× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Airbag warning light.

More
30 Jul 2024 15:54 #257012 by Roger Fairclough
A few weeks back I mentioned a problem about the air bag warning light being erratic. Some days OK and the next it stayed on. All the symptoms of a loose connections. Ultimately I checked the rear seat belts. When I removed the rear seats I removed the belts but the seat belt warning light stayed on so a query to this forum, responded to by Martin had me fitting 2 ohm resistors to the plug that connects into the belt mechanism. This has worked for close on 4 years. To fit the resistor was a bit of a bodge and required pushing the prongs of the resistor into connectors that were not the right size or spacing. But with strips of gaffer tape it worked. Until now. Getting at the plugs was easy enough and I replaced them. I needed 2 and bought 5, came all the way from Bulgaria. And so far so good but I don't like bodge jobs so I had another thought. Most manufacturers will make a wiring system that suits the top of the range and then, to save faffing about, they will use that system for all models which is why you find apparently useless plugs here there and everywhere. If so what does the LCV model use to plug the socket which previously had been used by the seat belts fitted to the SZ4 and 5?

Anybody got any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2024 18:39 #257013 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Airbag warning light.
The problem is that 2 ohms is a very small resistance, even on the best connection you can get a fraction of an ohm (0.1 ohm) on the mating faces. Even the wire itself has a resistance, perhaps 0.1 ohm per metre.

Unfortunately wires pushed in to a connector will only have a small contact area and over time the contact faces will oxidise and the resistance will go up.

The best solution would be a 2 ohm resistor soldered in to the correct mating connector, you might find one in a search.

I suspect the LCV has a different wiring harness and doesn’t have the rear seat wiring.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: Roger Fairclough

More
31 Jul 2024 19:35 #257033 by Roger Fairclough
I emailed customer services at Suzuki and asked them if the wiring loom on the LCV was the same as the SZ4 and 5 and if so, was there a specific resistor that duplicated the connector on the rear seat belt. They replied that the loom part numbers were different and that there was no separate resistor. So that answers that question. As reported earlier, the original resistors I fitted lasted 4 years, so if my modified ones last as long I shall be happy.
Many thanks to Doc for his advice.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds