× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Gearbox leak i think?

• g4vcn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2011 10:42 #9155 by g4vcn
Gearbox leak i think? was created by g4vcn
Im not 100% sure but i think i have a leak from my gear box on the end with the prop. There is signs of oil around that area. Oil has flicked up to the underside of the car so guess its from where the prop is spinning. Is there a seal that can be replaced without having to remove the gear box? It dont look like its going to be an easy job.
Thanks

Gav

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2011 13:10 #9165 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: Gearbox leak i think?
In principle it is dead easy.
Pull the propshaft out, extract the oilseal, smear the lip of the new one with grease, drive it in, refit prop.

In reality I expect that the transfer box will have to come out to get at it properly, not a major job.

Before you change it, there is a breather to the gearbox. If this is blocked with mud it will pressurise and blow oil out. I'm afraid I have no idea where it is though.

A quick test is to undo the filler bung shortly after a run. If it goes PSSSsssshhhh! then you have a problem with the breather.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: g4vcn

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2011 13:20 #9168 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: Gearbox leak i think?
Is it similar to what ive just done on my transfer box? As in same sort of job?

If so, it was quite straight forward on the transfer box.

Is yours splashing oil on the floor near the gearbox or the transfer box?

• g4vcn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2011 13:50 #9169 by g4vcn
Replied by g4vcn on topic Re: Gearbox leak i think?
its near the gear box. it has splashed oil all arround that area. i havnt noticed it dripping onto floor as of yet. but it has made quite a mess on the rubber boot that covers the gear leaver on the underside.
Is it just one of thoes things or could it be due to having a 2 inch body lift and 3 inch suspension putting strain on the props?

gav

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2011 14:29 #9171 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: Gearbox leak i think?
I asked that question just a few days ago when my transfer box started leaking, nobody answered lol!

Ive noticed the prop spacers up for sale, so did wonder myself as this seems like the same thing as mine but at the gearbox end. Mine splashed gunk all over the handbrake cables and floor etc.

Fitted the new seal yesterday with new transfer oil, never looked to see if its still leaking cos im scared haha.

Dont want to make it a habit of having to do them though either.

• g4vcn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2011 16:09 #9174 by g4vcn
i need to have a closer look at it to make sure its comeing from there. its hard to see the gearbox side of the prop because of a bracket/guard under it. i hope it is an easy fix as luck isnt going my way with this car so far. Still havnt found a front diff for it from the last problem. :(

gav

More
09 Jan 2011 17:58 #9194 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: Gearbox leak i think?
As facade says, you will probably have to move or remove the transfer box.

The gearbox breather is near impossible to get to. Your best bet is from the inside of the car through the gaiter.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• g4vcn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2011 19:08 #9207 by g4vcn
what colour is the oil likely to be in the gearbox? i doubt its ever been changed as the car is only 20 months old. Im being told by other people that is will be red. The oil im losing is a golden colour.

gav

More
09 Jan 2011 21:08 #9255 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: Gearbox leak i think?
ATF is red. Gear oils are usually brown/gold, but I know that Vauxhall gear oil is wine red too.

If it is 20 months old surely it is in warranty: take it back and get Suzuki to fix it)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• g4vcn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2011 21:52 #9272 by g4vcn
If it was as simple as that i would. At the moment i have no front diff as it smashed into 8 bits. It also says on the warenty card that warrenty is void if it is modified. So if any one has a front diff for a 06+ or even a matching pair, let me know.

Gav

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds