BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:SZ5 Reverse sensors and camera supply and fit Essex/Suffolk/Cambs?

More
05 Apr 2024 10:05 #255451 by mikemike39
We have an SZ5 from new, my wife who normally drives it would like reverse sensors and a reversing camera fitted.   I have no technical skills (!!) so would like someone who does this "all day long" to supply and fit.    Does someone know anyone in my part of the world that they could recommend?   

Many thanks, Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2024 11:42 #255455 by 300bhpton
Surely the most obvious place to ask would be your local dealership..... 

Do you need sensors and a camera?

More
05 Apr 2024 13:22 #255456 by DrRobin
My SZ5 came to me fitted with the reverse camera, you get a good view and I am not sure the sensors would add very much.

The genuine camera appears to be £280 to buy, not sure how much Suzuki would charge to fit, having put aftermarket cameras on other cars, they are usually straight forward, but the bumper will most likely have to come off.

The genuine reverse sensors appear to be £140, my guess would be there is slightly more fitting as four holes need to be made in the rear bumper.

I don't know if you can fit both the camera goes in to the [SLDA] display unit, but don't know how the reverse sensors are wired, possibly it is just a sound.

I think I would prefer the camera.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
05 Apr 2024 14:44 #255457 by mikemike39
If I were to be completely candid I should admit that there was a *very* minor reversing incident!!

More
05 Apr 2024 15:34 - 05 Apr 2024 15:37 #255458 by Soeley
The bumper has to come off to fit the camera as well. I would say,  like Dr Robin, the camera would probably be enough. With the genuine one the lines on the screen are very good at being able to judge how near/far away you are.

If you use the green line you get enough room to open the rear door and walk around it. The yellow line just allows you to open it as seen against the garage door. Red line puts spare tyre about 8 inches away.

Green line

Yellow line 

Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Apr 2024 15:37 by Soeley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrRobin

More
05 Apr 2024 18:17 #255462 by jlines
I've got just the camera on my car which I find useful if only to save looking over my shoulder. I heard from some people that the sensors weren't that good and worth fitting.

More
05 Apr 2024 19:45 #255466 by mikemike39
Thanks all  - sounds like the camera is the answer !!

Mike

More
05 Apr 2024 20:30 #255468 by Roger Fairclough
The camera needs plugging into the back of the ICE and GPS unit. The sensor do not. I had the sensor but fitted a camera instead. It takes a little getting used to but is superior.

Roger

More
06 Apr 2024 09:54 #255473 by DrRobin

The bumper has to come off to fit the camera as well. I would say,  like Dr Robin, the camera would probably be enough. With the genuine one the lines on the screen are very good at being able to judge how near/far away you are.

If you use the green line you get enough room to open the rear door and walk around it. The yellow line just allows you to open it as seen against the garage door. Red line puts spare tyre about 8 inches away.

Green line

Yellow line 

Thanks, that’s a really handy guide.  Until you test it you never know how far you can get back and still open the door or hit something.

I was however, interested to see the inside of the door and how exposed the rear window de-mist wires are, I could see our dog pulling at those, except my Gen 4 came with small plastic covers.

They are possibly genuine Suzuki on mine (everything else is) but eBay and Aliexpress sell similar ones for around £5.  I think they just stick on, but certainly hide the wires.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
06 Apr 2024 10:25 - 06 Apr 2024 10:25 #255474 by Soeley
The wire guards could be from Jimnystyle, I think they sold them first before the other platforms. I don't think Suzuki have ever done them?
Last edit: 06 Apr 2024 10:25 by Soeley.

• rogerzilla
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Apr 2024 13:03 #255475 by rogerzilla
Yes, they're Jimnystyle's biggest seller.  The wires do look very vulnerable otherwise.

More
06 Apr 2024 13:11 #255476 by DrRobin
You are probably right about Jimnystyle, I am fairly sure the snorkel came from there, then there is the centre console tray round the gear stick and door pockets (well one left).

I reckon the previous owner left the car (and credit card) in the Suzuki Options department and then Jimnystyle and told them to fit what they could until the card was exhausted and flaked out on the ground.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds