× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

1998 G13BB oil leaks, advice please

More
23 Jul 2024 22:34 - 28 Jul 2024 22:17 #256925 by rhino666
I am now moving on to the next stage of my Jimny project with three minor oil leaks to resolve.
I'll start with what appears to be a sump gasket leak, just on the front nearside corner of the sump but around the crank pulley area. Difficult to take a photo but I have attached my best efforts. What do you reckon?
I removed the cambelt cover today and have added attachment photos three and four. It appears that the oil weep is coming from the crank seal, not the sump gasket as first thought. Please take a look at the photos as I would appreciate others opinion. Is a new seal likely to remedy this minor leak?
Thank you.

Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Jul 2024 22:17 by rhino666.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2024 08:35 - 30 Jul 2024 08:35 #257008 by facade
There is a seal behind the crank sprocket, easy enough to change but you obviously have to take the cam belt off, so if you don't know when it was changed you may as well change the belt and tensioner, which starts to add £££.

The alloy lower front cover is actually the oil pump housing, and it unbolts & comes off if you drop the sump first- not that you need to take it off to do the seal.

Check that the key that times the drive sprocket and the keyways are in good condition when you take it out, if the crank bolt isn't fully tightened they fret and wear.

TBH, I'd leave such a tiny weep until I was changing the cambelt anyway, then change the seal at the same time, there doesn't seem to be any belt contamination from it.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 30 Jul 2024 08:35 by facade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rhino666

More
30 Jul 2024 14:22 #257011 by fordem
I would suggest replacing the seal, cambelt & tensioner "pre-emptively" - oil on the cam belt causes it to deteriorate and it can fail, leaving you stranded - it's a non interference engine, so there's typically no damage, but, depending on where you are when it lets go, it can be a problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rhino666

More
31 Jul 2024 06:49 #257019 by rhino666
Thank you for the replies, much appreciated.

The cambelt looks very recent and currently no sign of contamination but as this leak seems to have progressed rapidly, something really needs to be done, if feasible.
My worry is MX5 related where interference with the main crank bolt on the very early cars is a mistake as often leads to a loosening of said bolt and catastrophic crank shaft damage. Can someone reassure me that this will not be an issue on a 1998 G13BB? Assuming it's not I will initially just try a seal replacement. I had hoped to find a full write up somewhere but failed thus far. Guess the seal will need to be drilled and a couple of screws used to extract and that an OE part, number 09283-32040 should be installed? I am looking to buy a replacement Cam Belt Cover from Part Souq and they supply a supposed substitute seal, Suzuki part 09283-32042. Any comments on Part Souq and has anyone installed seal 09283-32042 successfully on their Jimny.

More
31 Jul 2024 10:56 #257023 by fordem
Look at it from this angle, if the crank bolt is tight and the crank/key undamaged, taking it apart to replace the seal is not going to cause catastrophic damage, provided you tighten it correctly when reassembling.

If the crank bolt isn't tight, the sooner you get in there and deal with it, the better, the damage gets worse if left loose to fret.

More
05 Aug 2024 22:01 - 29 Aug 2024 22:04 #257100 by rhino666
Fairly sure there is no issue with the crank bolt and certainly no wobble/fret on operation. It would seem that the Jimny does not have the issue of the early MX5 where undoing the the crank bolt often leads to problems.
Apparently 09283-32042 is correct for the crank seal, a supersede part number.
I can't find a write up on this process anywhere. Anyone point me in the direction of one or advise on removing the old seal.
Anyone know what speedi sleeve fits the G13BB crank? Hoping this won't be needed but good to have a forward plan for worse case scenario.
Last edit: 29 Aug 2024 22:04 by rhino666.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds