× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Pedders Lift Kit - Help

More
14 Feb 2024 09:37 #254294 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Pedders Lift Kit - Help
Sorry missed the tyre size was 235/75. I suspect that is 90% of the problem, the height and (un-sprung) weight will be the main factors. Most people don’t run more than 215/75 unless it’s a weekend off road machine.

If you want to stay with 235s then you might want to consider reduction gears and definitely take corners slower.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2024 09:52 #254295 by HJC355
Replied by HJC355 on topic Pedders Lift Kit - Help
Thanks Doc,

Of course I didn't expect razor handling either. I also expected the sway, even more so with the lift.
I just want to dial out some of that whilst I am on road. Hence my ask of the above mods.

The car is new from Dec and Ive done 100m.
I've already modified my driving already to accommodate. haha

More
14 Feb 2024 09:54 #254296 by HJC355
Thanks Martin. Appreciate the feedback. Noted on the damper.

More
14 Feb 2024 10:34 #254298 by HJC355
Wow. Thanks for your incredibly detailed reply. Much more than I was expecting but really helps me learn from those more experienced with Jimny ownership.

ok so Im in the uk.
The reason I threw a load of mods at the car is because I originally wanted a SZ5 but didn't manage to get hold of one and the used prices were bonkers.
Roll on a year or two, and the LCV became available. Also I only wanted black. All my cars are black. white and green seemed to be the only cars that came up with my local dealer. They couldn't order, rather they were allocated only. But when you see the spec difference between the SZ5 and LCV, it kind of put me off until I saw customer versions that had been modified. I wasn't after more power, just a more visually appealing version.
I knew if I drove one I would probably be put off. Yet I didnt want to be put off, so I put off the test drive if that makes sense to you.
In the same way, if you want a Focus RS and yet you test drive a basic Focus, (all at normal speeds) you might not feel the same way about the RS.

So I was being honest about 90% road driving. I want to explore more off road in due course, but the car initially will spend most of the time on the road until my mods are complete.

My only off road cars are Defender 90 V8 and Ive had a RR SVR although they don't see off road. Hence my desire to use the Jimny eventually on these off road courses and utilise the sway disconnect.

All my current cars are performance cars bar one which is a toy, so it's just been a nice change of scene with a couple of scary moments. Guess adaptation is the answer.

So you can appreciate the mods I have done, its the following:

Wheels Eve Corse
Pedders Lift
BF GR tyres
Full Soundproofing
Upgraded speakers and Head unit
New Grill and all lights to LED
Full satin ppf

My next tasks are to work on the interior to change the seats and make the LCV a bit more attractive on the inside.

Overall, Im enjoying the project and I guess that's the most important thing.

Oh as a note for those that aren't aware, I was told by my insurance that if my Jimny was lifted over 50mm then they wouldn't insure it. So for those that have lifted theirs above this, who did they use for insurance?

Thanks and I will digest all you have said before making my next steps.
I will also try to attend the big meets to catch up with other enthusiasts in due course.

H

More
14 Feb 2024 11:51 #254302 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Pedders Lift Kit - Help
When you say Defender 90 V8, do you mean the new Defender or a traditional one? Really the Jimny should feel very much like a traditional Defender to drive on the road, just a tad more compact. But very similar sensations overall.

Things I'd check on yours are if the front anti roll bar is still there. You can buy uprated ones, but they may not play ball very well with the lift, as you'd normally not stiffen the anti roll for off road lifted vehicles:
www.hardracesuspension.com.au/front-sway-bar~2485

Also make sure you do have the caster correction bushes fitted (and fitted correctly). They should ensure the steering is more akin to a stock vehicle.

My hunch is also bump steer is an issue on your vehicle with the tyres/rims. It might be worth trying to borrow (or buy and resell) some either standard 195/80s or some 215/75 tyres on standard offset rims. If this makes a huge difference to how it drives, then you'll know your answer.

As someone else mentioned, Twisted claim to offer a rear anti roll bar, although the video reviews online do not show it. The Late Brake Show only has the presenter tapping the panhard rod and claiming it is an anti roll bar! I did email Twisted ages ago to enquire and I think I posted on their FB page, but never heard a sausage from them.

More
14 Feb 2024 13:41 #254305 by Roger Fairclough
You can have the caster angle checked by using specific equipment at some tyre dealers. This check is more scientific than just making assumptions.

Roger

More
14 Feb 2024 15:16 #254310 by HJC355
Thanks 300,

I meant the new V8 3door. so its not a real direct comparison.
I was also keen on getting an Autobiography 90 Defender, but 80k+ for a 2016 diesel which cost 62k was a bit difficult to swallow, almost as much as 120k for the V8, but that's another topic.

I will check re the front roll bar. Would have thought its still there else I'd be informed.

Hardrace do a stiffer anti roll bar with quick disconnect so you can get the best of both, increased on road stability whilst off road ability is not compromised which is what I asked in my original post.

re caster correction bushes, good point, I will ask about this. appreciate the feedback.

I still have the stock rims and tyres so I can get them back on and do a comparison.

Funny you should mention the twisted video as I have just watched it and did notice the mention of offering a rear anti roll bar.
Can't find anything online either.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds