× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Help - Vacuum tube disconnected

More
28 Sep 2024 17:10 #257720 by Archie15
Hi all.

First day with my 2008 Jimny. As I pulled away, the green 4WD light flashed on the dashboard. I disregarded it. I proceeded to drive for about 3 hours and only now have I realised the trouble I could be in. This is my first car and I’m very worried I have destroyed the inside on my first day. The vacuum tube appears to have disconnected from the bronze stick it sits on. I tried inserting it back on and doing the reverse trick to disengage 4WD but no change.

What do I do from here? I am not mechanically minded, I just don’t want to destory my car within hours of having it. You’re very welcome to call me stupid.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2024 18:21 #257721 by DrRobin
That is the vacuum take off from the engine, not just on the 4WD.

Do you still have a flashing green light or is it on solid? Flashing usually means the 4WD is not engaged, but the way to tell is to jack the front wheel and see if it turns by hand, if it does then it isn’t engaged, repeat for the other side.

That at least stops you doing any damage whilst you get is sorted out as it is now in 2WD.

Can you take it back to where you bought it to get it fixed?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
28 Sep 2024 18:27 #257722 by jackonlyjack
I would say you need to some vac hose and replace the piece in the picture. make it a little longer than that's fitted
For now you could wrap some tape round the brass part to make hose fit tighter or put a tie wrap round the hose to hold it on 

More
28 Sep 2024 20:30 #257723 by Archie15
Still flashing. I'll have a look at lifting it tomorrow.

Unfortunately I can't take it back to get it fixed, but I have some friends who are much smarter than me and can likely help.

More
29 Sep 2024 07:55 - 29 Sep 2024 07:55 #257727 by Motacilla
Nobody has said it yet, but: if you had actually been in 4WD for three hours on dry pavement, you would not be wondering if something had been damaged.  Your ears would have told you about 3 minutes in.  

If reconnecting the vacuum line didn't extinguish the blinking 4WD indicator, then something else is likely amiss further down the circuit.  So more diagnostic work is needed.  But it is not likely that you broke anything yourself on the drive home, so ease up on yourself.  

And one last point, in the world of cars very few models have cheaper parts than Gen3 Jimnys.  Even heavy stuff like an axle or a transfer case can be had, used, for buttons.  You could buy that convertible that Ian just posted, sell the top, and have a whole running, driving spare car for the price of a nice dinner.  

And there are several Gen3 experts here who are happy to offer valuable expertise for nothing more than a thank-you.  

All in all, you are in good shape.  Welcome to the Jimny club.  You'll be back on the road in no time.  
Last edit: 29 Sep 2024 07:55 by Motacilla.

More
29 Sep 2024 10:37 #257729 by Archie15
I've just lifted the car and I've checked, it is definitely in 4Wd. It didn't sound 'off' while I was driving... either I am dumb or very lucky, though I'm feeling it is probably the former. Thank you for the advice though.

More
29 Sep 2024 10:57 #257730 by jackonlyjack

More
29 Sep 2024 11:12 - 29 Sep 2024 11:17 #257731 by facade

I've just lifted the car and I've checked, it is definitely in 4Wd. It didn't sound 'off' while I was driving... either I am dumb or very lucky, though I'm feeling it is probably the former. Thank you for the advice though.

How do you know that it is in 4WD?

The test is to jack up only one front wheel and try to rotate it, if it only moves a few degrees in each direction then it is in 4WD.

If there is a bit of resistance but it turns, and the front propshaft is rotating then the hubs are in 4WD- double check by letting it down and trying to turn the front propshaft, if it won't turn now then the hubs are in 4wd but not the transfer.

(for completeness, if the front wheel will rotate, but if you try and rotate the front propshaft it wont turn, then the transfer is in 4WD but not the hubs. Do take precautions if you crawl underneath when it is jacked up, but it can't fall very far with the wheel still on)

I'd reconnect that hose, run the engine at idle for a couple of minutes to build some vacuum in the tank and then try jabbing the 4WD & 2WD buttons a couple of times to try and get it to reset itself.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 29 Sep 2024 11:17 by facade.

More
30 Sep 2024 08:20 #257741 by Archie15
Yep, definitely in 4wd. I'll try and reattach the hose and run the engine again, as I have tried this before but it didn't seem to make a difference. Is it possible that the hose might have inhaled some dust/dirt and blocked?

More
30 Sep 2024 08:22 #257742 by Archie15
Vac hubs I believe, would I be able to tell the difference by looking at them?

More
30 Sep 2024 08:34 #257743 by DrRobin
The vac hubs are painted black, the manual hubs have a rotary switch on them to engage/disengage the front wheels.

If you have a flashing 4WD light it usually means you didn’t obtain a vacuum and therefore it’s not in 4WD.

Did you try the tests mentioned before, jack a wheel and see if it turns, repeat for the other and then try to turn the drive shaft to the front wheels?

It’s possible you have locked front hubs, but the transfer case is in 2WD.

You might want to have a look at the wiki if you haven’t already

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/4WD...-_emergency_measures

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php/4WD...ion_system_operation

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
30 Sep 2024 14:05 #257749 by Motacilla

It’s possible you have locked front hubs, but the transfer case is in 2WD.

Crucial distinction which might have not been clear from the above discussion.  Thanks for highlighting this

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds