× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

squealing

• steve001
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2015 05:22 #153532 by steve001
squealing was created by steve001
Hi I have a squealing in engine gets worse when I put lights on or heater on number 2 any ideas and is it safe to drive thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2015 06:03 #153535 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic squealing
Have a look at your alternator belt it might need changing mine squealed a bit until I got it changed

More
13 Oct 2015 06:11 #153536 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic squealing
Yeah, loose or perished alternator belt. It's safe to drive but if it snaps you have a limited time to get home before the battery runs out. Get it looked at and replaced/tightened asap.

• fshdck
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Oct 2015 09:00 #153616 by fshdck
Replied by fshdck on topic squealing

Busta wrote: Yeah, loose or perished alternator belt. It's safe to drive but if it snaps you have a limited time to get home before the battery runs out. Get it looked at and replaced/tightened asap.

It also doubles as fan/waterpump belt. If it snaps you'll lose the engine cooling. Coolant will start boiling after a couple of miles. Been there, done that. Nearly killed it. Can still be driven carefully, watching the temperature gauge and stopping to cool down if needed. At least I suppose so, I didn't try.

• steve001
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Oct 2015 14:36 #153709 by steve001
Replied by steve001 on topic squealing belt
thanks for your help guys

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds