× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Quaife ATB differential

More
22 Jul 2022 06:18 - 22 Jul 2022 06:18 #244188 by G0bble
Replied by G0bble on topic Quaife ATB differential
Hey Folks
I forgot to post a follow-up question - its been more than a year since I fit the LSD. During the installation and assembly of bearings I handed them the thrust washers I had purchased and the mechanic said "not needed". I was like "WTF?!1" and he kept insisting "not required". In the video above posted by Martin the video jumps at 16:00 to being mostly assembled with bearings so I could not figure where exactly it should have been slipped in.
Can anyone clarify? I thought thrust washers are absolutely required to go in between the contact point of the moving parts of the bearing and any other metal surface therefore I am perlexed!

Thanks for your inputs on this.
Last edit: 22 Jul 2022 06:18 by G0bble.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2022 06:50 #244189 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Quaife ATB differential
They are tapered bearings, so I can't see why a thrust washer would be needed. I certainly don't recall fitting any when I did mine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: G0bble

More
22 Jul 2022 07:37 #244190 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Quaife ATB differential
There are none, they are not needed.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: G0bble

More
22 Jul 2022 09:19 - 22 Jul 2022 09:35 #244191 by G0bble
Replied by G0bble on topic Quaife ATB differential
Thanks Guys!
One last question - I only did extreme conditions once or twice and in a section of deep wet clay slippery as hell and my Zuk kept sliding left and right from the rear as I tapped the accelerator while my steering wheel was spinning hard either left or right as the LSD kicked in with such great force that it was hard to hold on to and resist its spin. I mean the steering wheel behaved like a beast was spinning it at a high rpm with some real brute force...
Is that an outcome of my driving style with tip-tap acceleration or is that normal to be expected with the LSD?
Last edit: 22 Jul 2022 09:35 by G0bble.

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds