× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

4WD lights flashing and switches not working

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
17 Dec 2021 09:31 - 17 Dec 2021 09:31 #240690 by DrRobin
My 2011 Jimny with dash switches to select 4WD has developed a problem, here is what happened.

I parked part on the kerb to go to the post office this morning, when I got back in and set off the 4WD green light was on solid on the dash, the 2WD/4WD drive switches didn't do anything and it felt as though it was in 2WD, there were no clunks.

Unfortunately there is no where to park round there so drove about 3 miles to work, taking it very gently.  During the drive the 4WD light and 4L light came on and started flashing about once or twice per second, the switches were still not working.  It has the feel of something electrical, perhaps a sensor/switch or something?

After getting to work, I switch everything off, waited a couple of seconds and started the car, the 4WD light has gone off, but the 2WD/4WD switches don't do anything.  If it is stuck in 2WD (which I think it is) at least I can drive around, but need to get it working correctly, especially with bad weather coming.

I know there is a good guide on the wiki, so lots to work through, but any suggestions where to start would be useful?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 17 Dec 2021 09:31 by DrRobin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
17 Dec 2021 09:41 #240691 by DrRobin
Sorry should have said, I didn't engage 4WD, it just came on all by itself. It wasn't on when I parked up and didn't notice if it was on when I started up or if it came on when driving up the road, but it was definately on after 50 yards.

Does the 4WD light come on if the vacuum fails? I suspect it doesn't which is why I think it might be electrical.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
17 Dec 2021 10:08 - 17 Dec 2021 10:08 #240692 by DrRobin
Further testing.

I left my Jimny for 30 minutes, went out started it up and it went through 2WD, 4WD and 4L correctly, I tried it several times.

Then with the engine running the 4WD light came on all by itself and I am back in the same position as before. I actually think the hubs clicked when it did it, so it might be in 4WD.

I am guessing that if I leave it for a few minutes it will drop out of 4WD.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Last edit: 17 Dec 2021 10:08 by DrRobin.

More
17 Dec 2021 12:47 #240695 by RainerK
I never had a similar problem but I would suspect an electrical problem. To solve this, I would first have a look at the switch and also clean it and then check the cables from the switch to the controller.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Dec 2021 12:57 #240696 by Lambert
First off look up at the transfer box and decide what is happening with the wires feeding the box it could be obvious that something has fallen off or snapped. After that you need to electrically test for continuity voltage resistance etc in the loom and also the transfer box switch After that it's taking things apart time.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
17 Dec 2021 15:16 #240697 by DrRobin
I checked it again, the 4WD was trying to engage (flashing prior to starting the engine, so not enough vacuum), but the 2WD switch turned it off.

I think it is definately electrical, almost as though something is chaffing and telling the unit to go in to 4WD. Or perhaps one of the relays is sticking?

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
17 Dec 2021 15:24 #240699 by DrRobin

I never had a similar problem but I would suspect an electrical problem. To solve this, I would first have a look at the switch and also clean it and then check the cables from the switch to the controller.

Thanks, when you say 'switch' I assume you mean the 2WD, 4WD 4L switch in the dash board?  If there was a fault here, it could easily tell the 4WD system to engage.

I might have caught one of the switches this morning, putting a parcel in the car as I jumped in the drivers seat and placed the parcel on the passenger seat, it's possible I caught one or more switches.

A quick question, I know 4WG won't engage if there is a problem with the vacuum, but will it disengage if there is a vac problem?  I think it should, I thought the hubs were sprung.

Also as the transfer box doesn't use the vacuum to engage and I got the 4L light flashing, this kind of indicates a switch/controller problem?

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
17 Dec 2021 22:47 #240704 by Busta
The hubs will stay in whatever position they are left in. But as long as the transfer case returns to 2wd (which it should, even in the absence of the correct signal from the vacuum sensor) there will be no drive going to the front axle.
The problem is definitely withe switch/controller or the transfer box actuator, not the vacuum system.

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
18 Dec 2021 12:24 #240708 by DrRobin
Thanks everyone. It turned out to be the dash selector switch, I disconnected it and it stayed in 2WD. I took the switch apart, there is a small PCB with three switches, the 2WD is working fine the 4WD and 4L are both sticking.

I have bought another complete assembly from a breakers, but it is a shame the PCB mounted switches aren’t available, it’s a 5 minute job for me to change.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds