× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Why diff breathers bug me.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2020 11:06 - 12 Apr 2020 11:07 #220985 by Andy2640
Why diff breathers bug me. was created by Andy2640
In a week where you find out your diff guards cause your bolts to leak oil, where you cant drive your jimny and now the obsessive issue i have around diff breathers.

I fitted my diff breathers yesterday. It was a major faff, but like all mechanical faffs i quite enjoyed it. Been under the car is where im happiest, i even watch lion documentries under there sometimes. :lol:

Anyways, it really bugs me because although ive tested the joints for air tightness, my OCD always has me thinking its leaky. The thought of driving through water and it letting in water scares the beejesus outta me. Ive Slapped gloopy oil around the seals but still i have the urge to blow down the pipe in the engine bay and test again and again for air tightness.

1st world problems.....
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Apr 2020 11:07 by Andy2640.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2020 15:50 #220997 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Why diff breathers bug me.
Hey Andy, to cure your anxiety you should watch some 'tortue test' videos on YouTube using those pneumatic shark bite fittings. Thats how I enjoy spending most Saturday evenings - watching random c**p like that :side:

I can't think of an easy way to pressure test a breather setup without disturbing a joint that you've just set. Too many anomaly's! I wouldn't go worrying too much, just watch out for kinks with that black ARB tubing. If in doubt follow the factory brake lines all the way :silly:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

More
12 Apr 2020 15:53 #220998 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Why diff breathers bug me.
They will be fine even if they have a slight leak, which I very much doubt.
Enjoy your wading safe in the knowledge that the original one way valve drinking straw has been replaced with fresh oxygen supply tube.:cheer:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
12 Apr 2020 16:21 #221004 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Why diff breathers bug me.
Blow down the tube.

More
12 Apr 2020 17:36 #221006 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Why diff breathers bug me.
Here's some reassurance for you Andy. Here's a pic of one of my paintball markers, it's an old one from the early 90s. Those push fit hoses take compressed air from an air tank regulator at 800psi and don't leak, so I think you'll be fine with ambient air pressure :)

Attachments:

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2020 19:48 #221010 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Why diff breathers bug me.
Hi everyone,

Thabks for your replies. I have blown down both tubes today, created a bit of pressure puffing my cheeks like a Guppee fish, and im glad to announce that they held my fat cheeks firm, and better still privided that tell-tale fishy diff smell, so it wasnt any tube kinks.

To be safe ill be blowing my engine bay tubes for the next few months, just to satisfy my OCD.:laugh:

The hoses provided by the wonderful soeley are amazing, and any leaks will be down to the screwfix direct jubalee clips and nowt else lol.

Cheers fella's

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2020 19:52 #221012 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Why diff breathers bug me.
Hope the neighbours weren't watching :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :whistle:

More
13 Apr 2020 05:32 #221018 by Max Headroom
LMAO

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
13 Apr 2020 09:14 #221029 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Why diff breathers bug me.
Great storytelling!

A very common vacuum error on the merc G wagen diesel is the fuel cut off valve. Subsequently a very common solution is to reroute the vacuum hose in to the cab thru the firewall to the next vacuum source.
So if you see a GW parked and the driver bends over the dash and gets all red faced and hollow cheeks do not worry. He is only trying to stop the rusty tractor. :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds