× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

Mid to long term ownership plan.

• redoregan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Nov 2022 17:53 #245740 by redoregan
Replied by redoregan on topic Mid to long term ownership plan.
That's interesting, alright. About time folks started doing stuff like this, for sure. I'd definitely need more range than that, but yea, good start.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Nov 2022 18:12 #245742 by Lambert
Agreed 100km range might work for the farm but nowhere near enough for a typical road trip. 200 miles would be better.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
03 Nov 2022 21:38 #245749 by Abudougal
The good thing about leccy though is that it's modular, you can just bolt more batteries in.

The other good thing is that for slow stuff chugging round fields electricity is more efficient, whereas petrol engines are most efficient at 50-60mph.

I'm planning on keeping mine too and just using the engine until it wears out and by then hopefully there will be a bolt in kit to make it electrical.

More
03 Nov 2022 21:49 #245750 by 300bhpton
Or just keep it petrol. No matter what happens with new cars, petrol cars have been about for over 100 years. No way you’d be able to phase them all out in double that time.

Plenty of steam powered vehicles still in existence too. And they haven’t been viable for even longer.

More
03 Nov 2022 21:54 - 03 Nov 2022 21:56 #245751 by Scimike
Also not planning to replace my Jimny now, too expensive to go electric and can't justify a new petrol or diesel as the end approaches.
I'll run it for as long as I can then look at the options, that's why it gets pampered 
Backup plan is convert 2CV to electric myself, it's sort of my job (renewables and inverters etc), so have the tools and skills. Battery would suit me, mostly short runs day to day, but hopefully hydrogen will gather momentum if battery technology doesn't improve.
That said if the lights go out and the world continues to go to poo a horse and cart may be the best option.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 03 Nov 2022 21:56 by Scimike.

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Nov 2022 05:31 - 04 Nov 2022 05:34 #245756 by Lambert
Ah yes, the ultimate in intelligent 4x4 systems, not entirely carbon neutral but won't upset the ecomentalists and have its tyres let down! I have thought about having one but they are quite labour intensive, you can't just get out of bed and be transported to work in 10 minutes with one. But equally very aesthetic to observe.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 04 Nov 2022 05:34 by Lambert.

More
04 Nov 2022 07:14 #245757 by yakuza
As you may have hread earlier EV's are almost the only cars sold new here in Norway.
In the cities where you cant get a private charger there is stations just like petrol stations. when crossing longer stretches of rural areas there is charging stations. one should think there would be empty EV's scattered along the countryside but never seen one run out of juice.
Most of my friends now have EV's. Some keep a petrol car for either hobby or as a spare.
My friend that drives 60-70km to work every day says the petrol savings pay for the new VW ID4 GTX.
In our part of the country we are not hooked up to the powerlines that connect europe and UK to our power grid so we do not import your electricity prices just yet. I think the average price now is about 0.05 to 0.1€ pr kW but periods the price have been up to 0.2 to 0.3 but last summer it was for free during the nights and in some short periods we actually got paid to use electricity how stupid it may sound like.
The power meters are all digital now measuring consumption by the hour. So the price vary by the hour as well. By programming the charger to charge the EV at low cost hours the savings can be huge.
But the south part of Norway is connected to the euro and UK grid so prices there are higher but still EV 's are much cheaper to run. Charging at night the price of electricity is way cheaper and some cars come with a plan payment for the power or even free charging.

Keeping a car for the long run rust treatment is the key. and cleaning and retreating if needed. everythjing else can be easily fixed.

I too think petrol will be available for a long time. But it will get costly as lesser and lesser cars will use it.
Here it will probably not ever be allowed to convert petrol cars sadly.
I am doing a full restore of a 1987 SJ. Thinking it might get a m16 engine and the jimny electrics and everything including a cat. I am hoping that a more modern engine will make it more likely that i will be allowed to use it 10-20 years from now.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
04 Nov 2022 07:56 #245758 by 300bhpton
Very interesting.

I think that population (and population density) may play a part here. A quick Google suggests the entire population of Norway is only 5.4 million people. To put it in perspective London alone has a population of about 9 million people.

More
07 Dec 2023 13:28 #252694 by ThatGuy
I live in Poland rather than the UK (although I'm English by birth) and personally, as well as the future restrictions due to sales of ICE stopping, what may also be more restrictive is the U/LEZ becoming both more widespread and more strict. I don't know what Euro category the M13A engine is rated at, but it can't be more than Euro 5? If we see more ULEZ as well as those ULEZ restricting entrance to Euro 6/7 then that becomes problematic for many owners. It may be that even if you can afford the fuel in the future, you won't be able to afford the "charges" that will come with driving it anywhere.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds