× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Trolling the Web and Found this +3" Lift Info

More
03 Nov 2009 17:08 - 03 Nov 2009 18:00 #1424 by mad4x4
Was trolling the net and found this
LINKY

Has any one tried this by putting front springs on Rear and putting on 2 new springs on the front.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2009 18:00 by mlines.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2009 18:03 #1425 by mlines
There is also a strong "rumour" that if you put Mercedes 190 springs or Lada springs on the front this does the same.

So move the Jimny springs to the back, put scrap Merc/Lada springs on the front = job done. But no-one has yet cofrimed to me the exact truth behind this ie. exact model of Merc/Lada accompanied by pictures

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
04 Nov 2009 10:45 #1427 by mad4x4
Intresting, worth some more research then .....

More
04 Nov 2009 15:19 #1428 by Jamie
mad4x4 wrote:

Intresting, worth some more research then .....

Sorry but totally dissagree with using a mish-mash of springs on a vehicle
to be driven on the road.
Completley wrong spring rates etc.
Springs are the only thing keeping your wheels in contact with the road
and yet people try to cut corners and do it cheaply.

Jamie

More
04 Nov 2009 18:04 #1430 by mad4x4
Just because a spring for a Merc or a Ford doesn't mean that it is not used on another vehicle. Where do you think the company's that off lifts get there springs - Custom made or just figured out that a "spring from car X" is same as a jimny spring but +2"

More
04 Nov 2009 18:31 #1431 by Jamie
Spring's are matched to a vehicle after corner weight's
are all worked out then you take into account the unsprung weight
i.e wheel's, axle's then the sprung weight chassis, shell etc.

You then create a spring using all this info not just find a car with the same length spring.
Bearing in mind what the front end of a Jimny weigh's
compared to the weight of a Mercedes.

Down to the individual at the end of the day but i personally
think it's bonkers.

JAmie

More
05 Nov 2009 06:37 #1432 by mlines
I would suspet Mad4x4 is probably correct. Most lifting spring sets are not matched to the vehicle, they are just "what have we got that fits and lifts the vehicle". Some kit providers do make the effort, for example the OEM springs on the rear of a European Jimny are different each side and some lifting suppliers provide "handed" springs. The problem is that, whilst its easy for Suzuki to create springs in the first place as all Jimnys are the same off the production line this is not true of modified Jimnys.

Mine has a 3" lift, but the supplier does not know what I have done or not done to my car. I have a rollcage, front winch bumper and winch mounted in it, making it heavier than a normal car. In particular the weight of the winch and its position relative to the suspension points makes a big difference on mine, with the winch cable unwound the front of the car rises.

Therefore, I think the best answer is to fit the springs that work the best for you. Of course, the other often more key issue are the dampers and the damping rate, this can affect road holding more than the springs. But this is another argument altogether.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
14 Nov 2009 14:49 #1461 by kirkynut
I've not been on here for a bit as busy buying a house but I have to say that the reputable companies out there get their products from companies who have put some research into what should be on what vehicle to lift it with the right rate springs.

It may well be that the standard spring off of vehicle X will be the right length and rate to lift the front of a Jimny by 3 inches and the same with the rear from vehicle Y, but there is some research into what works safely. They may have been produced specifically but I'm undecided in my opinion.

I agree with Martin's comments about each vehicle being different with cages, front and rear winches and different amounts of cable on them, betteries in different places etc, however, just lifting a standard Jimny like mine is a starting point.

I have KAP's competition spec 3 inch lifting springs on mine, rated for vehicles with a winch and winch bumper on the front, these are different to their standard 3 inch lifting springs.

I know of one of the main suppliers of Jimny lifting springs in this country obtaining springs via another reputable supplier in Europe and this UK seller is exporting them themselves back out to Europe again! The original supplier has spent considerable time and effort with the manufacturers to get them right.

The thought of putting front springs on the rear fills me with fear. They are harder rated to take the weight of the engine, the rear does not weigh much at all! That will cause it to bounce all over the show, no matter what shockers you use!

I say spend the extra money and stay safe.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
15 Nov 2009 20:15 #1464 by funkyjimny
www.springcoil.co.uk used to make the springs for Explorer Pro Comp 2" lift kits, and also made the 3" springs that KrAP sell or sold at the time, who bought them through Explorer Pro Comp. Took me some digging, but in a previous jimny build i had them make some custom front springs to cope with my ARB winch bumper which held the winch out a long way forward and made the original 2" lift kit near coil bound.
They had all the tech specs of the std jimny springs, and the pro comp kit, and i had +4.5" springs made up with std rating.

Maybe this'll help.

Gary

More
17 Nov 2009 05:25 - 17 Nov 2009 05:26 #1470 by mad4x4
Good points above ^^
Last edit: 17 Nov 2009 05:26 by mad4x4.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds