With all due respect Roger, last time you shared your misunderstandings about welding the front diff the thread had to be locked. Please don't take this thread down that path. I'm happy to share my real world experience on the subject with anyone who asks in a private message or on a separate thread.

More
23 Jan 2023 10:41 #247110 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Re:Re:Lumberjack Jimny

Busta wrote: The Jimny is on new standard height front springs, front and rear. I had been running it without the anti roll bar for better articulation, but with the welded front diff I've now got traction even with wheels in the air so I've re-fitted the anti roll bar for better handling at speed on the road.

Will contact you iro front diff weld. Very interested in going that route myself.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
I'd be cautious with a welded diff, you'll ruin your turning circle and there are times when it is better to allow some wheel spin. It'll also mean that it would be unsuitable to use on road (slippery conditions) in 4wd. I understand the benefits of a 'locked' diff and the cost savings doing it this way. But IMO there are heavy compromises if it isn't a dedicated off road use only vehicle.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
23 Jan 2023 11:07 #247111 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Re:Lumberjack Jimny
I don't know where people get this idea that a welded front is going to ruin your turning? The front should only be used in low traction surface conditions at which point the wheels are able to slip relative to the surface anyway so how is it a problem, it just means you will go wherever the front wheels are pointing. Rear lockers they tend to make you go straight but this is not that.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta, lookonimages

More
23 Jan 2023 11:37 - 23 Jan 2023 11:38 #247113 by Busta
Lambert, that's exactly my experience having been running a welded front diff on and off-road in my daily driver work truck Jimny for the past 2 years.
But as I said to Roger, I don't want my 10 year old thread to be taken over by people with a poor grasp of the subject telling me I'm wrong, when they simply have no experience of it. I realise it's an unconventional mod and people are curious. I'm very happy to discuss it in private chat or a separate thread.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2023 11:38 by Busta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
23 Jan 2023 14:48 #247121 by Roger Fairclough
I was respectful of lookonimages when I asked him what he hoped to achieve with a welded up front diff. and if he, or anyone else wants to know my feelings on the subject they can do so by private message or a new thread. I will however respond to the comment that I have no experience of driving with locked diffs. Your wrong!

I will say no more on this thread.

Roger

More
23 Jan 2023 17:33 #247123 by Busta
Many people have experience of driving with a rear diff locked. Some people have experience of driving with both front and rear diffs locked. Very few people have experience of driving with only the front diff locked.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
24 Jan 2023 06:05 #247134 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Re:Lumberjack Jimny
I have a question about your walking beam trailer. Have you sprung the beam itself so it attempts to remain parallel to the trailer body at rest so that the trailer when empty is balanced or is it simply a beam with a bearing? Also how big of a job is it to swap out to the single road wheels?

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds