× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Any one do regular long journeys in their Jimny

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Oct 2011 09:36 - 26 Oct 2011 09:48 #24507 by Topper
Hi all
The jimny is our second car which we had as a run about for local trips etc ,also its the soft top so we thought,great in the summer and even better in the winter , we live in a small village which is a pig to get out of with just a light covering of snow / ice

We do travel to Poole in Dorset regulaly as we have a static caravan sited which is open 11 months a year

Now the winters on its way i was thinking of putting some miles on the jimny just in case the weather turns while we are down there, but the thought of 180 miles on the m42/m40/A34 /m3 and m27 kinda put me off a little
Dont get me wrong we love the jimny ,and we did start off years ago with a SJ410,then 2 Vitara 4U2s,so we have done basic with the old SJ

Just any thoughts,experiences etc of long motorway driving in a jimny

The car is totaly standard apart from a fastback roof
Also will have back seats folded so we have room 4 the 2 labz

Main car is a bmw 320d msport touring so thats outa the question when we have any cold white fluffy stuff

Topper
Last edit: 26 Oct 2011 09:48 by Topper. Reason: totaly standard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Oct 2011 09:39 #24508 by doncarlyon
Is the Jimny standard?

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Oct 2011 09:45 #24511 by Topper
Hi
Yes totaly standard,its the wifes lol:unsure:

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Oct 2011 09:56 #24513 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: Any one do regular long journeys in their Jimny
I've driven to Newquay, Cornwall twice, which is 250mile, 500mile round trip!

Its not great on the motorway, you are talking about 55-60mph to keep the car comfortable. People do get 70mph out of them... but the 1.3 lump doesn't sound great! They aren't great comfort wise... but i'm over 6ft and happy enough!

120mile wouldn't bother me, although its my only car

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Oct 2011 10:15 #24515 by doncarlyon
Ive never been in a standard one but would imagine it would be ok to use on motorways, as above, just dont expect to be bombing along at 90mph all day...

• redspider
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Oct 2011 10:29 #24516 by redspider
I've done a 450 mile round trip in a day in mine and it was ok.

I also commute 45 miles each way every weekday for the past 10 months in my jimny and it's tolerable. Mostly motorway, sit at 65mph and it's fine. This is with mud tyres fitted too! Maybe i have low standards when it comes to comfort...

More
26 Oct 2011 12:55 #24529 by Halford

I've done a 450 mile round trip in a day in mine and it was ok.

yeh, but did you have a wife sitting next to you :pinch:

• Topper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Oct 2011 13:58 #24534 by Topper
yes think about it,her in doors one side and two labz in the back askin if we there yet lmao

• Back in Black
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Oct 2011 15:11 #24544 by Back in Black
Replied by Back in Black on topic Re: Any one do regular long journeys in their Jimny
That's what the stereo is for isn't it - drowning out annoying noise? Just turn it UP

• Mumbo Jimbo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Oct 2011 15:17 - 26 Oct 2011 15:17 #24546 by Mumbo Jimbo
Replied by Mumbo Jimbo on topic Re: Any one do regular long journeys in their Jimny
I fnd it ok for long journeys if I take my 31" tyres off and put my 215/75's on. I tend to do somewhere between 60 and 70 mph and it's not too bad. I recently drove up from Epsom (south of London) to the lanes in Mid-Wales around the Strata Florida area and enjoyed the journey. Looking forward to the lanes probably helped.
Last edit: 26 Oct 2011 15:17 by Mumbo Jimbo. Reason: Spelling

More
26 Oct 2011 16:58 #24554 by dirtydogz
If you don't try it your never known, so put the dogs in back, the wife :dry: in the drivers seat, turn on the cd and relax.B)
Works for me :evil:

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....

• happypig
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2011 12:03 #24582 by happypig
Personally I'd get a set of steel wheels and winter tyres for the BMW

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds