BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny For Work?..

• Grizzly
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2013 20:53 #70430 by Grizzly
Jimny For Work?.. was created by Grizzly
This is going to be my first post on the forum but I'm after some advice.

I'm a professional mole catcher and I'm wanting a 4x4 to get about on the fields as well as for general day to day stuff. I've looked at some of the 'regular' 4x4's and they would cost far too much to run to make things profitable but then someone recommended a Jimny. I've never had anything to do with them before so thought I'd get some advice (allbeit maybe biased ;) ) from 'those in the know' :)

I don't need to carry much gear, a few hundred traps, some buckets and marker sticks so the smaller size of the Jimny doesn't bother me. At the minute I'm using my 306 estate so if I can get my gear in the boot of that, a Jimny with the rear seats removed should suffice...

Most of my work is on the hill farms of the Yorkshire Dales (just to give you an idea as to the terrain I'll be on)

Nice weather

Not so nice weather

Cheers for any advice

Grizz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2013 21:14 #70432 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic Jimny For Work?..
Hi there just like to welcome you along to your first post on the site and say a jimny would be perfect for that job just put some a/t tyres on it and you'll be right as rain don't go for too big or else it'll get poor on the fuel usage stay around the same sort of size as standard tyres but definitely not keep the Bridgestone duellers as they're pretty poor on wet roads never mind muddy fields :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grizzly

• benny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2013 22:04 #70436 by benny
Replied by benny on topic Jimny For Work?..
hi and welcome to bigjimny. a jimny will be good for your job its nice and light all you need is a set of all terrains on I think the biggest tyre you can put on standard with no lift is 215/75/15. on here if you go to my jimny and click on rolling project erm.. they are some pics 3rd and 4th of the boot of a jimny this is the spot you need to look at when you go to buy one and at the back of the front head lights and sills :)

• Grizzly
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2013 22:36 #70437 by Grizzly
Replied by Grizzly on topic Jimny For Work?..
Cheers for the replies ;)

I've seen a nice looking Jimny on Autotrader, a 1999 1.3 JLX, 79000 miles, long test, £1295... I think I might give them a call in the morning see about getting it, if they still have it :lol:

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 May 2013 22:53 #70438 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Jimny For Work?..
Ha ha ha, here in Oz a mole is a um, loose-morals sheila, ha ha ha. I didn't realise there were underground rodents lol.

:woohoo:

Was gonna ask you to save me some :whistle:

B)

More
11 May 2013 00:24 #70442 by Basketcase
Replied by Basketcase on topic Jimny For Work?..
Yea 215's are the biggest that fit, that's what the rnli jimnys have on theirs and they completely fill the arches I don't know what they're like for rubbing and stuff but sure looks good with them on

More
11 May 2013 04:35 #70443 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Jimny For Work?..
welcome Grizzly,
can't wait to see the stickers you put on

one sticker for every 100 moles :P
Attachments:

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2013 12:26 #70462 by adamjimny
Replied by adamjimny on topic Jimny For Work?..
for the job you will be doing STANDARD tires will be fine. you will NOT need at tires. jimnys are very good in standard form.

• Grizzly
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2013 12:38 #70466 by Grizzly
I found a Jimny that I was wanting but it'll probably be gone by the time I've the cash... It's a 99 1.3JLX £1295 79000 miles, full 12 months tax, tested till September, although no advisories issued at last test...

The person who was lending me the money isn't able to do cash and the garage isn't able to accept card payments. I've cash coming but not till the end of next week :(

• little jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2013 14:52 #70477 by little jimny
Replied by little jimny on topic Jimny For Work?..

Grizzly wrote: The person who was lending me the money isn't able to do cash and the garage isn't able to accept card payments. I've cash coming but not till the end of next week :(

If you really want the car you've seen can't you just put down a £100 deposit on it so they hold it 'til you've got the cash organised?

• Grizzly
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 May 2013 14:58 #70478 by Grizzly
That was an option but they're over 70 miles away and don't accept card payments

More
12 May 2013 16:03 #70547 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Jimny For Work?..
I would be inclined to hold out for a slightly younger 2000 x on model with the twin cam engine with the chain not cam beltto be honest - now is the time of year to buy a Jimny so you'll not have a hard time finding one - have a look on eBay etc.

Wet grass is a slippery sucker to drive on, so I would suggest getting All Terrains, even in standad size.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds