× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Are the starter motors in the Jimny, specific to engine type? 2006 M13A / 13GBB

More
24 Jun 2024 18:12 #256430 by robs5230
Hi
On a search for a starter motor for my M13A engined 2006 Jimny, I'm wondering whether the starter would be the same as for the 13GBB engine?

Had a search on the bay and they're listing plenty to suit a 2006 Jimny but for the 13GBB engine code

Can anyone help?
Thanks

standard jimny - for now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Jun 2024 03:19 #256437 by Lambert
The last time I needed one I just went to my local preferred motor factor. I couldn't tell you if they are different.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
30 Jun 2024 18:09 #256564 by robs5230
Thanks for that.
I've now done the same and ordered via Euro Car Parts on the vehicle reg number.

Now I just have to find where the heck Suzuki fitted it. A brief look from underneath shows its pretty well hidden to say the least.

Manged to borrow a ramp on Wednesday this coming week and hoping its not going to be too painful to do.

I did my last one, a 1999, on my back from underneath, but that one had a 2" lift and bigger tyres. No chance on this one with OE suspension and tyres

standard jimny - for now

More
03 Jul 2024 10:54 - 03 Jul 2024 12:50 #256608 by The Coil Spring
I found it quite easy to access the starter motor from above in a Jimny 2012 LHD.

- Remove the battery
- There's a black fuse box next to it with two wire looms entering it. Remove the 2 screws holding it (one of them is inside the box). Unplug the wire loom that enters the fuseboard from the top, but leave the wire loom that enters underneath. Push the fuse box out of the way and into the space where the battery was.
- Now the two bolts that hold the starter motor are accessible, M10x65, 14 mm hex-head (orig part no 01550-1065A I think).

The photo is taken from the space where the battery was. The head of the upper bolt is obscured by that wiring tube.

I should add that the wire tube is attached to a metal bracket, which in turn is held in place by that very upper starter motor bolt. Red circles the bracket itself, whilst the yellow dot indicates the location of the bolt's head behind it. Green dot is the lower bolt.

Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Jul 2024 12:50 by The Coil Spring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

More
03 Jul 2024 11:56 #256609 by yakuza
Great follow up this!

Also not so difficult to remove the Gearbox on a LHD 2005 and newer than what the write up in here says. Still a good job but doable.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
03 Jul 2024 12:28 #256610 by robs5230
Hi. Thought I'd do a follow up on how it went for me.

Disconnect battery negative terminal

As I said earlier, I'd managed to borrow a ramp, which sort of made things much easier. And sort of not, in the way that whatever access you have from the bottom, even very good access from under a ramp, I don't think the whole job could be competed from under the vehicle, without some very special tools (very long extension bars.
Access is massively limited to the top (blind, as in it can't be seen) bolt. To make matters worse, the top bolt also retains a bracket.

So the order of play was:
Remove the wiring connections from underneath. You can't see these properly from above
Lower the ramp, and undo the 2 main bolts, from inside the engine bay. You can clearly see and access them, without moving or removing anything. A ring spanner easily cracked the bolts and a palm ratchet helps just getting them out (and back in).
Raise the ramp and after a bit of a tap to break the mating faces, the starter is easily removed from the vehicle, with a few twists and turns along the way.

New starter wriggled in, from underneath.
This is where it got a bit trickier and needs another pair of hands. The starter, tips under its own weight, so needs holding flush from underneath, while the bolts are reinserted and tightend from above.
Back underneath to reconnect the wiring and job done 

Reconnect battery negative.

All done in 45 minutes, after we'd figured out it needed bolts needed doing inside the engine bay, then the removal and refit of the starter, from underneath
About 10 minutes of that, was needed from the extra pair of hands.
I reckon if you were to have this job done at a garage, they'd be ripping you off, if they charged more than an hour's labour

Cost me the price of a new starter (£90 with a 2 year guarantee), a bacon buttie and 4 tins of beer

standard jimny - for now

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds