BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny Modifications

More
25 Feb 2020 21:24 #219080 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Jimny Modifications
I have 235 75 15 on the original alloy wheels, works fine. See no point in et30 unless you have wider tires that do not clear the springs or inner fenders. I have had et 25 or et30 on my SJ and they did not improve the ride! :)
If I had wider wheels with my 235 tires they wouldn't clear the front bumper at all. Now they rub just a bit not too much. If I sometime get Iceland flares then I'll change to 8"et20 and 30".maybe..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2020 23:03 #219086 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Jimny Modifications
Sometimes it's just personal preference rather than putting spacers on down the line offset is better than spacers in my opinion. Haven't changed the bearings yet in the six years I have had them on, although I don't do many miles year and I wanted a wider stance

• ColinTheViking
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2020 23:33 #219087 by ColinTheViking
Replied by ColinTheViking on topic Jimny Modifications
I’m planning to use it as my daily as well as weekend off-roading, I reckon I will be doing 8000-10000 miles per year so possibly it is best to have less offset eg. E0, do you know how far out towards the arches this would be? Preferably I would like it to be in line with the arches.

• ColinTheViking
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2020 23:39 #219088 by ColinTheViking
—UPDATE—

So I’ve settled on a model and if all goes well and there are no issues I’m picking up a 2007 Hardtop on Sunday.

The plan for the year is to steadily make these modifications (listed below). Would I be able to get some advice one what should be done first, how it should be done, any technical information that will be useful and so on.

I’m planning to keep this topic updated to show the build and get the community to help influence it and so on.

Modifications:

- [ ] Suspension lift
- [ ] Castor correction
- [ ] Steels and large AT tyres
- [ ] Snorkel
- [ ] Roof cage/rack
- [ ] Arch flares (if required)
- [ ] Tow hitch
- [ ] Bumper bull bars (or slimline bumper)
- [ ] Bumper cut (if bumper isn’t replaced)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Feb 2020 05:37 #219091 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny Modifications
It's your car and your choice to go with what you want but if you're looking to daily it all the above modification will make it worse. It won't handle as well if it is tall, it won't accelerate if the tyres are too big, a roof system will eat fuel and metal bumpers reduce payload and make it heavier and harder to stop. And that's before you combine the above and factor the cumulative effect of all of them together. Yes it will look cool but it might also only be doing 25mpg or less. What you can live with on a weekend toy is going to take some living with on a daily. I work Dreadnaught off road every day on the farm and other than a roof system I don't have any of your proposed plans and I don't have any problems getting where I need to be and I still have a comfortable car to use on the road. I know most people don't want to hear me but I have to offer a counter view to add balance and help you make the best decision for you.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
26 Feb 2020 06:42 #219093 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Jimny Modifications
I would second Lambert on this.

1) In addition to what you write, probably the the most effective device would be a 12V compressor so that you can deflate your tires when off-road and inflate them when on the street again.

2) The next item would be tires, I would recommend the original dimension but something meander looking.

3) Something that affects off-road capability heavily but does not influence on road behavior would be manual diff lockers. So I would recommend a rear diff locker and if you still have money left also a front locker.

4) Depending on where you go off-road and if you do it alone a winch might be very useful. If you off road alone, the a winch is almost a „must have“. Also, a winch does not influence the on road driving (except for the weight) but is extremely useful

All the Best and send some pictures

• ColinTheViking
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2020 10:05 #219100 by ColinTheViking
I understand this is a bit vein as I shouldn't really care too much about how the car will look but I have seen a photo (link below) of a jimny that for me is what I would like to see the one I get look similar to eventually.

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?tit...22_and_body_lift.jpg

I know that many of the modifications on this build are more than I will need especially for more daily driving than off-roading however the main thing for me is the wheel sizes and how much I could push without lifting (lifting will come at a later stage). Could anybody suggest a way, or what tyre sizes and rims will fit whilst also maintaining good grip for weekend off-roading and also not looking too small for the vehicle if you know what I mean.

More
26 Feb 2020 11:31 #219103 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Jimny Modifications
The car pictured is one of the most highly modified Jimny's you will ever find..... I have spent many hours following it. Lakes, Dales, Peaks it is one hell of a car with about six inch of total lift, I think it was running 33' tyres. Many thousands of pounds spent on it.

Big tyres cost lots of money to do properly, they alter the gearing and cause breakages in the transfer box, clutch, CV's and driveshafts.

All of those components need to be upgraded to do it correctly and have a drivable / reliable car.

215/75x15 is as big as you want to go without spending big bucks...

I lane all over and am only on 215's and AT's at that. You don't need massive tyres to drive lanes or super aggressive tread patterns.

My car is still a nice drive on tarmac, you definitely won't be saying that, if you fit big mud tyres....

sniper

• ColinTheViking
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2020 11:34 #219104 by ColinTheViking
Great thanks for the advice, apparently the tyres in this are 215/75/15

uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20150505/c9dfcc...d10a973d4ef7beeb.jpg

This photo is with a 2” lift however I’m wondering for the time being would this fit on standard suspension?

More
26 Feb 2020 11:34 #219105 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Jimny Modifications
215/75/15 new branded tyres.same size in retread will not fit
You will have to trim front bumper for the 215's
This size will not look out of place with the 2" lift later

• ColinTheViking
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2020 11:37 #219106 by ColinTheViking
Does trimming front bumper create any issues except from leading to removal of fog lights?

More
26 Feb 2020 11:44 #219107 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Jimny Modifications
Look at Daniel30's he cut his bumper full length
You can get away with just trimming where it catches about 1/2 inch to remove
I have some BFG km2 MT tyres and i don't rate them
good on road,rocks,hard pact ground not so good in mud

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds