BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Dixie Horn

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2011 13:32 #22427 by Nobby22
Dixie Horn was created by Nobby22
Hi all

Has anyone managed to fit a dixie horn into a jimny before? You know the ones with 5 horns and a small compressor. I read its hard to fit them all in. The only picture i found was of one literaly chucked and and cable tied together.
wn.com/Project_Jimny_Few_minor_upgrades (pic at 0.32)

Nobby

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Fearghal Murphy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2011 18:23 #22439 by Fearghal Murphy
Replied by Fearghal Murphy on topic Re: Dixie Horn
haha thats mad, i was just thinking how good it would be driving by stuck BMW X5s in the snow , tooting this tune ! I take it dixie is the dukes of hazard tune from the general lee ??

Do it Nobby, i might try soon too !!

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Sep 2011 20:12 #22444 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Re: Dixie Horn
Lol, very funny mind pictures. I'm happy with my Klaxon Horn though and much easier to fit. :)

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2011 06:47 #22449 by Nobby22
Replied by Nobby22 on topic Re: Dixie Horn
I will do it! I ordered it a few days ago. And yes its the genral lee horn. :laugh: Iam sure i can get it in some how. Will post pics. ;)

Nobby

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2011 07:43 #22451 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Re: Dixie Horn
Careful where you 'honk' it.
You don't want pc plod giving the rest of your Jim a coat of looking at.
I had some on an old mini, trouble being, it wasn't old enough. I honked them at a mate in town just as Mr pc walked round the corner.
I got a 'producer' and 5 days to remove them, or else.

Don't forget, if they are the same as the old ones from the 70's/80's, if you don't play the 'tune' all the way through, where it finishes is where it'll start from next honk.

Don't disconnect the standard horn, either.

Sorry for the downer, have fun.... :D

• meanbgreen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2011 08:12 #22455 by meanbgreen
Replied by meanbgreen on topic Re: Dixie Horn
I have one mounted in mine and yes it s a extremely tight fit, but it does draw attention. My friends love it.
I can get some pics if interested

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2011 10:25 #22465 by Nobby22

meanbgreen wrote: I have one mounted in mine and yes it s a extremely tight fit, but it does draw attention. My friends love it.
I can get some pics if interested

Yes please. ;) Anything to help would be most appreciated.

Nobby

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2011 10:33 #22467 by Nobby22

Keefe wrote: Careful where you 'honk' it.
You don't want pc plod giving the rest of your Jim a coat of looking at.
I had some on an old mini, trouble being, it wasn't old enough. I honked them at a mate in town just as Mr pc walked round the corner.
I got a 'producer' and 5 days to remove them, or else.

Don't forget, if they are the same as the old ones from the 70's/80's, if you don't play the 'tune' all the way through, where it finishes is where it'll start from next honk.

Don't disconnect the standard horn, either.

Sorry for the downer, have fun.... :D

When you say not old enough. Do you meen the car or you. :laugh: Also whats a "producer"?.
I dont remember dixie horns being illegal. How can he get you to reomve it if its not illegal? I supose in the situation you described it could be seen as "anti social". I was considering removing the original horn but i surpose thats illegal. Could be funny when someone cuts you up and your instinct is to give a blast of the horn and the old dixie tune comes out. :laugh:

Cheers

Nobby

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2011 11:16 - 25 Sep 2011 12:35 #22470 by Keefe
Musical horns, illegal on cars registered after 1973.
Horns have to be single note. You can have a million horns on your car if you want, as long as, on the road, they all sound together.
2 tones, alternating, on emergency vehicles only.

I removed them so I didn't get 'done' for sounding them in the street.
It's like lots of things, legal for use Off Road or at shows but NOT on a public road..

'Producer', nick name for the old HORT1 forms you got to produce your driving documents within 5 days to any nick of your choice.

The mini, was a late 70's car, yeah I'm old fart but in my time have had to show whipper snappers the error of their ways. (Rather than report, summons or lock them up! (Bigger :laugh:))

I think you'll find they'll sound a little asmatic too. If you have to sound them, be quick 'cause there's a delay from pressing the switch to the sound 'appearing'. :laugh:

I'm not telling you not to get them or use them, just be careful.

I used to have one of the old Bull Horns. Still sell them too.
You pressed a button, the horn produced a low, loud tone and then at the same time, you had to pull a lever that connected to the horn 'diaphram, which then raised the noise, making the cow or bull noise.
Then the old original Wolf Whistle. Connected to the inlet manifold, worked by the vacuum. You pulled a cable to make the wolf whistle sound.
Trouble with that was like the old vacuum operated wipers. The faster you went, the quieter the horn was or slower the wipers worked!! At tick-over, loud as you want or if the wipers, as if on speed 2+. LoL!!

Have fun.. ;)

Just copied this from the MOT Tester site: www.motester.co.uk

MOT Test of Horn
Horn: MOT Checks

operation
control can be easily reached by the driver
loud enough
not a sequential multi-tone.

Information

Pre 1906 vehicles can have a gong, bell or siren audible warning, provided they were designed before 1 January 1905 and constructed before 31 December 1905

Reason for Rejection

The horn control missing, insecure or not readily accessible to the driver Note: Inform the driver if the horn is insecure

The horn
a. inoperative
b. is not loud enough to be heard by another road user
c. is a gong, bell or siren
d. has more than one tone

Note: When operated, a two or more tone horn automatically produces a sound which
alternates at regular intervals between fixed notes

e. fitted to a vehicle first used on or after 1 August 1973, emits a sound which is

• not a continuous or uniform
• harsh or grating.
Last edit: 25 Sep 2011 12:35 by Keefe.

• Nobby22
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2011 17:16 #22511 by Nobby22
So does that make them illegal all together? I know some people say keep it on a seperate switch and be careful but are they illegal full stop? I didnt even think about the legality of them at the time. To be honest i would rather not have it if i have to keep thinking about whether plod can hear it or not. :(

Nobby

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2011 17:59 #22519 by Keefe
Illegal to use on a public highway.
You can fit them but don't use them on the road.
You'll be ok with them on a seperate switch, just be careful where you toot them. ;)

Or as I did, fit a compressor, tank and American train horns in my old Carry van. :evil:

• trextr7monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Sep 2011 18:26 #22522 by trextr7monkey
Replied by trextr7monkey on topic Re: Dixie Horn
We have a set on the jeep, and have fitted about 4 other sets to other kits, and only use them off road (or in the middle of nowhere! - just for the hell of it!) they are indeed wired to a seperate switch and are a bit wheezey. Also if run with loads of other electrics - spot lamps etc the tune can slow down, , original horn is used for the original horn function and I wouldn't like to disconnect it.
If you are fitting them avoid the chromed metal horns as they rust quite quicklyatb
Mike.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds