BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Underseal ,Rust prevention. Is it worth it. ?

More
19 Jul 2021 10:31 #236800 by RainerK
I would agree to this. My FJ had some corrosion under the bitumen.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2021 14:44 #236807 by Roger Fairclough
I can't see any corrosion.

Roger

More
19 Jul 2021 18:49 #236815 by RainerK
The Plug itself and on the edges of the hole.

So I did (and would) treat the Jimny underbody and all inside spaces with corrosion prevention. I used a fat (8kg) but there are various options.

More
20 Jul 2021 08:05 #236825 by Roger Fairclough
The plug appears to be rubber, I still cant detect any corrosion and the only FJ I know of is made by Toyota!

Roger

More
20 Jul 2021 10:05 - 20 Jul 2021 10:05 #236827 by Gadget
In some European countries the Gen3 Jimny is known as the FJ, with the Gen4 being the GJ.
Last edit: 20 Jul 2021 10:05 by Gadget.

More
20 Jul 2021 15:57 #236835 by RainerK
Sorry for my unclear writing or pictures. The rubber plug is what I exchanged the rusty metal caps with and a FJ is an Gen3.

The metal caps were rusty after 3 years and the location is above the fuel tank under the bituminous coating, so in a somewhat protected position.

And I thought that this was the original question - if there is corrosion under the bituminous coating.

What cannot be easily seen is that in the area of the body where the rusty metal cap contacted the body there was corrosion.

More
20 Jul 2021 17:42 #236836 by Roger Fairclough
A lot has been learned by car manufacturers over the years concerning corrosion and how to defeat it but the basic fact is that car bodies and chassis are made of mild steel and that stuff rusts, corrodes and ultimately crumbles to dust. A major problem is where there is the chance of paintwork being damaged by a hard metal fitting that breaks through the paint and leaves raw steel open to the elements. This is where the problems start. The use of rubber grommets to fill the hole is ideal but I would add bitumastic or similar to complete the job.

Is this the only problem area and are the body to chassis mountings ok? They appear to be vulnerable to serious corrosion but only after about 10 years.

A point of interest is that Suzuki now offer a 12 year anti perforation warranty on the bodywork of Gen.4 Jimny's.

Roger

ps. I am disregarding any other materials used in body chassis construction. Suzuki use steel

More
20 Jul 2021 19:38 #236839 by Velocette
In the early 1970's I worked in a research laboratory in Harrogate where one of our projects was developing corrosion resistant steel for the motor industry and the like. We developed a system called "chromising" which was principally a powder of ground chromium and traces of other base metals which was spread of the surface of sheet steel, aided by a chemical flux then run through a rolling mill and heated to bond it to the surface. The pilot plant at Eaglescliffe was a great success and the material could make a car exhaust last over 15 years easily. Body panels correctly protected where drilled would last forever. It never went into production, we believed, because of the massive vested interests in the replacement parts industry. Shame.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Jul 2021 05:23 #236844 by Lambert
Was that at the ICI facility on Hornbeam Park? I know they used to do some very clever things down there.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Jul 2021 17:29 #236853 by Velocette
It was up Harlow Hill, Albright and Wilson, in front of the Tobacco Research buildings where we used to get free fags from the lab girls there !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Jul 2021 07:34 #236865 by Lambert
Ah yes, all office space now apart from the research place.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds