BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Tow Bar

• Carrow
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2011 18:03 - 15 Aug 2011 18:10 #20397 by Carrow
Tow Bar was created by Carrow
Hi, I'm thinking of fitting a Tow-bar to my Jimmy, I prefer the robust Flange type that Tow Trust make, but have noticed a few faults with its design.
  • the tow bar seems to be around 10-15mm off centre to the left, does this cause any problems.
  • the electrics look as though they could get knocked when off-road.
  • does anyone have problems with some trailers being unlevel.
  • the holes in the chassis seem to be 14mm yet bolts are only 12mm some other tow-bars are worse, having only 10mm bolts.
Do the witter detachable make a better choice. Cheers
Last edit: 15 Aug 2011 18:10 by Carrow. Reason: missed info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Az1987
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2011 18:08 #20398 by Az1987
Replied by Az1987 on topic Tow Bar
Not sure about the other bits but on all my off road Suzuki's I have got a metal type 7 pin plug and painted body colour and fitted it to the rear door just below and to the left of the spear wheel that way it's well out the way of any mud and rocks :-)

More
15 Aug 2011 18:17 #20399 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: Tow Bar
I've got a fixed one and can't see that its off centre. Its not from towtrust but i can't imagine they are that different, mines a towsure iirc. Tows a small trailer a treat, theres not many weeks go by where i'm not using the trailer, bikes and garden rubbish in summer and firewood in winter! Its so much easier to hook it up than fold the seats down the combination of the jimny and trailer make for a great workhorse.

The electrics have been nailed offroad, i forgot 1st time out and bent the plate right up. I've bent it back but eventually i'm going to sink it flush into the bumper. Someone on here has done this already. I also broke the cover off so it often fills with mud, i tried covering it up but it still filled up with water. Before i go out now i spray it with plenty of wd40 and give it a good clean after and spray again.

The witter detachables are something like 3 times the price iirc.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• Az1987
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2011 18:20 #20400 by Az1987
Replied by Az1987 on topic Tow Bar
And if your worried about damaging the electrics just think about how much mud and crap is going to end up in the female part of the tow bar. I know from experience that they don't like road grim getting in them let alone mud.

• Carrow
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2011 18:36 #20402 by Carrow
Replied by Carrow on topic Re: Tow Bar
electrics on the back door, I like the sound of that, good idea. Cheers..

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2011 19:29 #20406 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: Tow Bar
What's the towing weight limit on a Jimny? I'm not planning on towing an Ifor Williams with a 110 on it - but it would be useful to know!

Si

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2011 04:25 - 16 Aug 2011 05:33 #20414 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: Tow Bar
1.3 tonne braked, something like 800kg unbraked?

I have a witter detachable, looks great and works great, but i too have bent the lecy braket more than once. I'll get round to having a heavy duty stainless one made at some point!

Mud doesn't seem to be an issue in the removable mechanism, dust and water is though.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2011 05:33 by adamatdraycott.

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2011 05:24 #20415 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Re: Tow Bar
I use a Hayman Reece Hitch. The sticker on it says it is "Rated 2,500kg". If I need to tow someone out of a bog I remove the hitch tongue from the towbar and put the pin back in, through the loop of the tow belt. I am not much in favour of snatch straps (Kinetic energy) because they seem to lose their stretchability after 5-6 heavy recoveries.

The manual that came with my Jimny says towing capacities are 550kg unbraked, 1,100kg braked.

I use a Tekonsha electric brake controller and fitted electric operated disk brakes to my 690kg "Cabana" caravan and electric operated drum bakes to my small yacht trailer.

More
16 Aug 2011 06:53 #20422 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: Tow Bar
1300kg braked and a measly 350kg i've always seen but even a quick google shows varying figures.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2011 07:36 #20425 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Re: Tow Bar
Here is what is written down on page 7.1 of my original manual, which I have since replaced with a Haynes manual.

"Your SUZUKI was originally designed to be capable of towing a trailer which does not exceed the following towing capacity:

Towing Capacity
(Trailer, Cargo & Tow bar)
Braked trailer: 450 kg ( 1000 lb)
Unbraked trailer: 350 kg ( 770 lbs)

However, some countries have regulations which specifically allow trailer weights greater than the capacities shown above; vehicles sold in these countries have towing capacities which match the maximum trailer weight permitted."

Unquote

This is the sticker on drivers' door edge, showing the max in kgs, 1100 and downforce max of 75.

Australian Design Regulations waffle on a lot but basically say that a vehicle may tow up to it's own weight braked. and 30% unbraked.

What they allow in the UK is any bodies guess ;)

More
16 Aug 2011 08:03 #20432 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re: Tow Bar
I mounted my Topbar electrics to the rear door. here, the socket is 10cm above the top of the bumper, with the wiring passing though the rubber cable duct into the off side inner wing.

So unless I reverse into deep water, there is no way its going to get mudded up.

I use a 1 meter coiled extension cable to connect to a trailer

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• Adamski
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Aug 2011 16:30 #20472 by Adamski
Replied by Adamski on topic Re: Tow Bar

mcjimny wrote: 1300kg braked and a measly 350kg i've always seen but even a quick google shows varying figures.

This is what it says on parkers.com but it is wrong :(

The Jimny tow's:
450kg braked
350kg unbraked

I regularly tow something 320kg and it copes pretty well but I wouldn't like to tow something 450kg long distances. Anything over 450kg would technically be illegal and I dont know what the punishment would be. I suppose if you were a chav you would get a slap on the wrist but an upstanding citizen would probably get 12 points and a £20k fine :unsure:

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds