BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

KAP Suzuki Jimny - rebuilt for the road

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Nov 2016 18:35 #174548 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic KAP Suzuki Jimny - rebuilt for the road
55 mph sounds about right for relaxed cruising/best mpg. Mine will sit at 70 on the motorway and venture
into the 80's if pushed. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gazguzzler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2016 09:32 #174568 by Gazguzzler
Replied by Gazguzzler on topic KAP Suzuki Jimny - rebuilt for the road
I have just emailed Martin and my apologies, the steering damper kit wasn't supplied by Martin (BigJimny) as I said on previous post, but its a good kit regardless!

And looks like I'll have to get used to life in the slow lane until I can get a bigger power plant!

Phil

More
13 Nov 2016 09:45 #174570 by jackonlyjack
Are you still running standard transfer box
those tyres look around 30" tall

Jack

• Gazguzzler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2016 13:12 #174574 by Gazguzzler
Yes, I'm still on the standard transfer box. I have just measured the tyres, there are 29"

Phil

More
13 Nov 2016 13:33 #174575 by jackonlyjack
that's why it's slow :whistle:
you need a sj 410 transfer box
or a rock lobster ;)

Jack

• Gazguzzler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2016 14:39 #174584 by Gazguzzler
OK, cheers Jack. I have Sj413 and 410 t/boxes in the shed, so maybe I'll at least have to fit the 410 box as a temporary fix until I get round to making a rock lobster. I think I need some further parts, SJ front prop etc. Anyone selling all the parts to fit a SJ box in to a Jimny? or at least list what I need?

Till then.....4th gear rules!

Phil

More
13 Nov 2016 14:58 #174585 by jackonlyjack
413 front prop fitted to rear
410 intermediate prop
speedo ring and bracket
and cradle to hold it

this may not be 100% correct but i'm sure someone will correct if wrong
on a plus side speedo ring,bracket and cradle will go straight on the lobster when ready :)

Jack

• Gazguzzler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2016 21:40 #174605 by Gazguzzler
Hmmm, a lot of reading tonight on rocklobsters. I'll need to pull out all my boxes and see which bits I need.

I did find new props on eBay from a seller called rocksta9 in UAE. Not OEM parts, but about £140 for the two shafts (+ import taxes) - do you go brand new non-OEM parts or worn 20 year old OEM parts with unknown history? Anyone know if you can buy new shafts supplied in UK?

Is it an easy mod to change my HD Jimny t/box mounts to fit the SJ410 box OR do I have to buy another kit?

Phil

Phil

• jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2016 21:54 #174606 by jim
Replied by jim on topic KAP Suzuki Jimny - rebuilt for the road
Looks like a very capable off roader. I've seen quite a few people extend their seats is this to give a better view of the road/off road or simply to suit people's different heights?

• Gazguzzler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2016 21:00 #174672 by Gazguzzler
I prefer the more seat up and beg seating position, so I lifted the seats slightly.

Next, I wasn't happy with the black / cage and wheels, it made it look dumpy (IMO), so out with the silver hammerite to try to mimic the Team MCS one - that looks great!

My attempt (ongoing)

Phil
Attachments:

More
16 Nov 2016 10:10 #174682 by kirkynut
Crickey, there's been a few original KAP builds come out of the woodwork lately!

It looks cool and the silver cage is much better!

Contact Redacted Engineering for a Rocklobster and let him know that you have both an SJ 410 & 413 box as he can make a Rocklobster out of the two.

Ask him about making it quiet though with polished gears if necessary.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Gazguzzler
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2016 21:23 #174706 by Gazguzzler
I spoke to Richard this afternoon and got a good deal on a full rocklobster kit, transfer box, cradle and props. So that should arrive in a few weeks time. I forgot to ask him about the polished gears, but I will.

I'm also repainting the back panels as they had some surface rust, and I'm going to have the change engine oil from 5W30 fully synthetic to 15W40, as I'm getting a knock when the engine is cold, so I hoping this will help.

I'm now getting in to the problem with a cheap base vehicle, if your vehicle is worth a £10,000 a few mods are only a small percentage of the overall value, but I'm now spending a sizable amount on a vehicle only worth £1500, and I've still got some more basics to do, rear suspension arm bushes etc. I also wouldn't mind some more road baised tyres for day to use and mild greenlaning.

Phil

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds