× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Wipers coming on with lights

More
15 Oct 2024 19:50 #257892 by Busta
I've been putting a Jimny back together after doing a fair bit of work on it (welding, head gasket, clutch). I now have an issue whereby when I turn the lights on the front and rear wipers also come on. If the lights are off the wipers work as normal. Has anyone experienced this before? Any clues where to start looking?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2024 20:29 #257893 by DrRobin
Strange electrical faults like this are often a bad or missing earth and the current drawn by one device finds another path. However, I doubt there would be enough voltage/current through the light to also turn the rear wiper.

Do the rear lights (or the front) work when switched on?

I know the headlights are negative switched, but not sure about the rear lights or rear wiper, they might both be positive switched.

Hope that helps.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
16 Oct 2024 12:13 #257906 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Wipers coming on with lights
The lights are working correctly. With the ignition off the lights come on as normal with no wipers. When I turn the lights on with the ignition on I hear a click from a relay under the dash and the wipers start. With the lights off the wipers work as normal. So maybe it's a relay somewhere. I shall have to consult the wiring diagram and see if there's anywhere obvious where the 2 circuits meet.

More
16 Oct 2024 14:34 #257910 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Wipers coming on with lights
The relay will be the intermittent wiper circuit.

I'd look for trapped/misplaced/shorting wires going to the column switches.  There is a rather complicated wiring arrangement to the column switches for the wipers to change speed, run intermittent and even self-park.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
17 Oct 2024 19:18 #257939 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Wipers coming on with lights
Good news and bad news. The bad news is I haven't found the cause of the problem. The good news is it has fixed itself. The car has been sat for almost a year and after a 15 minute drive today it's back to working as it should.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Soeley

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds