BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

My New Jimny! :)

• hjb_1990
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2013 18:18 #57702 by hjb_1990
My New Jimny! :) was created by hjb_1990
Hi Guys,

Im new to the forum and just wanted to say hi. Ive just bought my first Jimny and am new to all this 4x4 lark so hope to learn alot from this great site & forum.

I do have a few questions if anyone is up for helping. I have attached a picture of my Jimny below and need to know a few things...

1. I have standard road tyres on my Jimny at the mo (205/70/R15) and i want to get all terrains for it as i will be using it off road for shooting etc... Will it take 16" tyres as it is standard or will it require a lift or spacers? I only ask because 16" seem much easier to come by than all terrains in the above spec... (unless anyone knows of any going cheap!?!?)

2. Can i buy and/or get fitted a towbar and electrics to my Jimny as it doesn't come with one as standard but would be useful for tasks on my shoot. Will it require the bumper to be cut etc... and is it a job i could do myself or is it best to get a garage to do this?

I'm sure there more but i hope to feed from your knowledge over time ;)

Thanks to all,

Harry
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dan_w
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2013 19:10 #57705 by Dan_w
Replied by Dan_w on topic My New Jimny! :)
Hi Harry

Welcome to the forum, I am unsure about the tow bar but expect you will easily find one on eBay that will need little work to fit. As for the tyres you can't fit 16 inch tyres without changing the wheels you presently have 15 inch wheels fitted so will have to stick to 15 nc tyres unless you get some new wheels. There are plenty do threads about what tyres fit with and without a lift if you have a quick search around.

• supergaz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2013 19:21 #57706 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic My New Jimny! :)
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationWelcome to Bigjimny

AT's here www.4x4tyres.co.uk/advanced_search_resul...der=1&4=18&5=56&6=65

I'd say you would be better to fit some 215/15/15 instead to give a little lift under the diffs.

Going down the 16" wheel route is not worth it.

Towbar here, there may be cheaper but this is the cheapest I found on a quick search.

Fitting a towbar is a doddle for me, but I am an engineer! but a simple socket set is all you should need.
Wiring is also easy, you don't even need a bypass relay on the jimny,but this depends on your electrical abilities.
Instructions here www.bigjimny.com/images/documents/jimny_towbar_install.pdf
However don't use scotch locks, they are BAD! solder connections and use heat shrink for a reliable connection.

• hjb_1990
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2013 19:28 - 10 Jan 2013 19:30 #57708 by hjb_1990
Replied by hjb_1990 on topic My New Jimny! :)
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThanks for the reply guys. Since original post i have been looking on ebay and found these:

Are they likely to fit on my wheels and the standard Jimny?

Im clueless in regards to wheels/tyres etc...

Thanks for towbar info... looks good.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2013 19:30 by hjb_1990. Reason: missed out the link

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2013 19:32 - 10 Jan 2013 19:35 #57710 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic My New Jimny! :)
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI just fitted a towbar like this one today. Took me about 1 hour.

Easy job and it seems like great quality.
And no cutting in bumper required. Just need to remove it to install towbar.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2013 19:35 by TomDK.

• JimnyDan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2013 19:55 #57711 by JimnyDan
Replied by JimnyDan on topic My New Jimny! :)
Welcome, lovely jimny you got there! I went for 215/75/15 on my jimny and its been great - lowered the fuel consumption a bit though (probably because mine are mud terrain)
You will have a great time with the drop top for going shooting, my mate has a grand vitara with a drop top and you can just kneel on the back seats with a rifle out on the roof if your lamping etc :)

• mudman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2013 19:55 #57712 by mudman
Replied by mudman on topic My New Jimny! :)
or keep the rims you have and take your pick of these tyresdirectuk.co.uk/shop/search.php

• hjb_1990
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2013 20:20 #57713 by hjb_1990
Replied by hjb_1990 on topic My New Jimny! :)
Yeah thats what we do lamping at night for foxes and rabbits so once i have decent wheels the soft top will be perfect for this with some sort of rest on the roof and someone in the back shooting.

And once the tow bar is fitted i will be able to use it to go feeding aswell on my little shoot. Other than that i probably wont modify it much more. If i can get the ones on ebay for £150 ill probably give them a go.

Cheers for your help again,
Harry

Attachments:

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2013 20:28 #57714 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic My New Jimny! :)
A very warm welcome to our fine forum it’s good to have you join us ….….….….….… ;)

• JimnyDan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2013 20:36 #57717 by JimnyDan
Replied by JimnyDan on topic My New Jimny! :)
You might also be tempted to get a 2/3" suspension lift
My jimny sits a bit low going round our shoot ground with 300kg of grain in!
Anyhow, it is a very capable car with just a decent set of tyres :)

• GuardianAngel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2013 20:53 #57718 by GuardianAngel
Replied by GuardianAngel on topic Re: My New Jimny! :)
Welcome :)

• mudman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2013 22:22 #57723 by mudman
Replied by mudman on topic My New Jimny! :)

hjb_1990 wrote: Yeah thats what we do lamping at night for foxes and rabbits so once i have decent wheels the soft top will be perfect for this with some sort of rest on the roof and someone in the back shooting.

And once the tow bar is fitted i will be able to use it to go feeding aswell on my little shoot. Other than that i probably wont modify it much more. If i can get the ones on ebay for £150 ill probably give them a go.

Cheers for your help again,
Harry

you may want to think agen on them goodyear AT/R's are not the best on wet grass and sticky stuff think you'll be beter with these tyresdirectuk.co.uk/shop/product-info.php?prodname=&id=16581

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds