BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Axle oil fill plug

• Mala43B
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Aug 2011 10:38 #19981 by Mala43B
Replied by Mala43B on topic Re: Axle oil fill plug
Sorted! Whoop whoop...!

I used the old trick of applying heat to it using a blow torch and it came out with ease in fact it surprised me how easy it came out. I would recommend anyone that has the same problem to use this approach.

I have not bothered to buy a new plug even though I have rounded it, instead I used some of that copper silicon gasket sold in the big jimny shop to re-seal it as the sealing ring fitted to the plug didn't like the heat.
I just used pipe grips to tighten it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• renard38
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Aug 2011 16:47 #19998 by renard38
Replied by renard38 on topic Re: Axle oil fill plug
i have down this, more easy too unscrew:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

A+ ;)

• meanbgreen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Aug 2011 02:35 #20006 by meanbgreen
Replied by meanbgreen on topic Re: Axle oil fill plug
use a chizel and hammer to rotate it until it breaks loose. Yes though your front axle is unlocked components still rotates inside so it'd be bad to run it dry

More
08 Aug 2011 10:40 #20055 by Johnniehec
Replied by Johnniehec on topic Re: Axle oil fill plug

meanbgreen wrote: Yes though your front axle is unlocked components still rotates inside so it'd be bad to run it dry

do they or don't they? now there's a question!! This question goes all the way back to the series Landrover dark ages. Optional equipment manufacturers sold loads of free wheel hubs to series owners as an economy aid (though many owners seemed to think they improved off road ability!)
Sounds logical, disconnect the hub ends of the half shafts (gear box end of front prop already disconnected in transfer box because you've selected 2 WD) so halfshafts diff and prop aren't "driven" by the wheels so don't turn saving fuel and wear. But how much resistance is there in the unlocked hub mechanisim and the transfer box internals, would they really not turn? Answers on a post card if anyone knows the answer.
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Aug 2011 12:26 #20058 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: Axle oil fill plug
With most things that won't come undone, after heating, freezing and WD40 have failed, I find welding something else to it is the answer!

Do you know what thread it is? I may know someone who makes replacements for Land Rovers - which might fit. If not, it's only a small change to the CNC program to make it!

Si

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Aug 2011 12:28 #20059 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Axle oil fill plug

Johnniehec wrote:

meanbgreen wrote: Yes though your front axle is unlocked components still rotates inside so it'd be bad to run it dry

do they or don't they? now there's a question!! This question goes all the way back to the series Landrover dark ages. Optional equipment manufacturers sold loads of free wheel hubs to series owners as an economy aid (though many owners seemed to think they improved off road ability!)
Sounds logical, disconnect the hub ends of the half shafts (gear box end of front prop already disconnected in transfer box because you've selected 2 WD) so halfshafts diff and prop aren't "driven" by the wheels so don't turn saving fuel and wear. But how much resistance is there in the unlocked hub mechanisim and the transfer box internals, would they really not turn? Answers on a post card if anyone knows the answer.
John.

Yep - they dont turn - been under ours while the mechanic rotated the wheel and nothing moved when unlocked
then again the right one doen't turn when it is supposed to be locked (ongoing saga!!) :(

More
08 Aug 2011 16:37 #20075 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re: Axle oil fill plug
They don't turn.
They were never designed to do serious mileage looking at the plain bush bearings used on the front driveshafts at the hub end. :whistle:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• meanbgreen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Aug 2011 09:11 #20106 by meanbgreen
Replied by meanbgreen on topic Re: Axle oil fill plug
the prop and inside may not turn but the bearings still need oil regaurdless. The bearings at the end of the axle tubes n such if there is no oil you still have the heat coming off the hubs n brakes that tranfers to your axle tubes. The oil reguardless if the inner shafts turn help keep heat transfer to a minimum

More
01 Nov 2022 23:51 #245705 by Stainless
Replied by Stainless on topic Re: Axle oil fill plug
Our 2006 Jimny rear axle fill plug was stuck and not coming out, using the wrong size of 3/8” square drive. 15 seconds of heating it with a small gas torch, and the plug came out easily. The thread was ok, it was the nylon sealing washer deformed into axle rust on the casing that held it tight. As I said, a little heat and the plug comes out easily, and the white nylon sealing washer was not damaged, so ok to reuse. I finally found my 8mm/10mm square socket key, what a difference, a perfect tight fit, unlike the 3/8” one. Luckily the axle plugs are easy to get, but any M20 x 1.5mm thread pitch plug will do, just make sure they are not too long, and go too far inside the axle casing.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds