× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

4WD Flashing Light Diagnosis HELP

• Brazen1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Mar 2022 08:08 - 31 Mar 2022 08:09 #242612 by Brazen1
4WD Flashing Light Diagnosis HELP was created by Brazen1
Hi, 

I've read EVERYTHING on this issue and tried every technique suggested on my 2012 Jimny without success. My mechanic is also pretty stumped. 

- 4WD TC engages no problem. 

- 4WD High and Low light flashes (slow tempo) after few seconds when engaging.

- Disengage works fine, as in, it reverts tback to normal (no lights) when 2D is selected. 

- There's suction at all hoses @ the Auto Hubs. No leaks 

- I've replaced the Vsv1 and Vsv2 Actuator Solenoid, check valve, filter and Pressure Switch. Replaced with genuine Suzuki parts from the dealer. 

-my Jimny is an Auto. When I put her in Neutral, I can hear the hubs clicking particularly on one side continuously but the lights keeps flashing. 

- We put it up on on hoist. Engaged 4WD. One side (right) locks in and rotates accordingly when in Drive as you accelerate. Left side rotates slow though and not as fast as the right. When we switched/swapped the hubs over, the same thing happens on the left - it doesn't rotate as fast as the right. So it's not one of the hubs. 

- Sick of the problem being months in trying, I ordered new Manual Locking Hubs today. In anticipation for this, I blocked off the hoses underneath the car to fool the system into thinking its all sealed but error remains. 

I don't know what else to do. Please help someone with the brains because I'm so done and feeling dumb. 

I saw a YouTube video where someone did the manual hubs. He blocked the hose at the Manifold and he crossed a wire on a white connector under the battery. I tried that but I think it's the wrong connector maybe - I tried it on the two-wire connector bolted onto the vsv array. There's another white connector with 4 wires coming in which I tried to cross but this didn't work either. 

PLEASE HELP I've been trying to fix this for 3 months Can't for 4 wheel driving! Ufff

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Last edit: 31 Mar 2022 08:09 by Brazen1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Mar 2022 08:47 #242615 by Lambert
Ok so basics first with one wheel in the air and 4x4 selected that wheel should not rotate freely. Second, confirm that the vacuum pipes are going to the correct ports on the hub so that it's not unlocking one as it locks the other. Beyond that it's possible it's electrical which could be a pain to find.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
31 Mar 2022 08:51 #242616 by Lambert
Also is the wiring at the transfer case intact?

• Brazen1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Mar 2022 10:46 #242622 by Brazen1
Replied by Brazen1 on topic 4WD Flashing Light Diagnosis HELP
The wheels are locked when off the ground and 4WD selected.

The hoses being wrongly routed doesn't explain the initial error but I'll take a look thank you.

• Brazen1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Mar 2022 10:52 #242624 by Brazen1
Yea we checked it and it looks OK all connected.

I'd like to know how to simulate having manual hubs by at least disconnecting/eliminating the vaccum system.

I tried blocking off the hoses to fool the 4WD Controller into thinking the hubs have locked but it didn't Work. But maybe I did it wrong.

How exactly is it done because blocking the tubes (they both pull vacuum ok to engage/disengage) didn't stop the lights flashing. As I wrote, I've replaced everything under the bonnet already.

Is there a connecter I need to short in order to finish that job? Please

• Lambert
    Registered
More
31 Mar 2022 11:29 #242626 by Lambert
All I did with my manual hubs was plugged the hoses and it works just fine. The only feedback on the vacuum system is at the valves so if they are working correctly the system doesn't know that the pipes don't go to the hubs anymore. It's my understanding that the electrical bridging is not necessary on newer models including my old 2011 and current 2018.

• Brazen1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Mar 2022 23:17 #242648 by Brazen1
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/7-jimny...th-pictures?start=12

Read this. It seems some Jimny's just won't clear the flashing 4WD error no matter what you do - block hoses and/or short vaccum switch connector.

Anyone has a solution? Possibly something on the transfer case switches??

• Brazen1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Apr 2022 10:05 #242775 by Brazen1
Finally sorted out the flashing light error. I shorted out the connector to the valves under the battery with a much better wire and it works. No more flashing lights. I installed manual hubs first and blocked all the hoses. Finally it's good.

Seems you need to really make sure you use good wires in that connector because the one I used before was not thick or deep enough into the connector. Tomorrow I'll use a more permanent (solder or cut/join wires) solution.

More
06 Apr 2022 11:41 #242777 by felipebaldasso
What type of jimny do you own, Brazen? I've been struggling with that (jimny type 7), but I can't figure it out. (Running manual hubs too).

More
06 Apr 2022 15:13 #242779 by fordem

- We put it up on on hoist. Engaged 4WD. One side (right) locks in and rotates accordingly when in Drive as you accelerate. Left side rotates slow though and not as fast as the right. When we switched/swapped the hubs over, the same thing happens on the left - it doesn't rotate as fast as the right. So it's not one of the hubs. 

Just thought I would mention it ...

If you have an open differential it is perfectly normal for the wheels to rotate at different speeds - the rate of rotation is going to be determined by the "drag" of the brakes, and if one side has more drag, it will rotate at a slower speed than the other.

It should be possible for you to actually stop either one of the wheels with gentle pressure - the open differential will simply send all available torque to the opposite side wheel.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds