BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

what springs can i use to lower my jimny....

• b16baz!
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Aug 2011 04:56 #20161 by b16baz!
Hi what springs can i use to lower my suspension,, as they dosnt seem to be a lowering kit on the market for the jimny,, i only want to lower it maybe 1 or 2 inches any info would be appreciated thanks baz..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• srcars
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Aug 2011 05:31 #20162 by srcars
Why ?

Never seen the point of buying a 4x4 and lowering it. Will you be requiring 20" chrome rims aswell.

Sorry each to there own ;)

You could always cut a coil or 2 off your coils but you may need new shocks to stop it bottoming out.

More
11 Aug 2011 05:49 - 11 Aug 2011 06:22 #20163 by dirtydogz
You will need custom-made lowering springs :dry: here a link to some one who can help you.:)
www.coilsprings.co.uk/
hope this helps you.
DIRTYDOGZ B)

www.google.co.uk/search?q=air+ride&hl=en...Q&sqi=2&ved=0CGYQsAQ
This Suzuki is fitted with air ride suspension :evil:

www.coilsprings.co.uk/offroad.htm

2002 JLX Soft Top B)
Jimnybits 2" lift +Pro Comp ES1000 shocks.:) Big Jimny rear shock mounts. Big Jimny adjustable panhard rods.
Big Jimny steering damper bracket. Disco Armstrong steering damper. 7X15 black modulars. 205/75/15 Maxxis 743 bravo m/t.Superpro camber correction bushes.Black A bar....
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Aug 2011 06:22 by dirtydogz.

More
11 Aug 2011 05:53 #20164 by mcjimny
Never heard of anybody lowering a jimny so i don't know the route you would take. Best suggestion is to speak to someone like Gaz or Koni they all do custom applications afaik.

Only other option would be to chop a couple of coils out of them but thats a pony mod and i'd never recommend it despite the many people i know that "have done it for years without a problem".

Now, time for a slight confession. I often thought how cool it would be to have a second jimny thats purely roadgoing - big alloys, airbag lowering and keep it mint and clean with a big install. Just because really. :blush:

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Aug 2011 06:01 #20165 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: what springs can i use to lower my jimny....
I've never seen a FatBoy Jimny... plenty of Vitaras about!

• b16baz!
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Aug 2011 06:44 #20167 by b16baz!
This is pure for more stabilty on the road.. Im doin alot of dual carridge driving and when its wet and windy doing 50mph or more just feels dangerous and sum times feels the car is going to blow over.. Any other ideas apart from lowering it would be great.. But i do personally think lowering it is the best option...

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Aug 2011 06:48 #20168 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: what springs can i use to lower my jimny....
Spacers... 30mm ish either side

Or buy a more suitable car for long fast journeys ;)

• b16baz!
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Aug 2011 06:52 #20169 by b16baz!
Do the spacers make a difference...?

More
11 Aug 2011 07:22 #20171 by mcjimny
Yep spacers or wider wheels, they will widen your track by approx 60mm.

You won't overcome the aerodynamic issues but the car will feel more stable generally, wide wheels or spacers with a more road biased tyre for commuting will make a massive difference. Cheapest and easiest route imo.

Having only been round the block with my wide wheels i can already feel how much better it drives.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Aug 2011 08:51 #20177 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: what springs can i use to lower my jimny....
there was a lowering kit for sale on ebay once

or you could fit airbags B)

More
11 Aug 2011 09:03 #20178 by ooky_123
Sorry but Why go to the bother of having a 4x4 if you are goign to lower it ?

Why not ditch the transfer box all together and the front diff / prop / hubs ..... ...:whistle:

Personally, get some spacers. Dads is standard height (ok, with AT2's) and he has 30mm spacers fitted. Handling is brilliant.

If you want to stiffen it up further, change the bushes for nylon ones although you will no doubt need the services of a good chiropractor afterwards !!!....

Have you thought of selling the Jimny and Buying maybe a Car ???:dry:

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• ZookFastback
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Aug 2011 09:10 #20179 by ZookFastback
Replied by ZookFastback on topic Re: what springs can i use to lower my jimny....

b16baz! wrote: Hi what springs can i use to lower my suspension,, as they dosnt seem to be a lowering kit on the market for the jimny,, i only want to lower it maybe 1 or 2 inches any info would be appreciated thanks baz..

Easiest thing to do would be to fit "Low profile" tyres, say 205/45 15's on stock rims... that would drop your ride height by about 2" (51.25mm)

I went for 215/65 15's for my road tyres. That kept the radius more or less the same while adding 10mm to the width of tyres for bitumen-hugging grip and bought a second set of mud tyres for serious off-road ability.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds