× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

My Take on the Jimny JB74 Service Schedule

More
06 Jan 2024 13:53 #253296 by Doctorchris
My Jimny JB74 is now just over 4 years old and has been driven 35,000 miles. Since the warranty expired a year ago I have serviced the vehicle myself. I don't do this to save money but because I enjoy the task, like to take my time and pay attention to detail.
I don't stray far from the schedule in the handbook. However, I feel that the recommended brake fluid replacement every 2 years is excessive, especially as the DOT3 fluid used is less hygroscopic than the DOT4 fluid used in so many modern cars. I have bought a simple brake fluid tester and have found the water content to be very low in the fluid at present, 2 years after it was last replaced.
I don't see the need to lift the valve cover every 2 years to check the valve clearances. The Suzuki dealer certainly didn't do this after 2 years. I find it takes a very high mileage before shim adjusted valve clearances go out of specification. There is no excessive noise coming form under the valve cover.
I like to use 0W-16 oil. Last year I managed to buy this grade of oil from a reputable manufacturer at just over £1 per litre. A bit more expensive this year. I genuinely believe this grade of oil results in measurably better fuel economy than the 0W-20 used by the dealers' workshops.
Feel free to criticise my approach, I'm just an enthusiastic amateur who is keen to learn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2024 09:37 #253347 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic My Take on the Jimny JB74 Service Schedule
Aren't the valve clearances supposed to be assessed by listening at each setvice, and only adjusted if excessively noisy?  In practice they will probably never require adjustment.

I would do the brake fluid anyway.  It's a cheap job even if it is a bit messy.  At least the bleed nipples will be less likely to seize.

More
08 Jan 2024 11:49 #253352 by mlines
Our dealer contacted us before the two year service as there was a shortage of the cover gaskets at that time. They spoke with Suzuki and then said we could either delay until the gaskets are available or accept a "listen" test on the valves. We went with the listen test as we felt the engine was nice and quiet anyway.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jan 2024 13:48 #253355 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic My Take on the Jimny JB74 Service Schedule
Generally the clearances will only increase over time, leading to noise and slightly increased wear.  Therefore, if the top end is quiet when warmed up, it's fine.

Insufficient valve clearances are the real problem, as the valve isn't closed for long enough to lose heat to the cylinder head or, worse, doesn't close at all.  Then you get burnt valves.

More
08 Jan 2024 16:23 #253358 by lightning
l didn't think adjusting valve clearances was
still a thing.
My Alfa Romeo had hydraulic lifters back in 1996 and my 2005 Defender never needed checking.
There was no requirement to check valve clearances on our 2018 VW Up, 2012 Polo or 2002 BMW Z3

More
08 Jan 2024 16:51 #253361 by Doctorchris
My valve clearances have passed the listening test, I'm happy.

More
08 Jan 2024 20:44 #253372 by Busta
In my experience valve clearances will reduce over time as the valve seats recede into the head. I've never had an issue with valve clearances on car engines but it's common on highly strung motorbikes. You cant hear a tight valve.

More
08 Jan 2024 22:27 #253374 by Roger Fairclough
The valve clearances are set by replacement of complete buckets. There are no separate shims, so the cams have to come off.

Roger

More
13 Jan 2024 03:38 #253470 by Chops

In my experience valve clearances will reduce over time as the valve seats recede into the head. I've never had an issue with valve clearances on car engines but it's common on highly strung motorbikes. You cant hear a tight valve.

Yep exactly. Usually in alloy heads exhaust valves recess back into the head, decreasing clearances and making the car harder to start when warm and with a more erratic idle. Intakes usually seem to wear and can increase and be noisy, though they also can recess - they just usually don't as they don't get quite as hot.

In any case, in Australia under the capped price servicing schedule for early 2019 cars it was 6 monthly service intervals and valve clearances checked at years 2 and 4. Mine definitely were checked at years 2 and 4, and, in year 4 the rearmost cylinder did need the clearances tightened up (which was all covered under the capped price servicing schedule so no additional cost to me). I can do it, very familiar with what's involved since it's all quite similar to I4 motorcycles but with easier access to stuff, but much easier to have the dealer do it for me when I wasn't paying extra for it.

Post September 2019 cars get a 12 month/15,000 km service schedule with valve clearances checked in year 3 (i.e. at 45,000 km).

I will definitely check mine at year 6 when it's due. Not hard at all and you're 80% of the way in there when you've popped the coils off to chuck in fresh spark plugs anyway.

You absolutely won't hear a tightened clearance and they are the more problematic of the two directions clearances can go. You might notice the idle or harder to start issues when warm, though.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds