× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Would you swap?

More
15 Oct 2023 17:58 - 15 Oct 2023 18:00 #251445 by lightning
Would you swap? was created by lightning
Hypothetical question 

Would you swap a mint 2020 Jimny SZ5 for a pristine old model Defender?
(2014 with 40,000 miles)

My missus has had her Jimmy for 3 1/2 years but mentioned that she would like another Defender.

Obviously both vehicles have their merits but we swapped the last Defender for the Jimny because it kept needing work doing.

But now l've no longer got my 2005 110 l suppose looking after one Defender, rather than two, wouldn't be so bad.

What do people think. Sell the Jimny (l've been offered £26,000) and buy the 90, which is similar money, or keep it. 

I guess it's an impossible question to answer, which is why l've put it on here for more opinions.

lf we keep the Jimny l will need to change the tyres because we've had a couple of moments in the bad weather and l think it's affected my missus's confidence in the vehicle.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2023 18:00 by lightning.
The topic has been locked.
More
15 Oct 2023 18:24 - 15 Oct 2023 18:24 #251449 by Manxman
Replied by Manxman on topic Would you swap?
I've owned a few Defenders myself, so a few thoughts....
1. If I remember rightly 2014 would mean its a 2.2 Puma, rather than a 2.4 - which means the later DPF etc - these tend to give a lot more issues, especially if you typically do short runs (my 2.2 would need oil changes every 3,000 miles if I used it for a lot of local runs). Personally I would be looking to buy a slightly earlier 2.4 (or even better the last of the TD5s). I wouldn't own another 2.2.
2. You mentioned having moments in the Jimny and needing to change tyres - if you mean on the road, then unless you're running very aggressive Mts currently, and swapping to road tyres, I'm not sure how you'll improve the on road handling in bad weather - or have I missed the point?
3. If your wife is getting jinxy about the Jimny then I guess a Defender would give her a.lot more confidence - it does feel a lot safer place to be. £26k would buy a really nice late TD5 with some money over...
Last edit: 15 Oct 2023 18:24 by Manxman. Reason: spelling!
More
15 Oct 2023 19:02 #251450 by jlines
Replied by jlines on topic Would you swap?
As this is a Jimny forum most would probably say keep the Jimny but if she's fallen out of love with the Jimny then its time to get rid but do be sure as I've known many to get rid only to miss it and want their car back. I would also agree with the comment above that depending on what moments your having with the Jimny then tires won't make a real difference to the car. Whilst I like how defenders look I just cannot get on with them. The inside felt cramped despite being bigger, turning circle awful and difficult to see out of although this was a commerical one with no side windows. I did like its low first gear, difflock and the pull of the engine though.
More
15 Oct 2023 19:10 #251452 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Would you swap?
"The heart wants what the heart wants, else it does not care."
So there is your answer

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
More
15 Oct 2023 21:27 #251457 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Would you swap?
lnteresting about the 2.2 having issues with short journeys. My wife commutes in her car and it involves a drive of around 4 miles in stop/start traffic.

The Defender TD5 heater was just about working by the time she got there.

The issues with the 2.4 is the Station Wagons are in the highest road tax category. The 2.2's were all classed as Commercial so it's much cheaper.

lt may be that we'd have to have another TD5 if we did change.

But they're all getting on a bit now. l wouldn't want to swap a Jimny that's done 15,000 miles for an old Defender with 100,000 on it.

There's lots of low mileage 2.2's about, refugees of the ULEZ
More
15 Oct 2023 22:36 #251461 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Would you swap?

Hypothetical question 

Would you swap a mint 2020 Jimny SZ5 for a pristine old model Defender?
(2014 with 40,000 miles)

My missus has had her Jimmy for 3 1/2 years but mentioned that she would like another Defender.

Obviously both vehicles have their merits but we swapped the last Defender for the Jimny because it kept needing work doing.

But now l've no longer got my 2005 110 l suppose looking after one Defender, rather than two, wouldn't be so bad.

What do people think. Sell the Jimny (l've been offered £26,000) and buy the 90, which is similar money, or keep it. 

I guess it's an impossible question to answer, which is why l've put it on here for more opinions.

lf we keep the Jimny l will need to change the tyres because we've had a couple of moments in the bad weather and l think it's affected my missus's confidence in the vehicle.

Depends really.

I love my Jimny, but a Defender is nice too. The Puma's should feel quite akin to the Jimny in many ways, such as comfort and refinement.

The biggest difference would be a lack of mod cons like LED headlights, AppleCar play, etc. Making the Defender feel older or more basic.

We have 2 Puma's on the farm, as 12 plate that is sporting a full tilt, but started as a pickup and a 65 plate hard top. The 2.2 is quite a bit more grunty than the Jimny and if you remap them they feel seriously rapid. But the gear change is clunky compared to the Jimny or even a Td5 Defender.

I personally miss the older dash and vents of the Td5 and earlier models. But a minor gripe.

The Puma's on the farm have been owned from new, not big mileage only about 35k between the two of them. But no issues at all other than a wonky heater duct from the factory on the 65 plate.

Jimny prices are strong at the moment. But who knows if they will stay like it. I'd guess the bubble will burst at some point. Defender prices are strong too, but have good history of being so and of course they aren't making them any more (well not this model). So I expect the longer term money is probably better in the Defender, but might be a close run thing. I guess you are in a good position that you are probably making money on the Jimny and should be able to buy a Defender depreciation free for the most part.

BTW - I know you've mentioned it before. And while I don't have a real issue with the Jimnys 2wd mode. I do think the Land Rover is superior in that it offers full time 4wd. :-)
More
15 Oct 2023 22:38 #251462 by Manxman
Replied by Manxman on topic Would you swap?
DPF system on the 2.2 essentially results in diesel injection that dilutes the engine oil, so frequent journeys less than say 10 miles will result in the engine oil needing replaced quickly - every 3-4,000 miles. It's a well known problem. Some delete the DPF, but it's a ropey area and more MOT testers are picking up on it. Or you ignore the change oil recommendation and then the bottom end detonates because of lack of proper lubrication. For me a 100k TD5 wouldn't be a bad call - it'll likely still be going at 250,000, when the 15k Jimny would be long dead. But again, just my 2p.
More
15 Oct 2023 22:44 #251463 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Would you swap?

As this is a Jimny forum most would probably say keep the Jimny but if she's fallen out of love with the Jimny then its time to get rid but do be sure as I've known many to get rid only to miss it and want their car back. I would also agree with the comment above that depending on what moments your having with the Jimny then tires won't make a real difference to the car. Whilst I like how defenders look I just cannot get on with them. The inside felt cramped despite being bigger, turning circle awful and difficult to see out of although this was a commerical one with no side windows. I did like its low first gear, difflock and the pull of the engine though.
Can't say Defenders feel cramped to me, quite similar if anything with the Jimny. Maybe a little closer to the door in a Defender, but pretty similar really. But more room between the front seats, enough room for a 3rd seat if you want.

I'd also say the turning circle is also hugely good on a 90. Not sure if you can adjust the steering stops on the Jimny as I've not looked, but a 90, despite the longer wheelbase and overall length will turn in the same distance or smaller.
  • Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Oct 2023 04:34 #251464 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Would you swap?
For what it's worth I would not be happy putting my loved one in a defender simply because they are basically a aluminium crisp packet when it comes to crash safety. There was a time when they would have other cars bounce off them but nowadays with modern cars being so much more built for occupant survival and consequently so much heavier and bigger an original defender is really outclassed. I'm not saying a jimny is that much better but when we are out in mine I'm driving so I bear the responsibility if anything happens, sending a loved one out on their own for anything to happen in something that isn't as safe as possible would awful.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
More
16 Oct 2023 05:36 #251466 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Would you swap?
I have bought my last diesel engine. I got the last 2.5 TDI in my VW without DPF but still there is so much modern stuff on it I do not understand. comparable to the TD5 i guess.
So much less to go wrong with a Jimny. And with a tyre swap coming up I would be glad to choose my own tyres and not the ones some earlier owner or dealer put on there.I would allways like to go as big as the gearing and arches would allow and as aggressive pattern as the roads would allow. (Even on my VW T5 bus :) )

But I am not British, I understand you lot got a soft spot for the Landys.
Here only the anglofiles or true enthusiasts drive them.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
More
16 Oct 2023 07:24 #251469 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Would you swap?
We've had a 15 plate Defender 110 2.2 from new (now on 80,000 miles) and every version of Defender before it. I'd rather drive 1000 miles in my 20 year old, 120,000 mile Jimny than 100 miles in the Defender. It's cramped, awkward to drive, the engine is gutless apart from a small surge of torque at the bottom end, manoeuvrability is terrible, its juts a terrible vehicle in so many ways. But it can tow a 4t cattle float through thick mud and the Jimny can't... My dad has had Landrovers since he was a boy and after just a 10 mile drive in my Jimny he remarked how much nicer it was to drive.
However the Landrover value will likely appreciate whereas you've had the best years from your Jimny, the prices will start dropping soon with the influx of new ones.
More
16 Oct 2023 16:22 #251490 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Would you swap?
Landy theft would be the concern for me
They go missing so frequent 

If I had the funds I would go IBEX in a heartbeat 
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds