BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

The demise of the Defender

More
30 Mar 2021 21:31 - 30 Mar 2021 21:32 #234132 by lightning
l think if Land Rover had produced effectively a larger Jimny they would have had a real winner on their hands.
Particularly if it was under £30,000.
Last edit: 30 Mar 2021 21:32 by lightning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2021 09:17 #234134 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic The demise of the Defender
Judging by the number I've seen on the roads, I think it's going to be a huge seller, but it's selling to SUV buyers, not people who want a utilitarian 4x4.

More
31 Mar 2021 17:03 #234147 by Roger Fairclough
Very true Gadget.

Prospective buyers are interested in the name but they don't want the utilitarian aspect of the genuine article.

This new model will suit them perfectly, especially if they can afford the latest variant, a 562 bhp supercharged V8 petrol.

"To you sir, a snip at £101,000"

Roger

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Mar 2021 20:28 #234153 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic The demise of the Defender
Having just seen Sundays top gear I have to say that the short wheel base defender is definitely an aesthetic improvement on the long one. Still a toy but a less ugly one.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
01 Apr 2021 08:12 - 01 Apr 2021 08:13 #234160 by lightning

Roger Fairclough wrote: Very true Gadget.

Prospective buyers are interested in the name but they don't want the utilitarian aspect of the genuine article.

This new model will suit them perfectly, especially if they can afford the latest variant, a 562 bhp supercharged V8 petrol.

"To you sir, a snip at £101,000"

Roger

l think you've hit the nail
on the head there

Last edit: 01 Apr 2021 08:13 by lightning.

More
01 Apr 2021 12:16 #234163 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic The demise of the Defender

Lambert wrote: Having just seen Sundays top gear I have to say that the short wheel base defender is definitely an aesthetic improvement on the long one. Still a toy but a less ugly one.

Having also watched that BBC  programme, I laughed out loud when it got to the bit about how many ECUs/Electronics there are in the new Defender! Wonder if William Hill online are offering any odds on reliability figures during and beyond the warranty period? At least it will create a whole new business opportunity for independents offering diagnostics and electronic after-sales support.

Felt rather dizzy watching the programme - as the editing team seemed to have the test cars time travelling around the Scottish Highlands at high speed from Highland Perthshire to the West Coast.

More
13 Apr 2021 12:33 #234439 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic The demise of the Defender
I have just watched the episode (my missus doesn't like it, so watched it from the record last night). I have to say, I thought the Defender came out rather well against the G-Wagon, the roller skate that Flintoff was driving doesn't really count.

It would have been good to see it up against the Ineos Grenadier though, those two must be pitched against each other.

Then the third could have been a Jimny, if they were still importing the Gen4.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
13 Apr 2021 15:31 #234443 by 300bhpton

DrRobin wrote: I have just watched the episode (my missus doesn't like it, so watched it from the record last night). I have to say, I thought the Defender came out rather well against the G-Wagon, the roller skate that Flintoff was driving doesn't really count.

It would have been good to see it up against the Ineos Grenadier though, those two must be pitched against each other.

Then the third could have been a Jimny, if they were still importing the Gen4.

I don't hate the new Defender. But for me I don't see it as a G-Wagen competitor or a Wrangler one.

It is just a new Discovery model wearing the Defender name.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds