BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Kingpin Bearings - Advice

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
19 Mar 2021 14:52 #233850 by DrRobin
Hi,

My 2011 Gen had a slight wobble in the steering wheel, just below 50mph, so I jacked up the front end and could feel vertical play in the driver's side bearings, but no side to side play, according to the wiki, the classic signs of Kingpin bearings.  The passenger side seemed fine, no play.

I did the driver's side last weekend and the wobble in the steering wheel just below 50mph has almost gone, but I now feel a slight wobble between 55-60mph and although no wobble at 50mph in a stright line a slight wobble at 50mph when going round a corner.

Given that the lower bearing on the driver's side was rusted up, does this point to the passenger side also needing new bearings?  I am sure that if one side has gone, the other will be on the way out.  I am quite happy to do the other side now that I know what to expect.

Or is a slight steering wheel wobble perfectly normal, especially when going round corners, I haven't noticed it before on other cars I own? 
Would a steering damper be the answer or should I be doing bearings and damper, I might as well have it right now I have started.

Ta

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• justintime441
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Mar 2021 15:30 #233851 by justintime441
Replied by justintime441 on topic Kingpin Bearings - Advice
I'd go ahead and just replace the other side's bearings.

Are your wheels balanced? That can also cause the wobble

More
19 Mar 2021 17:49 #233855 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Kingpin Bearings - Advice
I would also go ahead and change the other side. Ours had noticeable play on one side, nothing on the other, but both bearing had almost rusted solid.
It's a part you can keep on the shelf should you find all is good on the other side, plus it's a chance to clean and grease if it is.
Re damper.
It's good you are fixing the problem, but I prefer our Jimny with a damper fitted, so I have done all the changes you suggest. The steering feels more "normal car" than the light feel it has without. It has also removed any issues hitting pot holes etc. My Jimny is 100% standard on the suspension / tyre size front, so I have not had any issues with steering self centering and the damper. Only mentioned this as some report problems / don't like the feel, but it's not an problem I have.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
19 Mar 2021 18:08 #233857 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Kingpin Bearings - Advice
Thanks Guys,

After seeing the rusted lower bearing I am going to do the other side, thanks for confirming my thoughts. If it is not already seized it will probably be on it's way.

I will see where that gets me to and then will probably fit a damper, they don't seem too expensive.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
19 Mar 2021 21:17 #233858 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Kingpin Bearings - Advice
The nearside tends to be worse as it runs the the rough gutter side of the road, more water, more salt and more pot holes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
22 Mar 2021 10:43 #233908 by DrRobin
Thanks everyone.

Mike, I drove my other car over the weekend and then got in to my Jimny, now that it has been highlighted about the light steering, I can really feel it on the Jimny, so I am going to get a steering damper. I found Jimnybits selling a kit with different dampers, Amstrong, Black Raptor and Pro-comp, not sure which would be best, possibly for my standard Jimny an Armstrong might be best, but wondered if anyone had any recomendations?

There is also someone on eBay selling a damper, that looks like the Armstrong one.

Martin, thanks for the advice, my order for Kingpin bearings for the nearside went in on Sat.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
22 Mar 2021 11:36 #233910 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Kingpin Bearings - Advice
Robin

The first check for light steering is to look at the tyre pressures, 23PSI max at the front.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
22 Mar 2021 12:21 - 22 Mar 2021 12:24 #233911 by Scimike
Hi Robin,
Worth checking tyre pressure are not too high, but for me the steering feels light when everything is set correctly. I appreciate this is a personal preference thing, but compared to my (ex) VW Polo and even my 2CV the steering feels very light.
I fitted the standard steering damper kit (the cheap one) that uses a Land Rover damper. I believe looking at Jimny Bits they call it the Armstrong option. Its proven to be plenty and is still fine, so nothing bad to report on quality.
I got mine from Ebay cheaper than JimnyBits, it was is the same kit even down to the shape of the brackets.
With this fitted the feel is more like the VW, but still lighter than my 2CV. I would not be without one now.
All the best

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 22 Mar 2021 12:24 by Scimike.

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
22 Mar 2021 12:38 #233912 by DrRobin
Thanks,

Tyre pressures are fine. The steering is not over-light, no wobble or wandering, just a slight steering wheel vibration, but that might be Kingpin bearings yet.

I found that on a run to see my parents (200 mile round trip), I would be gripping the steering wheel quite tightly and you can feel it in your arms when you get back home, if the damper eases that, it will be well worth it.

I am going to go for an Armstrong type damper, I think on balance I would like the steering a little less sensitive, especially at around 60mph.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
22 Mar 2021 14:49 - 22 Mar 2021 14:50 #233918 by Scimike
It’s possible your slight wobble is the unchanged Kingpin or tyres, but a damper will help to some extent with this also.
I have stopped gripping the steering wheel tight these days, I now prefer a light hold so I can’t feel the rough state of the roads. The damper has certainly helped with “kick back” due to pot holes etc, I now just guide the car rather than holding on for dear life. It won’t change the Jimny “jiggle” though, its just inherent due to the short wheelbase and axles.
It is a personal preference, so unfortunately the unbiased answer is you need to try one and see if it works for you. That said Suzuki felt the need to fit one on the G4 as standard, so they think it’s a good idea these days.
The good news is they are easy to fit and relatively cheap, the damper is cheap also if you ever need to replace.

Mike

Last edit: 22 Mar 2021 14:50 by Scimike.

More
22 Mar 2021 15:43 #233922 by jackonlyjack
I have armstrong fitted on mine
The kits you can buy use disco 1 armstrong damper around £18 on ebay
if you own a drill and grinder make your own it's not hard 
look here  www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum?view=topic&catid=8&id=60814 page 10

• DrRobin
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
More
22 Mar 2021 16:22 #233924 by DrRobin
Nice job Jack.

Unfortunately time is not my friend at the moment, I spent last weekend making a set of castors and brackets to fit my motorcycle lift, the weekend before changing the Kingpin bearings on the driver's side and next weekend changing the Kingpin bearings on the passenger side.

Fortunately my piece of plastic was ready to help out, so I, Err, hit the buy it now button.

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

The following user(s) said Thank You: jackonlyjack

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds