BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 4 Jimny 2018+ - General questions to other owners

More
04 Jun 2020 19:11 #223264 by Bill Portland

Gadget wrote:

300bhpton wrote: I wouldn't say unusable. TBH if it turns the headlights on in daylight, the only way to know is if you happen to notice the small non-intrusive tell-tale on the dash. But you kind of have to be looking for it in daylight. I've never had anyone flash me or any other response.

I'm also not convinced the sensor works any different to most of the other cars on the roads with auto headlights.

It's rapid changes in illumination that's the issue, there doesn't appear to be any built-in delay before the lights turn themselves on then off again. Drive under a bridge on a sunny day and you'll flash the car in front as they cycle on/off rapidly. Every other car I've had with auto lights has a delay of a couple of seconds before the lights turn on, which avoids this issue.

I agree. I've had 6 cars with auto lights but this is the only one where other cars pull out in front of me because they think I've flashed them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2020 06:56 #223270 by Busta

300bhpton wrote:
The Jimny has a narrow track and a fairly short wheelbase. But tbh it isn't hugely different to past Suzuki models, Wranglers, CJ Jeeps and many a Land Rover.

Having been in lots of 4wd's, I couldn't tell you that the Jimny rides or handles worse or even that differently to most of them.

Ultimately I still think either you have a fundamental issue with your specific vehicle (been in a crash, bent axel, something...) or arguably more than likely the vehicle is 100% fine and it is entirely your perception.

There are multiple vids of people going round the Nurburgring in Germany with the Jimny, you can clearly see that even when being pushed hard on a race track, there is still very little lean going on.

I agree, but I can't help but notice that none of those cars on the track have a 40kg roof rack fitted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 300bhpton

More
05 Jun 2020 08:21 #223276 by 300bhpton

Gadget wrote:

300bhpton wrote: I wouldn't say unusable. TBH if it turns the headlights on in daylight, the only way to know is if you happen to notice the small non-intrusive tell-tale on the dash. But you kind of have to be looking for it in daylight. I've never had anyone flash me or any other response.

I'm also not convinced the sensor works any different to most of the other cars on the roads with auto headlights.

It's rapid changes in illumination that's the issue, there doesn't appear to be any built-in delay before the lights turn themselves on then off again. Drive under a bridge on a sunny day and you'll flash the car in front as they cycle on/off rapidly. Every other car I've had with auto lights has a delay of a couple of seconds before the lights turn on, which avoids this issue.

I agree, they do seem eager to turn on, even driving under some shady trees can cause it, despite it still being very bright out. On reflection I do think this is worse than some other cars for this kind of situation. Although we have a small bridge with traffic lights down the road, and despite it only being dark for a sec or two, it also causes lots of cars to do similar, despite the fact lights are needed.

They do seem to stay on for a few seconds after activation though, I wouldn't call it a 'flash'. I couldn't tell you how long, but must be 5-10 secs. And thus far I haven't had a single reaction from other vehicles, so it seems not to bother them.

And I only notice because people have said about it on here. The tell-tale on the dash is pretty subtle. I agree it is an issue, but I can't say it is one that bothers me or has any impact on any aspect of driving and owning the car.
The following user(s) said Thank You: B3Hulk

• B3Hulk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jun 2020 22:39 #223620 by B3Hulk

Busta wrote: [quote="300bhpton" post=223256

I agree, but I can't help but notice that none of those cars on the track have a 40kg roof rack fitted.

Of course not, why would you be fully loaded on a track? No one should be driving fully loaded unless they need it. Also, my rack doesn't weigh 40kgs, more like 27kgs + give or take 5kgs for light and expedition rail.

I know you are adamant that the roof rack is the cause but as mention multiple times on this forum, with the rack on or off I was still having issues with the body leaning. I no longer have this issue with upgrades spring sand shocks so I assume that there must of been an issues there.

I have spoken to a few Australian owners and they most have complained about the jelly feeling of the stock suspension before upgrading.

Also, I went to 2 different weigh bridges to see maybe there was an issue with the previous one but still got fairly similar results. With it being fully loaded as if I was going camping, the Jimny weighed 1,295kgs at the first bridge and 1,293kgs at the second.

300bhpton wrote:
There are multiple vids of people going round the Nurburgring in Germany with the Jimny, you can clearly see that even when being pushed hard on a race track, there is still very little lean going on.

I agree, they do seem eager to turn on, even driving under some shady trees can cause it, despite it still being very bright out. On reflection I do think this is worse than some other cars for this kind of situation. Although we have a small bridge with traffic lights down the road, and despite it only being dark for a sec or two, it also causes lots of cars to do similar, despite the fact lights are needed

Thanks for the vids, looks like it would be fun taking the little Jimny on the track but I am sure we would be lapped by everything haha. Do you know if they had stock suspension?

Odd, most complaints are about the auto lights but I don't think I have had an issue of it being sensitive.

More
16 Jun 2020 16:35 #223640 by Busta

B3Hulk wrote:

Busta wrote: [quote="300bhpton" post=223256

Of course not, why would you be fully loaded on a track? No one should be driving fully loaded unless they need it. Also, my rack doesn't weigh 40kgs, more like 27kgs + give or take 5kgs for light and expedition rail.

I know you are adamant that the roof rack is the cause but as mention multiple times on this forum, with the rack on or off I was still having issues with the body leaning. I no longer have this issue with upgrades spring sand shocks so I assume that there must of been an issues there.

I have spoken to a few Australian owners and they most have complained about the jelly feeling of the stock suspension before upgrading.

Also, I went to 2 different weigh bridges to see maybe there was an issue with the previous one but still got fairly similar results. With it being fully loaded as if I was going camping, the Jimny weighed 1,295kgs at the first bridge and 1,293kgs at the second.

I don't doubt that's what the car weighs. I do doubt your claim that you were sat in it at the time. It simply doesn't add up, and it also doesn't make sense that you would go to the effort of taking it to a weighbridge, but then not get out when you weighed it.
I got the rack weights from Frontrunner's website, but sure, call it 32kg. That's still a lot of unnecessary weight. I had a few lengths of 2x4 on my roof the other day and the difference it made to the body roll was night and day.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds