BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny bike rack

• jimnydms
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Mar 2012 20:21 #35598 by jimnydms
Jimny bike rack was created by jimnydms
Hi bit of a weird one has anyone ever fitted any kind of bike rack to a jimny and has been ok with or with out removing the spare wheel, cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Mar 2012 20:34 #35600 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: Jimny bike rack
I have two Thule racks

One that mounts on the back door, clip-on type, and another towbar mounted one.
Fairly sure the clip-on will fit with the spare removed, but never tried it... can do so if you wish and i can take some photos. Put it on ebay once and it never sold even though its like new

The tow bar mounted one is the dogs dangles... but cost £300+ and then the price of a removable towbar!
Never used them for a bike, but for a kite buggy.

• little jimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Mar 2012 20:52 - 15 Mar 2012 20:53 #35602 by little jimny
Replied by little jimny on topic Re: Jimny bike rack
Halfords do one that clips over the spare wheel. Take a look here . Couldn't tell you if it's any good though!
Last edit: 15 Mar 2012 20:53 by little jimny.

More
15 Mar 2012 21:00 #35603 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: Jimny bike rack
I got given one by my brother that he used on his sammy. It clamps up around the spare and has a strap to the top of the door with a hook. The arms fold in when not in use.
Its brilliant, however, when carrying 2 adult bikes on it you can really feel the weight. I've not quite got deep enough pockets to get a nice ultra light bike yet!
I usually run an extra ratchet strap round the roof bars too do there's not quite so much weight on the door.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Mar 2012 21:01 #35605 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Jimny bike rack
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationthis is what you want

• srcars
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2012 07:26 - 16 Mar 2012 07:33 #35628 by srcars
Replied by srcars on topic Re: Jimny bike rack
I use a spare wheel mount rack with no problems, But the bikes cover the rear lights so if you want to stay legal you really need a light board. I fitted a trailer electrics socket next to the numberplate

Last edit: 16 Mar 2012 07:33 by srcars.

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2012 09:11 #35633 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Re: Jimny bike rack
I've got a bike rack that clamps onto the towball and then locks on to it and is ultra light. When unclamped it folds up very compact. Will take a pic in the daylight over weekend and post here. It is Italian made, cool design and no need to remove spare wheel.

• bluejimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2012 10:30 #35635 by bluejimny
Replied by bluejimny on topic Re: Jimny bike rack
I like the smiley Diff :)

More
16 Mar 2012 13:43 #35644 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Re: Jimny bike rack
I've got a converted Freelander / Disco one -

(Pinched the idea from Richie! ;) )

It's only a matter of redrilling the backing plate so the PCD matches the Suzuki bolt pattern.

So I just have a stub there day-to-day, and just slide the rack on and lock it on with a padlock...

They're on eBay for around £75...

HTH

Dave

• distantcamera
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2012 22:18 #35689 by distantcamera
Replied by distantcamera on topic Re: Jimny bike rack
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI just bought this:

But so far I haven't found a sensible way to fit it! Basically its just two prongs. I assume all the jimny spare wheel carriers are the same, but basically mine has 2 studs at the top and one at the bottom, with two holes spare at the bottom. Ideally the bolts for the prongs would go through these holes. Unfortunately there is no way to tighten them at the back as you can't get in with tools with the spare in place.

I emailed the seller and they said just to bolt the progs straight onto the spare wheel and then mount that on the carrier, trapping the bolt heads between the wheel and the carrier. My problem with that is that the wheel would then not be mounted flat against the carrier as there would be gaps where the actual spare wheel studs are. I'm not sure that that would be good for the alloy wheel (it might not matter - I just don't know).

I was thinking of trying to get someone to make up a plate that could go between the spare and the carrier (the studs are long enough) and then the prongs could be bolted to that, sticking through the gaps in the alloy itself. This would mean that I could leave the bike carrier on pretty much all the time. No idea where I'd get that made though :dry:

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Mar 2012 04:17 #35694 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Re: Jimny bike rack
Here is my bike rack.

Very compact, here it is folded up

File Attachment:

Attaches in under a minute

File Attachment:

My old downhill racer

File Attachment:

Bike on bike carrier

File Attachment:

Carrier is padlocked to towball, when bike is mounted the bar has a lock built in
Bike carrier weighs 3.1 kg
Details on Bike Carrier...
Meyster Spa Italy
Art: 18615T01P
Lot Prod: 7485228
Date 09/05/2003
2 bike Max 30 KG

I've had it for 5 years or more, cost $65 and I reckon it is the best thing since sliced bread :woohoo:

More
17 Mar 2012 06:01 #35696 by Halford
Replied by Halford on topic Re: Jimny bike rack

Attachment bike-rack-01.JPG not found

Attachment bike-rack-02.JPG not found

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds