BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

The demise of the Defender

More
16 Mar 2021 18:47 #233777 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic The demise of the Defender
I see lots of Gen4s with those £800 roof racks that only leave a 5kg load allowance and ladders on the back door. The epitomy of style over substance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2021 22:14 - 16 Mar 2021 22:15 #233789 by lightning
Looking forward to the Grenadier going on sale, l just hope it's not too expensive.

Sadly the price has crept up and its now looking like it will be £40,000+
Which will be out of my reach.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2021 22:15 by lightning.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Mar 2021 04:50 #233796 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic The demise of the Defender
It's going to be interesting to see what the depreciation is like on the new defender especially when they start to come out of warranty.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
17 Mar 2021 08:36 #233800 by lightning
My guess is very little depreciation initially due to demand
But eventually it will go the way of all other LR products and values will fall.

Few cars escape the depreciation curve, the new Jimny is currently on a high, the VW Up GTi is doing well, and the Jeep Wrangler holds its value.

More
17 Mar 2021 10:18 #233802 by 300bhpton

Lambert wrote: It's going to be interesting to see what the depreciation is like on the new defender especially when they start to come out of warranty.

Not so sure values are directly warranty related, it'll be more about supply and demand I feel. So I'd also expect them to be pretty good for the next 3-4 years. But then be very comparable to D4/D5 type values. I can't seem them being lusted after like the traditional Defender is, nor how people view the Wrangler or Jimny. It just isn't that kind of vehicle.

More
17 Mar 2021 11:05 #233803 by lightning
True enough, once they come out of the three year PCP agreements they will join the ranks of used vehicles on Auto Trader.
Since around 90% of new vehicles are now purchased using this method, it's likely fewer people will want a three year old one, as you can't have a PCP agreement on those.

l still think values will remain fairly strong, certainly better than Discovery Sport where you can get five year old one from around £10,000

More
19 Mar 2021 10:50 #233843 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic The demise of the Defender
Fashion, PCP and transient commitment to a marque/brand - and what's wrong with pink trousers or for that matter red corduroys?

One thing is for sure - The Repo Man loves JLR products! Note to @lightning - there's very good business in repo'd JLR products and then financial 'recycling' to poorer but aspirational new 'customers'.

More
19 Mar 2021 14:11 #233847 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic The demise of the Defender
Nothing actually wrong with the new "Defender" in my opinion, other than it's no longer true to the work biased origin of the original.
It's just another JLR luxury offering that is, to be fair, the place they make the most money. 
It's too expensive and complex for me to be a customer, just like many other 4x4s on the market.
Not everyone purchases this type of vehicle just to go "let's off road", so it's a bit unfair picking on the look of a vehicle just because it does not fit into our expected use envelope.
Don't believe the G4 has gone off track in the same way, it's still true to its simple roots. Unfortunately it's currently overpriced, but not by design this time, just unforeseen market forces. 
So unfortunately the true Defender has long gone and will be missed, may it RIP.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Groenewald
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2021 15:26 - 23 Mar 2021 15:30 #233965 by Groenewald
Replied by Groenewald on topic The demise of the Defender
Interesting video on the new defender - a Jimny Comparison at the end. (at about 19 minutes in.....)

Coming from someone with a lot of 4x4 and overlanding experience.

Last edit: 23 Mar 2021 15:30 by Groenewald.

More
23 Mar 2021 17:21 #233968 by Roger Fairclough
I always liked the basic look of the defender, but not much else. It looses out on reliability, build quality, which is all part of reliability and me fitting in it.
The guys comments about sizing up the Jimny are spot on but irrelevant.
Land Rover do not want a workhorse vehicle, they want the ultimate Chelsea Tractor because that's where the money is. The new Defender will gets it's tyres dirty at Burghley Horse Trials and darling daughters gymkhana events and little else.
As to farmers, builders and the utility companies, it's going to be, if it hasn't already gone, the pick up truck, so beloved of our yankee cousins.
That leaves the armed forces and they will probably go with pick ups or the latest version of the HUMVEE. Certainly they wont want anything that LR would offer them.
LR Defender R.I.P.

Roger

More
23 Mar 2021 21:39 #233970 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic The demise of the Defender

Groenewald wrote: Interesting video on the new defender - a Jimny Comparison at the end. (at about 19 minutes in.....)

Coming from someone with a lot of 4x4 and overlanding experience.

I enjoyed watching that, you can tell he is very passionate about it.

• Groundworker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Mar 2021 06:57 #233973 by Groundworker
Replied by Groundworker on topic The demise of the Defender
Watched one of his earlier videos, he explains that he's no longer invited to LR vehicle launches because he gave an honest appraisal of whichever vehicle it was he tested. As he says, they flew him and his wife to Africa, all expenses paid, put up in luxury tents and all free food and drink, entertainment laid on. Hard to give a bad review after all that, especially if you don't get invited again!

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds