BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Re:Lift kit & suspension for the JB74

More
25 Jul 2020 22:40 #225659 by Boris Ekner
Hi guys,
I'm looking for someone who is open to have a conversation on lift kits for the new Jimny, the JB74 (Gen4).
- Please let me know if you are the person I'm looking for.

Here are my thoughts...
There are numerous brands providing lift kits for the Gen4 Jimny. I know Martin Lines went for the Trail Master lift kit for his new Jimny. As I have very little knowledge regarding this subject I'm I have an opportunity for improvement.

That said, I understand that the lift kit chosen should consider variables like vehicle weight, tires used, paved roads vs terrain, and more.
- So how do you chose, how do you know, which brand and type is the best for you?

Looking forward to your replies.

..Boris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2020 23:26 #225662 by crash486
Very complex question really.
Price.
Support/ warranty/ reputation.
Features.
Driving style.
Terrain.
ARB / OME is unique with a relocation bracket to alter the roll centre (reduce the head wobble effect) but increases oversteer . Option for caster adjustment bushes I believe.
Tough Dog kits include lowered chassis brace , caster adjustment bushes and optional adjustable pan hard and rtc dampers.
4xfour art offers replacement radius arms.
Some kits offer only spring and dampeners.
Or do you mix and match?

crash486 JB74W
The following user(s) said Thank You: Boris Ekner

More
26 Jul 2020 00:58 #225664 by Boris Ekner
Your answer hit my nail on the head. :-)

The Jimny doesn't have much of a very good ride on the road. So how does one differenciate between all options and learn to know the lift-kit that gives the improvements sought for? I find this question pretty important as it involves quite some cash, especially if the wrong lift-kit is chosen.

In my case I'm looking for a lift-kit for slightly improved ground clearance as well as better handling on & off road. Tires will, more or less, remain original size, BFGoodrich All Terrain.

I know Martin Lines have chosen Trail Master. It would be very interesting to see a review compared to the original springs & shocks, as well as compared to other brands, if possible.

Best regards
..Boris

More
26 Jul 2020 02:41 #225665 by crash486
Have to be careful when you say you want a lift for increased ground clearance. Suspension lift will give more body clearance on sills, slightly better angles and maybe the option to increase wheel diameter to give you more clearance under the low points like diff and radius arms.
Lift is predominantly about wheel size increase but if anything like Australia, you can only legally increase by a small fixed amount.

crash486 JB74W
The following user(s) said Thank You: Boris Ekner, Old Neil

More
26 Jul 2020 04:13 #225667 by Boris Ekner
Thanks again.

I haven't made a final decision regarding wheel size but i will take your view into serious consideration.

Best regards
..Boris

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Jul 2020 06:48 #225674 by Lambert
I have a gen3 Jimny that I have replaced the dampers with trailmaster but left the springs at standard height. Just the dampers make all the difference to how the vehicle behaves on and off road. I went for the standard height option because I have no intention of ever fitting significantly taller tyres so I don't have need for additional clearance offered by lifting the car. That's not to say I couldn't fit a slightly taller tyre to get a bit more air under my differentials if I changed my mind but it wouldn't be a big increase. I went for the trailmaster because they have an excellent reputation and offer 2 different damping rates both specifically for the Jimny in multiple height options. Mine are the firmer heavy duty/sports ones in 0 to 20mm. I went for them as I do a lot of towing being a sheep farmer and the additional damping is very welcome for controlling the pitching of the car with a live load in the trailer. When travelling solo without the trailer the damping is quite firm which inspires confidence especially on twisting back roads. However I think that if I didn't have to do towing every week then I would probably have nominated the comfort option from trailmaster as they are apparently a much more compliant ride especially off road.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
26 Jul 2020 08:49 #225681 by 300bhpton

crash486 wrote: ARB / OME is unique with a relocation bracket to alter the roll centre (reduce the head wobble effect) but increases oversteer .

crash486 JB74W

Curious. But what bracket do you speak of? Thanks.

More
26 Jul 2020 08:53 #225682 by 300bhpton

crash486 wrote: Have to be careful when you say you want a lift for increased ground clearance. Suspension lift will give more body clearance on sills, slightly better angles and maybe the option to increase wheel diameter to give you more clearance under the low points like diff and radius arms.
Lift is predominantly about wheel size increase but if anything like Australia, you can only legally increase by a small fixed amount.

crash486 JB74W

Not sure I agree with this. A suspension lift will raise every part of the vehicle apart form the diffs/axles. A lot more clearance will be gotten from a lift. Improving approach/departure and break over angles.

Unless driving in deep ruts/tram lines the diffs are unlikely to be an issue. And if they are, there is really very little you can do about it anyway. The rest of the vehicle will
Be massively improved by lifting it a little when off road.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Jul 2020 09:11 - 26 Jul 2020 09:12 #225685 by Lambert
Unless the lift is accomplished at the expense of articulation by using strong springs to gain the height. A set of taller soft springs accompanied by dampers capable of controlling body movement without overly slowing suspension response times coupled with a set of moderately taller tyres with compensated gearing as necessary will make an incredibly capable Jimny in certainoff roadconditions. But it has to be considered as a whole package tailored to the specific needs of the user and the prevailing terrain. Otherwise you may as well stick with the standard arrangement that Suzuki have been developing as an all round capable system.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 26 Jul 2020 09:12 by Lambert.

More
26 Jul 2020 17:35 #225711 by 300bhpton

Lambert wrote: Otherwise you may as well stick with the standard arrangement that Suzuki have been developing as an all round capable system.

To an extent yes, just be prepared to hit the transfer box and radius mounting brackets quite a lot off road. As well as the front bumper. I'm sure a 2" lift would do wonders in this regard. But yes, only when fitted as an entire package to promote more travel, not restrict it.

More
27 Jul 2020 21:36 #225764 by crash486

300bhpton wrote:

crash486 wrote: ARB / OME is unique with a relocation bracket to alter the roll centre (reduce the head wobble effect) but increases oversteer .

crash486 JB74W

OME do a pan hard relocation bracket. It raises the pan hard making it flatter slightly reducing the roll centre which allows them to use softer damping for a more comfortable ride.
It has been said that this gives an improvement compared to general stiffer shocks without a suspension geometry change.
It will still depend on how you use your Jimny if it's the one for you.

crash486 JB74W

More
28 Jul 2020 08:35 #225773 by 300bhpton

crash486 wrote:

300bhpton wrote:

crash486 JB74W

OME do a pan hard relocation bracket. It raises the pan hard making it flatter slightly reducing the roll centre which allows them to use softer damping for a more comfortable ride.
It has been said that this gives an improvement compared to general stiffer shocks without a suspension geometry change.
It will still depend on how you use your Jimny if it's the one for you.

crash486 JB74W

Thanks.

I assume you mean:

Panhard Rod Extension Bkt (FK96)

Although when you search the OME site it returns nothing, but lists it as Optional Extras for the Jimny lift kit. Not sure I put much faith in their website, as they also list an Extra Leaf also for the 2018+ Jimny.....

Surely this bracket however is just moving one end of the Panhard rod to re-centre the axle after a lift. Can't see how it has any effect on roll centre or ride quality??

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds