BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fitting a plastic bullbar

• goatboy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2011 12:04 - 14 Mar 2011 12:05 #13317 by goatboy
Fitting a plastic bullbar was created by goatboy
Again I call on the distilled wisdom of BigJimny to help me.... :laugh:

Has anybody fitted (or even removed) a plastic suzuki bull bar?
I got one from a scrapyard (delivered to me I doidn't take it off myself) and I can't work out for the life of me how its meant to be installed. It came with 2 L shaped brackets (see pic) that don't seem to tie up with anything...

Also I'm not sure if the existing centre section (black bit just below the grill in the attached picture) of the front bumper is meant to be removed or if it fits over the top of it....
Can anyone help?

Thanks! :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Mar 2011 12:05 by goatboy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• biggaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2011 13:21 #13318 by biggaz
Replied by biggaz on topic Re: Fitting a plastic bullbar
Ive seen some (metal ones aswell) that fit only through number plate holes! Is that likely with yours?

• goatboy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2011 13:44 #13320 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: Fitting a plastic bullbar
Don't think so, certainly no holes there.and it has been fitted to another car...

• trextr7monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2011 14:44 #13322 by trextr7monkey
Replied by trextr7monkey on topic Re: Fitting a plastic bullbar
Posted this link re side steps last week it does have pdfs with fitting instructions for their own products which might help, I'd guess it should bolt to front chassis rails and the brackets will be to hold it away from bumper - possibly some places to fix behind erxisting number plate?

• goatboy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Mar 2011 14:58 #13323 by goatboy
There is seemingly no mounts.at the front at all. Just 3 bolt holes underneath near the towing eyes...
I'll check out the site. Thanks.

• George 147
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Mar 2011 19:54 #13434 by George 147
Replied by George 147 on topic Re: Fitting a plastic bullbar
Black plastic piece stays in place. L brackets fit to chassis and protrudes through existing bumper and new bar attaches to the other end. You should have had 3x plastic spacer tubes with it two longer ones and a shorter one. These go in between the new bull bar and the existing bodywork up in under the front of the vehicle three holes at the rear of the bull bar. the short tube goes in the middle. Hope this helps.

• goatboy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2011 07:31 #13462 by goatboy

George 147 wrote: Black plastic piece stays in place. L brackets fit to chassis and protrudes through existing bumper and new bar attaches to the other end. You should have had 3x plastic spacer tubes with it two longer ones and a shorter one. These go in between the new bull bar and the existing bodywork up in under the front of the vehicle three holes at the rear of the bull bar. the short tube goes in the middle. Hope this helps.

Thanks George!
So it sounds like I have to cut the existing bumper then to get the L brackets on? Do they go forward from the chassis through the front of the bumper? (no obvious holes on anything on the bull bar which is confusing me).
I didn't get any spacers but thats easy to fix...

• George 147
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2011 21:05 #13485 by George 147
Replied by George 147 on topic Re: Fitting a plastic bullbar
on the black plastic part at the bottom of the bumper you will see it is attached by 3x screws in the center and a 10mm headed bolt at each end these are the two bolts the brackets attach to and protrude forward with the flat at the top. the bull bar should have two holes about 6 x 2 inches long and within these there should be two holes to bolt the other end of the bracket to.

• goatboy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Mar 2011 07:19 #13497 by goatboy
George you are a star!
Thanks!

• Skinhead
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2012 17:42 #34423 by Skinhead
Replied by Skinhead on topic Re: Fitting a plastic bullbar
Are they easy to steal off another jimny? Sorry i have no job or no money and my jimny is standard!

• goatboy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2012 19:16 #34438 by goatboy
Well I'm glad I don't live near you... :dry:

• blakey2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2012 20:43 #34449 by blakey2000
Replied by blakey2000 on topic Re: Fitting a plastic bullbar
what year is your jimny, that bullbar with the brackets is off a 2005-now jimny, if yours is an older jimny with the older shape bumper it proably wont have thoes brackets as the bumpers are different.

but thoes brackets go onto the chassis and on to the black part of the bumper. should be 3 holes in the middle of the black part one center and 2 either side of it, at like 10-30cm away either side

bolts onto the chassis on the flat protuding part of the bumper.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds