× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Picking up new Auto Jimny Run in period

More
20 Sep 2024 04:11 - 20 Sep 2024 06:03 #257598 by Chicken
Hi,
I hopefully will be picking up a new Jimny early next week and have a trip planned early next month down to Brisbane from central Queensland, ( about 600km each way) all the run in advice says dont stick to the same speed for long periods but thats kind of the nature of the highways here, we will break up the journey a bit but the first part will likely be over 500km then will be a few short trips and trails before we head back.

Is this likely to be bad for the new car ?
Last edit: 20 Sep 2024 06:03 by Chicken.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Sep 2024 06:05 #257599 by Lambert
Modern cars are produced to such fine tolerance these days that running in periods are nothing like as long or indeed as vital as they were with old clunkers like the BMC a series. That's not saying be rough with it but equally there's no reason to baby it either.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Sep 2024 06:12 #257600 by Lambert
Just to add you say the trip is a little while after collection so it's looking at a week plus of town driving first so that will help no end.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Sep 2024 10:23 #257604 by Busta
It will be absolutely fine. Imagine how many work/business/lease/hire vehicles go straight to work doing long trips from day one, and go one to clock up hundreds of thousands of miles. The vast majority of cars don't get "run-in" at all.

More
20 Sep 2024 12:27 #257606 by fordem

Hi,
I hopefully will be picking up a new Jimny early next week and have a trip planned early next month down to Brisbane from central Queensland, ( about 600km each way) all the run in advice says dont stick to the same speed for long periods but thats kind of the nature of the highways here, we will break up the journey a bit but the first part will likely be over 500km then will be a few short trips and trails before we head back.

Is this likely to be bad for the new car ?

So, just don't stick to the same speed for long periods.  You can control the speed of the vehicle whilst on a long trip, even on a highway.  I've done pretty much what you're describing, pick up a new car on Wednesday and make a three hundred km trip on Friday, returning on Sunday,

More
20 Sep 2024 12:43 #257607 by DrRobin
If it doesn't say in the manual then the general advice is

- keep the revs below 3,000 for the first few hundred miles;
- increase the revs over a period of time;
- don't accelerate hard and don't brake hard either.

Usuaully they recommend journeys that get the engine up to temperature and not too long at first, then build up the distance/time running.

Remember the first service interval, often 500 miles, some vehicles get loads adjusted after 500 miles and others hardly anything.

Modern engines are much better and don't require the same running in as vehicles 30 years ago, however, thngs like brakes still do.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
20 Sep 2024 17:42 #257609 by jlines
I've never bothered with any sort of run in period with my new Jimnys. I picked them up and they went straight onto the motorway at 70mph to do over 80 miles home. They are hardy engines and liked to be worked. So long as you're not redlining the rpm then I would say you're good to go. 

More
21 Sep 2024 03:10 #257612 by Chicken

If it doesn't say in the manual then the general advice is

- keep the revs below 3,000 for the first few hundred miles;

Hard to do at highway speeds in a Jimny I imagine, especially a 4 speed auto.

I guess I will do a few runs to the beach and just take it easy as much as possible.

Ducked into the dealer this morning to see how things are going, its basically done, just waiting for underbody and engine bay rust protection.

I should have taken a few snaps looks pretty good on the ironman gvm upgrade 2 inch lift with 215/75/r15 Kumho AT52s, the ironman bullbar and snorkel.  

its addictive modding isnt it, still so many things I want to do, the long range tank will be useful here, the towbar, mostly for a decent recovery point on the back, underbody protection, probably starting with the radius arm points and a winch as to be fair will probably be going out solo for the most part.

Then you have to think of a name ?? :p

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds