× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

JIMNY IS DEAD

• mlines
  • mlines's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Super Users
  • Wokingham, UK
More
28 Jun 2024 18:09 #256516 by mlines
JIMNY IS DEAD was created by mlines
The Suzuki Jimny is no more

See my latest video here to get the news for the UK and EU

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, KFP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2024 19:30 #256517 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic JIMNY IS DEAD
Amazing (they have done that) and terrible news at the same time.

Perhaps this will fuel an import market from other regions.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
28 Jun 2024 21:43 #256520 by KFP
Replied by KFP on topic JIMNY IS DEAD
I'm just glad I got my LCV before they were off the market. It kind of also explains why Suzuki were so keen to get my Ignis Allgrip from me.

2024 LCV in Brisk Blue.
Standard as a Standard thing.

More
28 Jun 2024 21:50 #256522 by KFP
Replied by KFP on topic JIMNY IS DEAD

Perhaps this will fuel an import market from other regions.

There are new 2024 Jimnys on Ebay, they look like JDM imports.

2024 LCV in Brisk Blue.
Standard as a Standard thing.

More
29 Jun 2024 12:40 #256530 by Rogerzilla
Replied by Rogerzilla on topic JIMNY IS DEAD
Suzuki have previously said it will come back as an EV, presumably totally re-engineered with no propshaft or gearboxes needed (a motor on each axle has to be lighter and cheaper, given that you need to save as much weight as possible for the batteries). The LCV was on sale for a couple of years longer than anyone first expected.

You could market a 125-mile range Jimny, I reckon.  Few people use them for long trips.

More
29 Jun 2024 14:25 #256533 by fordem
Replied by fordem on topic JIMNY IS DEAD

You could market a 125-mile range Jimny, I reckon.  Few people use them for long trips.

It may just be my environment and usage case, but what do you do with an 125 mile range "E-Jimny", drive to the supermarket?  That's where my Jimny is now, my wife went shopping in it, because it's easy to park.

Are you going to trailer it to a "pay to play" site for a day of fun, after which you limp back to the trailer and tow it home to recharge?  Or do you expect to find a charge station somewhere down a remote trail?

Where I am, we don't have "pay to play", we use 4WD to get out to the fishing spots, out to the rain forest, there is limited access to fuel, so we carry fuel, the Jimny's 40 liter tank is a serious issue for me.  The first shipment of 5 door Jimnys is on the dock as I write this, I'm going to take a look next week, and if I do buy one, an 80 liter tank is on my planned list of mods - it's expensive, but given the limitations of the Jimny as a platform, it's, at least for me, the optimum solution.

More
29 Jun 2024 14:45 #256534 by Henrikh
Replied by Henrikh on topic JIMNY IS DEAD
Sad, sad news..

More
29 Jun 2024 17:01 - 29 Jun 2024 17:02 #256537 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic JIMNY IS DEAD

Suzuki have previously said it will come back as an EV, presumably totally re-engineered with no propshaft or gearboxes needed (a motor on each axle has to be lighter and cheaper, given that you need to save as much weight as possible for the batteries). The LCV was on sale for a couple of years longer than anyone first expected.

I seriously hope not. 125 mile range is practically useless bar for about 20 people who generally have no interest in cars.

125 mile rated range would also likely only be 80 miles or so real world too.

I had a MINI Electric on demo the other year. It was great but the range meant you couldn’t use it for anything

If you want a town only car for 2 mile journeys a rugged ladder chassis 4x4 is not the primary design choice. So I pray Suzuki don’t do something so stupid. The range in the current petrol model is barely tolerable. An EV would need to at least match it.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2024 17:02 by 300bhpton.

More
29 Jun 2024 20:42 - 30 Jun 2024 06:53 #256547 by Rogerzilla
The problem is that battery capacity will be severely limited by the need for ground clearance, centre of gravity considerations, and the fact that a body-on-chassis car with beam axles is already heavy for its size.  If they put a 65kWh battery into it, it would probably weigh at least 1.5 tonnes.

For most people a Jimny is a second car.

In terms of matching the range of the current car (about 290 miles for my LCV), you're into Tesla territory there.  Yes, it's possible, but the resulting car would be Defender-sized and weigh well over 2 tonnes.  It wouldn't be anything like a Jimny.
Last edit: 30 Jun 2024 06:53 by Rogerzilla.

More
29 Jun 2024 22:49 #256553 by Bob9863
Replied by Bob9863 on topic JIMNY IS DEAD
Sas nees indeed, worse still they aren't doing it because they want to but because of stupid idiotic laws.
I'm glad it won't affect us here, but I can only hope they introduce a hybrid version for the UK and Europe as an EV Jimny would be absolutely useless.
but the resale value of gen 4 jimnys is about to shoot up dramatically.

The stupidest thing is if EV's actually worked yiu wouldn't need to mandate them, they would sell on their own. At present I average around 440-450km between fill ups and I have to get a long range tank because that just isn't enough.
cutting that range with battery power makes the jimny absolutely useless to use one practically.

More
30 Jun 2024 07:36 #256554 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic JIMNY IS DEAD

The problem is that battery capacity will be severely limited by the need for ground clearance, centre of gravity considerations, and the fact that a body-on-chassis car with beam axles is already heavy for its size.  If they put a 65kWh battery into it, it would probably weigh at least 1.5 tonnes.

For most people a Jimny is a second car.

In terms of matching the range of the current car (about 290 miles for my LCV), you're into Tesla territory there.  Yes, it's possible, but the resulting car would be Defender-sized and weigh well over 2 tonnes.  It wouldn't be anything like a Jimny.
Not sure we can really speculate on what would or would not be possible. Tech is changing all the time and there are other small EV’s with ok to good ranges.

I would say I’m not sure I agree that the Jimny is already heavy. The Gen 4 Jimny meeting current regs weighs less than a Gen 1 RAV4. So I’m unconvinced that body on chassis is heavier.

I also don’t think you can make a sweeping statement that they are all 2nd cars. That would be a very odd design decision for Suzuki to assume. I may own multiple vehicles myself, but my Jimny is my main daily driver and most certainly not a 2nd vehicle.

As for range. 290 miles sounds good, but you must be driving like Miss Daisy. You certainly will not see that if you are running at motorway speeds or if you enjoy the rev range. 230-260miles is probably more realistic for the current model across a wider sampling of driver styles and allowing for things people do to off rod vehicles such as fit AT or MT tyres.

More
30 Jun 2024 08:31 - 30 Jun 2024 08:33 #256555 by Rogerzilla
If you're only getting 230 miles per tank from a car with a claimed range of 320 miles, you'd need a similar electric range and that's not going to happen in a Jimny-sized package without some breakthrough in battery technology and cost.

Where there is a big difference between ICE and EV efficiency is in the balance between what the USians would call highway and city.  EVs give their best efficiency in slower, stop-start conditions. They are less efficient at high constant speeds.  This effect will be even more pronounced in a Jimny, as the gen4 in particular has no pretence to aerodynamics.  So an electric Jimny would be a great town car, but pretty terrible for motorway trips.
Last edit: 30 Jun 2024 08:33 by Rogerzilla.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds