BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Which phone/tablet for laning?

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2013 08:35 #73234 by Smoggy
Which phone/tablet for laning? was created by Smoggy
I just wondered which phone or tablet you guys are using for your Viewranger or Memory map programs when out laning. I am currently using my Samsung S2 smartphone but really think it's a bit on the small side to follow whilst driving.

I was contemplating getting an Ipad size device and fitting it in some sort of cradle. Has anyone else done something similar. Yes I am quite anal when it comes to detail :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• GWR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2013 09:55 #73243 by GWR
Replied by GWR on topic Which phone/tablet for laning?
Hi Soggy, oops I mean Smoggy tee hee stupid predictive text :whistle: I have memory map on my HTC one x now, not the one I was using last trip out. If you want a bigger screen, how about the galaxy note? I have a Google nexus 7 tablet on which I have installed memory map but it doesn't have 3g so am not sure if it will work when out and about. I think the gps is dependent on having a network connection but haven't tested it yet. If so then that is a step backwards in my opinion as my old xda orbit works fine without a sim card in it! Oh and you an get a Google nexus with 3g now.

• Blissett
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2013 10:18 #73246 by Blissett
Replied by Blissett on topic Which phone/tablet for laning?
You need something that stores the maps on the device. I use an ipad with memory map..

• GWR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2013 10:28 #73247 by GWR

Blissett wrote: You need something that stores the maps on the device. I use an ipad with memory map..

Most smart phones and tablets will do that, the question is do you need a network connection to use the gps?

More
09 Jun 2013 10:58 #73249 by mlines
You do not need a network connection for genuine GPS.

If your tablet has a genuine GPS receiver in it then it works independent of the network.
However, the mapping software you use has to be loaded on the tablet, not interactive from the web.

Be careful of systems that are A-GPS. Some have a GPS receiver and use the cellphone service to assist in quick turn on location (=good) some have no GPS at all and "fake" it from cellphone signals (=bad)

As a lot of tablets do not have GPS you can use a separate Vodafone Key Ring Bluetooth receiver which are quite cheap on ebay (thats what I do with my HP Slate 7)

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smoggy

• GWR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2013 12:36 #73258 by GWR

mlines wrote: You do not need a network connection for genuine GPS.

If your tablet has a genuine GPS receiver in it then it works independent of the network.
However, the mapping software you use has to be loaded on the tablet, not interactive from the web.

Be careful of systems that are A-GPS. Some have a GPS receiver and use the cellphone service to assist in quick turn on location (=good) some have no GPS at all and "fake" it from cellphone signals (=bad)

As a lot of tablets do not have GPS you can use a separate Vodafone Key Ring Bluetooth receiver which are quite cheap on ebay (thats what I do with my HP Slate 7)
U
Martin

Yup that's why I need to check my tablet, as I am not sure if it has genuine gps, which I doubt. My xda orbit which I carry when walking doesn't need a sim coz it has a proper gps receiver built in. I have a bluetooth gps receiver which I completely forgot about :pinch:

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2013 19:53 #73315 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Which phone/tablet for laning?
Many thanks for your info guys. I was aware of the need for a dedicated program for the laning application and I have Viewranger installed. Interesting points about the GPS functioning though. Thank you.

• GWR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jun 2013 17:50 #74154 by GWR
Hey Smoggy I have N update for you! I have tried my Nexus 7 tablet out in the middle of nowhere and it definitely has built in gps and works a treat :) no need for a Internet connection :woohoo: an a good sized screen too :woohoo: :woohoo:

• Smoggy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2013 06:20 #74214 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Which phone/tablet for laning?
Wow Graeme that's great. I was looking at the Nexus 7 as well!

Good news that I don't need to start pratting around with sim cards too. It wasn't very clear on their website about the gps.

Thanks mate.

• jimnydms
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2013 07:25 #74219 by jimnydms
Replied by jimnydms on topic Re:Which phone/tablet for laning?
Just to hijack this thread a little bit what is everyone using on iPhone / iPad (non cellular) for laning any recommended apps ?

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2013 13:22 #74259 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic Which phone/tablet for laning?
I would love to get me a Sony Xperia Z Tablet, because it looks awesome and it's also dust and water proof! B) Too bad it's just a bit pricey... :(

I've been thinking about getting a 2DIN Android car player with 7" screen. I already have an X-Trons GD965 or what ever the number is, but there isn't much good map software available for it because it's running WinCE, so that's why Android would be more tempting option...

• bigoffroader
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2013 19:48 #74301 by bigoffroader
Replied by bigoffroader on topic Re:Which phone/tablet for laning?

jimnydms wrote: Just to hijack this thread a little bit what is everyone using on iPhone / iPad (non cellular) for laning any recommended apps ?

I'm using the memory-map app on my iphone as I have every os map on disc's from my windows pda days so can upload them through their server

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds