BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Windscreen seal failure

More
15 Feb 2024 15:27 #254339 by 300bhpton
I was out for a long drive yesterday to go an collect someone. Then out of the blue the Jimny started making a weird noise. A bit like fine icy rain/hail, almost a rattle. But seemed to be coming from the roof.

On pulling over I could see a small seal had come out from presumably behind the windscreen and had been flapping about. Not sure if the noise is from the seal flapping or the gap it has left.

Called in at the dealership at lunch time, they have photographed and I'm currently waiting for a call back after they have spoken with Suzuki.

Anyone else had a similar issue? I don't recall seeing anything in the forum of late of such an issue.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2024 15:44 #254340 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic Windscreen seal failure
Is that part of the roof trim that covers the join between the ivory and black paint?

More
15 Feb 2024 15:53 #254341 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Windscreen seal failure

Is that part of the roof trim that covers the join between the ivory and black paint?
Not 100% sure. You can't see it above the glass, although there is a recess. It looks like it should be behind the glass. But the dealership wasn't sure either. It is a soft stretchy rubber. I suspect there must be a proper bonding seal holding the screen in place and this might just be a weather seal of some kind.

More
15 Feb 2024 16:34 #254347 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Windscreen seal failure
I bet it is just a gap filler to reduce wind noise, as it is a bonded screen, I wouldn't think it will affect the actual sealing?

More
15 Feb 2024 17:06 #254349 by 300bhpton

I wouldn't think it will affect the actual sealing?
Me either. Bit odd that it has failed, although the car was in for a service last Monday. I wonder if they used the high powered pressure washer along the top of the screen?

More
15 Feb 2024 17:48 #254351 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Windscreen seal failure
One of my BMWs played a whistle from the windscreen when you hit 75mph. I put up with it for a while and then booked when it was due a service. I think they took the windscreen out and re-fitted.

As most windscreens are glued in, I suspect that the trim on yours is just a weather seal, but it might be there for noise reduction.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
15 Feb 2024 19:27 - 15 Feb 2024 20:42 #254353 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Windscreen seal failure
In Suzuki terms they are "Windshield Dams"   

There is a upper dam and two side dams
They are installed on the glass before it is placed on the car and sit outside of the bonded area. Whilst they go most of the length of the top and sides they do not seem to join completely with each other at the sides
The installation instructions for them suggests they are attached (self adhesive??) to the windscreen before it is mounted. As you then install it you are supposed to ensure that they "fit to the roof panel and side panels" so they must have some sort of part in the body they clip or otherwise attach to.

Perhaps a key message in the workshop manual is "Do not apply excessive water pressure"

Parts 2 and 4 in the picture

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Feb 2024 20:42 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley, 300bhpton

More
15 Feb 2024 19:29 #254354 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic Windscreen seal failure
Haven’t heard of any Gen 4s doing this. My evoque had a rubber seal pop out on the side of the pillar and scared the life out of me on the motorway as it slapped against the window. I think it got disturbed when I had the roof wrapped but equalling it would come off when I pressure washed the car so it could be the dealership has gone too close with the pressure washer. Even though I trust my dealer with my car I still don’t let them wash it and ask them to leave it. 

More
16 Feb 2024 09:57 #254368 by 300bhpton
Well, the dealer just called. Apparently Suzuki are rejecting it as the warranty doesn't cover such things..... back to Customer Services I guess 

Although I need to check, but I thought there was a 5 year bodywork warranty, I'd have assume such a thing might have been covered under that anyway.

More
17 Feb 2024 23:56 #254398 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Windscreen seal failure
Jet washers in the hands of bunkernuts can do some very expensive damage to cars as well as the basics of quick car washing. When used incorrectly water and chemical cleaners can be driven behind all sorts of seals, decorative trim and door locks. I've seen warranty claims for damaged parts rejected for a number of cars of different marques, as jet washing has been carried out irresponsibly. High pressure water jets can be used in a range of applications that include removing scale, corrosion and painted surfaces, cutting steel sheet and accurately cutting complex shapes of automotive carpets. Would you really want to let some unskilled person with a jet washer loose to clean your car with one?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Feb 2024 03:53 #254399 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Windscreen seal failure
You are of course up against the age old problem of burden of proof. It's OK if you had noticed at the point of collection but it's going to be increasingly difficult after that.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Feb 2024 08:52 #254404 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Windscreen seal failure
This is a manufacturing problem, not a washing technique issue. We appear to be preparing the gallows for the poor person that washed a car......
We don't even know if they used a pressure washer, it could simply be time, rain and wind pressure, the stuff the front of a vehicle should survive.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds