× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Ballast when towing?

More
26 Feb 2024 08:31 #254597 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Ballast when towing?
The Jimny handbook states "braked towing capacity is 450kg unless local laws state otherwise" or words to that effect. In the UK braked towing weight is calculated by subtracting the gross vehicle weight number from the gross train weight number on the VIN plate, which comes to 1300kg. I find it interesting that Suzuki gave an allowance for towing 1300kg within the gross train weight, but chose to put such a low braked towing weight in the manual.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2024 08:49 #254598 by Roger Fairclough

Down here in NZ, overrun brakes historically have been the norm, trailer brakes are required on 1 x axle between 2500 - 3000kg, and both axles between 2500 and 3500kg. Over 2500 kg also needs a breakaway system. Generally means electric drums over 2500kg. Also your vehicle needs to stop within 7m from 30kmh.

Interestingly my dealer fitted towbar says 450 kg braked or not with 50kg tongue weight. The towbar itself is much the same design as ones fitted to much bigger vehicles, so I'd say it reflects the vehicles perceived capabilities not the towbars. I've towed more than that (unbraked) with no issue, apart from the massive increase in stopping distance and abysmal performance on hills.

I'd agree with the idea that you'd ballast the front, not the rear as the front is what does pretty much all the braking, but has less traction the more tounge weight you have, this gets heavier of course under braking as the weight balance "shifts" forward on the trailer.
I would consider that a "massive increase in stopping distance" deserved rather more than a quick notation.

Roger

More
26 Feb 2024 08:51 #254599 by Roger Fairclough

The Jimny handbook states "braked towing capacity is 450kg unless local laws state otherwise" or words to that effect. In the UK braked towing weight is calculated by subtracting the gross vehicle weight number from the gross train weight number on the VIN plate, which comes to 1300kg. I find it interesting that Suzuki gave an allowance for towing 1300kg within the gross train weight, but chose to put such a low braked towing weight in the manual.
I assume you meant "un-braked towing capacity".

Roger

More
26 Feb 2024 09:59 #254600 by Busta
You are wrong to assume.

Towing capacity
If there is not any local regulation about the towing capacity (for example, registered or statutory towing capacity), the recommended general towing capacities are;

Recommended general towing capacity:
Braked trailer: 450kg
Unbraked trailer: 350kg

If there is a regulation which specifies maximum trailer weights greater than the capacities shown above; vehicles sold in these countries have towing capacities which match the maximum trailer weight permitted.

More
26 Feb 2024 13:59 #254604 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Ballast when towing?

The only reason that the unbaked is so low is because someone at suzuki lifted the figure straight from the hand book and started putting it on the v5. Under construction and use regulations a car has to be able to tow half it's curb weight. In the hand book it says 350 unless local regulations apply. Now on earlier models that don't have a figure on the v5 then you are good to go at around 550kg but if it's specified then you are 350kg. Physically you will be fine unless you have a bump or get a tug then you are in bother.

I just checked my V5 it says 350kg on there for an un-braked trailer (1,300 kg for a braked) and that is for a 2011 registered vehicle.  Still if I got stopped the average plod wouldn't know that (it doesn't say it on the plate) and wouldn't know how much my boat + trailer weighs.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
26 Feb 2024 14:29 #254605 by Roger Fairclough
On my Gen.4, the V5 states that the max. towable mass of an un-braked trailer is 350 kg and 1,300 kg for a braked trailer. These figures correspond with the handbook and the specification guide to the Gen.4 Jimny.
Lamberts comment that 550 kg is OK as long as you don't have a bump or get a tug is a highly controversial statement to make and one that could get someone in trouble.

Roger

More
26 Feb 2024 14:35 #254606 by Roger Fairclough

You are wrong to assume.

Towing capacity
If there is not any local regulation about the towing capacity (for example, registered or statutory towing capacity), the recommended general towing capacities are;

If there is a regulation which specifies maximum trailer weights greater than the capacities shown above; vehicles sold in these countries have towing capacities which match the maximum trailer weight permitted.

The max. towing weight of an un-braked trailer is 350 kg and that for a braked trailer is 1,300 kg. These figures are in the handbook and the specification guide and the V5 document and relate to a Gen.4 Jimny, which I believe is the same for a Gen.3.

Roger

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Feb 2024 14:53 #254607 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ballast when towing?

You are wrong to assume.

Towing capacity

The max. towing weight of an un-braked trailer is 350 kg and that for a braked trailer is 1,300 kg. These figures are in the handbook and the specification guide and the V5 document and relate to a Gen.4 Jimny, which I believe is the same for a Gen.3.

Roger

I know you are determined to take issue with virtually everything I say but as Busta has stated if the v5 doesn't specify an un-braked limit suzuki themselves are happy that they produced a vehicle capable of meeting the local regulations in the country it is sold in which as I have said before is half the kerb weight of the vehicle under the construction and use regulations. So again if your jimny is old enough to not have a figure on the v5 then 550kg give or take is fine.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

More
26 Feb 2024 15:12 #254608 by Roger Fairclough
I don't take issue with anyone unless the subject can be construed as dangerous or life threatening. The point here is that Suzuki have clearly stated the towing limits for the Gen.4 Jimny and that is what I have listed. I have given the weights for both braked and un-braked whereas the figure of 550 kg is not related to braked or un-braked. Would you please advise where this figure came from.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
26 Feb 2024 15:41 #254609 by Lambert

I don't take issue with anyone unless the subject can be construed as dangerous or life threatening. The point here is that Suzuki have clearly stated the towing limits for the Gen.4 Jimny and that is what I have listed. I have given the weights for both braked and un-braked whereas the figure of 550 kg is not related to braked or un-braked. Would you please advise where this figure came from.

Roger

It's taken directly from the Road Vehicles (construction and use) Regulations 1986
Paragraph 87 part 1 b.

"it is drawn by a vehicle of which the kerbside weight is less than twice the sum of the unladen weight of the trailer and the weight of any load which the trailer is carrying."

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/87/made

The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta, gv42

More
26 Feb 2024 18:58 #254613 by Busta
Clearly the information in the Gen4 manual differs from the Gen3 manual.
Lambert is correct in that, unless a different figure is written on the V5, UK law specifies the unbraked towing capacity of a car is half the kerb weight or 750kg, whichever is lower. The Gen3 manual, as I have quoted, states that this regulation would take precedence over Suzuki's guideline figure of 350kg, just as it does with the braked towing capacity.
Some Gen3 Jimnys have 350kg unbraked towing capacity written on the V5, others don't. The ones that don't therefore have an unbraked towing capacity of 550kg. As I stated earlier I have towed an unbraked trailer weighing around 550kg for tens of thousands of miles. It is not a dangerous thing to do.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
26 Feb 2024 20:12 #254616 by Lambert
Oh and just for reference my 2018 auto with a tow bar, no back seats just a plywood deck, most of a tank of fuel and the majority of my everyday carry removed tips the weighbridge at 1140kg which by most definition is its kerb weight. That figure is around 80kg up on the minimum in the hand book the difference being the fuel and fluids and the towing equipment.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds