BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Thinking of buying a diesel Jimny-a few questions

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Apr 2015 09:24 - 15 Apr 2015 09:25 #142514 by OllieNZ

Adam32 wrote:

OllieNZ wrote: [quote="Adam32" post=142476
You need a mechanical pump for veg, common rail diesel engines don't really appreciate it.

Did not realise it was common rail, know nothing about that particular engine.

The joys of modern diesels......
Last edit: 15 Apr 2015 09:25 by OllieNZ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2015 10:06 #142519 by kirkynut

Adam32 wrote: So say if I went for the diesel jimny and assuming the transfer box is the same as on the petrol - would it be an electric selection transfer box? If so any idea if anyone does a manual leaver to convert this? One of the first thing I did when I got my Ssangyoung was remove the electric motor on the transfer box and fit a manual leaver mechanism that someone custom makes in the states. I just hate electrics and don't trust them. At least with something mechanical you know where you are. Anyone know if somone makes a custom solution for the Jimny transfer box?

It is my belief that the hole is in the floor with a screwed down cover plate for the manual transfer box and that all the mountings are the same. The internal plastic mouldings around it may differ though. So I believe if you got a manual old style transfer box and removed the cover in the floor that covers the manual lever's hole, you ought to be able to fit a manual box.

You will need the rubber seal for that hole also to stop wind noise and drafts and any differing internal plastics around the handbrake area. You'll have to cut a hole in the carpet for it to come through also.

My belief is based on seeing a user on here called Zukenutter from Australia fit a Rocklobster transfer box in his later push button transfer box Jimny. If he could do that, surely you can do the simpler conversion you speak of.

This all assumes that the prop lengths were the same between push button transfer box and manual transfer box cars. Otherwise props are easy and cheap to find but the one I would not be sure of is the transfer box to gearbox mini prop.

Anyone with knowledge of these bits?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adam32

• Adam32
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Apr 2015 21:38 #142697 by Adam32

kirkynut wrote: It is my belief that the hole is in the floor with a screwed down cover plate for the manual transfer box and that all the mountings are the same. The internal plastic mouldings around it may differ though. So I believe if you got a manual old style transfer box and removed the cover in the floor that covers the manual lever's hole, you ought to be able to fit a manual box.
Kirkynut

Many thanks for this information, that's really useful to know. What year did they change from manual to electric? Were all the manual boxes the same? Also I would like to fit a transmission brake once I have done the conversion and believe Xbrake used to sell a kit. Were these kits for the old style boxes?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Apr 2015 06:47 #142701 by Lambert
2004/5 was the change point. Why on earth do you want a transfer brake for they're a numb idea at the best of times?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Apr 2015 09:28 #142708 by TomDK

Adam32 wrote:

kirkynut wrote: It is my belief that the hole is in the floor with a screwed down cover plate for the manual transfer box and that all the mountings are the same. The internal plastic mouldings around it may differ though. So I believe if you got a manual old style transfer box and removed the cover in the floor that covers the manual lever's hole, you ought to be able to fit a manual box.
Kirkynut

Many thanks for this information, that's really useful to know. What year did they change from manual to electric? Were all the manual boxes the same? Also I would like to fit a transmission brake once I have done the conversion and believe Xbrake used to sell a kit. Were these kits for the old style boxes?

X-eng make a transfercase brake for LR Defender. Not a Jimny or other vehicles.

But agree with 11/60, why? It's just another thing to break, especially due to the place it's mouted. It'll be the lowest point hitting rocks and dirt etc.

• Adam32
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Apr 2015 09:50 #142709 by Adam32

TomDK wrote: X-eng make a transfercase brake for LR Defender. Not a Jimny or other vehicles.

I thought they did make some Suzuki stuff - have a look at this link:

foundry4x4.co.uk/index.php?route=product...5_1757&product_id=80

I suppose it's all down to personal preference , but I really like the Xbrake stuff I saw on a few Defenders - tended to grip much better. Plus if you fit a transmission brake, for normal everyday driving it tends to be out of the way of all the mud and other rubbish, so less likely to seize. But I agree it is personal preference.

More
18 Apr 2015 10:39 #142710 by Jezz
E-eng did or maybe still do make a brake for the sj transfer box as I have one on a lobster box in my Jimny. It's very good and works very well, It's only downside is, if you jack one rear wheel up with an open diff it will roll away, So I have to remember to lock the rear diff or put in 4 wheel drive when lifting a rear wheel if im not on level ground.

It's been fettled just a tad.

• Adam32
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Apr 2015 12:05 #142711 by Adam32

Jezz wrote: E-eng did or maybe still do make a brake for the sj transfer box as I have one on a lobster box in my Jimny. It's very good and works very well, It's only downside is, if you jack one rear wheel up with an open diff it will roll away, So I have to remember to lock the rear diff or put in 4 wheel drive when lifting a rear wheel if im not on level ground.

So was it just for the Sj? Did E-eng not produce a brake for the 3rd generation jimny? If not, any idea if the SJ box can be fitted in place of the electric shift boxes on the 2005 or later Jimny? I ask these questions as I would really like an Xbrake on a newer jimny.

More
18 Apr 2015 12:16 #142712 by Jezz
I believe an sj transfer box can be fitted with the required mods (props, mounts ect), So you then just need to source the x-brake.

It's been fettled just a tad.

• Adam32
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Apr 2015 16:07 #142715 by Adam32

Jezz wrote: I believe an sj transfer box can be fitted with the required mods (props, mounts ect)

Thanks for confirming this. Do you know if there are any write ups from people who have done this, as been looking on here and can't find much?

• nick40
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Apr 2015 09:59 #142752 by nick40
Good Luck driving a Jimny to Poland, by the time you get there (allow twice as long as you would in your current Car) you will feel like you have been on a trip with Phileas Fogg

• Adam32
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Apr 2015 23:31 #142804 by Adam32

nick40 wrote: Good Luck driving a Jimny to Poland, by the time you get there (allow twice as long as you would in your current Car) you will feel like you have been on a trip with Phileas Fogg

Is it really that bad! I once met a guy who drove from UK to Angola in a Jimny :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds