× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Difficulty changing gears

More
18 Sep 2024 16:49 - 18 Sep 2024 16:53 #257571 by Vandoni
I have problems changing gears, even when stationary, if the engine is on, if i put it in 1st and then neutral, it is hard to put it back in gear again, that doesn't happen with the engine off.
Also while moving, changing gears is super hard, even while rev-matching and being careful.
Sometimes the transmission remembers that it's supposed to work and everything goes back to normal, only to revert back to being "broken" again in a few shifts.
I also tried removing the shift lever like it said in some other post on this forum, and from the hole came a slightly burnt smell.
Last edit: 18 Sep 2024 16:53 by Vandoni.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Sep 2024 17:26 #257573 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Difficulty changing gears
It's possible that someone has changed the oil in the box. If they have used either a pure gl5 or a gl4/5 combination oil it is wrong. It needs to be a pure gl4 as there are yellow metal parts in the box that don't play well with the gl5. I made this mistake for a couple of months and flushed it out without any longer term effects.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Sep 2024 17:38 #257575 by Vandoni
Replied by Vandoni on topic Difficulty changing gears
i don't really know what kind of oil is in there, i'll have it changed while i get the nylon ring replaced, cause i read in another thread that there should be a white nylon something under the shifter lever, and when i checked today, there was nothing.

More
18 Sep 2024 23:06 #257579 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Difficulty changing gears
Difficulty changing gear is usually a clutch not disengaging correctly. It could be the cable, the thrust bearing or a sticking clutch.

Is the clutch working correct or does the pedal have to be pushed to the floor before it disengages? You might be lucky and it might just need adjusting.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
19 Sep 2024 01:26 - 19 Sep 2024 01:28 #257581 by Vandoni
I'm starting to think it's the clutch too, (because the gears don't act stupid when the engine is off.
The clutch was changed 4 months ago, the pedal is pretty soft, but it's always been that way. I wanted to try and tighten the cable, but I'm a big guy and the space under the steering wheel is pretty limited XD, also I don't really know how to do that 
Last edit: 19 Sep 2024 01:28 by Vandoni.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Sep 2024 04:47 #257582 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Difficulty changing gears
There's a big plastic nut thing at the gearbox end of the cable for adjustment.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
19 Sep 2024 08:36 #257586 by Vandoni
alright, one of these days i'll see what i can do with that. let's hope for the best, thanks guys

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds