BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

LED bar/spot wiring?

More
30 Jul 2022 19:42 #244301 by 300bhpton
Has anyone wired in some spot lights/LED bar on a 4th gen? Pref RHD vehicle. 

Any tips getting the wires through the bulkhead? I’ve had a look but undecided. I have switch to go in the group of switches on the right of the steering wheel, where the headlight washer switch is. 

I’d also like to wire into the main beam loom. Anyone know what colour wire and plug it is for the factory LED headlights? Thanks. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2022 23:36 #244305 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic LED bar/spot wiring?
I have wired in my KC's with a switch where you are meaning. I think I just went through the grommet in the bulkhead, but can double check tomorrow when I get home and take a picture.

Just realised it's after midnight, so when I get home later today 

More
31 Jul 2022 04:04 #244308 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic LED bar/spot wiring?
Just to make sure I understand, are you planning to control your light bar/spots with the high beam switch with the switch you are installing acting as an isolator switch?

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

More
31 Jul 2022 09:35 #244316 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic LED bar/spot wiring?

I have wired in my KC's with a switch where you are meaning. I think I just went through the grommet in the bulkhead, but can double check tomorrow when I get home and take a picture.

Just realised it's after midnight, so when I get home later today 

Thanks that would be great. There is a small grommet up high on the right side of the battery with a single wire going through. But I can’t see it under the dash from the footwell.

There is a very large soft rubber grommet/boot with something that looks more akin to the main loom, behind and down on the left side of the battery. Access with the battery in place isn’t great. But I think I’d have to puncture/split this to get any wires through.
Attachments:

More
31 Jul 2022 09:39 - 31 Jul 2022 09:39 #244317 by 300bhpton

Just to make sure I understand, are you planning to control your light bar/spots with the high beam switch with the switch you are installing acting as an isolator switch?
That was my initial idea. I might still do this.

However I went out last night to set the light angle and give it a try out and I think I’ll just wire it into the switch for on/off. The loom I used has a switch already, but I’d swap it for the factory look once I get the wires through the bulk head.

To test it I just ran the wire out the bonnet and through the drivers window.

With the auto headlights I don’t need to manually control mainbeam. I hadn’t considered this. But in hind sight. I think I’d leave the LED bar out of the mainbeam circuit now and just manually control it like you with main beam normally. I won’t always need to use it. But it will be quick and easy to turn on and off.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2022 09:39 by 300bhpton.

More
31 Jul 2022 11:15 #244322 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic LED bar/spot wiring?
I'd not even spotted that little grommet up near the top.

I poked mine through here and cable tied it to the main loom with a drip loop to allow any water to run away from the grommet.

And this is the switch. 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 300bhpton

More
02 Aug 2022 08:37 #244373 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic LED bar/spot wiring?
I have put several extra wires through the main grommet by taping the wire on to the end of a small cross-hatch screw-driver or knitting needle and a cable just pushes through next to the main loom, no need to cut another hole.

If you are running thick cables, put a thin one through first and use it as a draw cord. If you use a red wire, it is easy to see, especially if access is difficult.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
02 Aug 2022 10:44 #244375 by 300bhpton
Thanks. Actually got the wiring completed yesterday.

Removed the 12v for access and cut the tape off of that large grommet. The tape is very sticky and the rubber very soft. I did slightly cut part of the flange of the grommet while trying to get the tape off. But it hasn’t caused any issues.

Got the switch wired in. I didn’t bother with the lighting circuit as that meant finding another wire splicing into it. Also it is rather annoying that despite the switch matching the factory style. It lights up blue rather than orange!

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds