BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Big trouble with 2020 Jimny

• Parsnip Pete
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2021 10:43 #235613 by Parsnip Pete
Replied by Parsnip Pete on topic Big trouble with 2020 Jimny
A bit of an update here.
We contacted the Suzuki dealer where the vehicle was purchased and yesterday 2 blokes from the service department turned up at our place in a current model automatic Jimny. They said nothing unusual had happened on the trip here with the Jimny they drove over.
Then one of them jumped in the wifes Jimny and the other bloke followed in the other car. About 20 minutes later they showed up again and said both vehicles were guilty of the problem we had reported.
They said they would be in contact with us.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2021 23:27 #235619 by lightning
Please keep the forum updated with this
issue.

Although ours has never given any trouble, and l've driven at speed on poor road surfaces on occasion.

More
06 Jun 2021 08:23 #235623 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic Big trouble with 2020 Jimny
Sounds like great service from Suzuki Australia.

I suspect you would struggle to get any representatives of Suzuki to come out to your home here in the UK!

• Parsnip Pete
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Sep 2021 10:55 #238206 by Parsnip Pete
Well, it is 3 months since the dealer the car was purchased from turned up in the other Jimny and confirmed there WAS A PROBLEM with both cars. I ran out of patience and went up to town to ask the Suzuki dealers head mechanic what advice Suzuki had given them after reporting the problem to Suzuki Australia. His answer was that Suzuki had advised them that basically, It is what it is or in other words, that is what the vehicle does.
The head mechanic agreed that it was a bad thing and that the ESP program probably should be able to be adjusted. But it can't be.
There are lots of very low mileage late model Jimnys for sale here and we are wondering if people are aware of this fault and just want to pass the problem on to someone else as Suzuki can't fix it. We are devastated to have bought a car that has the problem and there is no fix other than sell it to some unsuspecting person.

More
04 Sep 2021 11:48 #238207 by lightning
l've seen one mention of this issue from an owner in the USA, who found that his Jimny didn't like travelling right next to the centre median on the freeway.

None of the Jimny reviews have mentioned any issue.

Other than that, l've got heard of the issue being brought up, ours occasionally flashes the red collision warning at us, but nothing else happens.

More
05 Sep 2021 19:49 #238249 by Grim Reaper
Mine has done this a few times to me whilst driving around a roundabout near my home that is over an A road, there is a slight drop off where the bridge parts over the dual carriageway below join with the non bridge parts resulting in a jolt towards the left as you come off the bridge whilst still turning around the roundabout, the brakes give a buzz and seem to slew the car even more than it would had they not operated.
At first I thought it was a tyre catching on wheel arch liner or something but despite being 215/75's they can get nowhere near any bodywork and I can see no telltale wear marks anywhere so I put it down to this 'characteristic' of the car.

• Parsnip Pete
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Sep 2021 21:31 #238262 by Parsnip Pete
Ours does it in many situations including a nearby roundabout. It is far more likely to activate the ESP system if it is just the driver in the vehicle although it does do it sometimes with a passenger. It would seem to ESP system should have been designed with a way of adjusting the sensitivity of it. As there is no adjustment there is no fix. To our minds the vehicle is unfit for purpose and should technically be bought back by Suzuki. Of course Suzuki are not going to do that though so we are faced with the horrible task of trying to sell it to a unsuspecting person knowing it to be a dodgy unit.

More
06 Sep 2021 07:42 - 06 Sep 2021 07:43 #238267 by lightning
Yours must surely be faulty, despite what Suzuki say, as ours has never displayed the fault you described and we've driven it around 4,000 miles on all
types of road.
One up, two up, three up with luggage, l've on occasion driven it enthusiastically and my wife drives it more normally.
The only time when the car has intervened, was when l lost traction on a corner in the rain at speed and the stability control snubbed out the resulting fishtail that would otherwise have likely seen me going off the road backwards.
Last edit: 06 Sep 2021 07:43 by lightning.

• Parsnip Pete
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2021 08:04 #238268 by Parsnip Pete
Well, the one the 2 blokes drove to our place in to have a look at our troublesome one did not activate the ESP system on the way here with 2 people in the car. However one of the blokes jumped into ours and they both drove back along the road with only one person in each car and they reported that both vehicles were displaying the activation of the ESP and they agreed it was not a good thing. A report was sent to Suzuki who advised there is no fix, you will just have to put up with it. It is not good enough as far as we are concerned but what can you do?.

More
06 Sep 2021 12:09 #238279 by lightning
I wonder what's activating the ESP, it seems bizarre that there's no fix for it though.

The only option would be to disable the system but that might cause issues with insurance etc
My friends Tesla would sometimes think it was about to have a head on collision and apply the brakes violently.
He walked away from it and bought an Audi E-Tron.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds