BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× An area for non Suzuki Jimny related chat. Keep it clean etc. as this is a public forum with young readers.

The demise of the Defender

More
15 Mar 2021 23:44 #233752 by Gadget
Despite the bland looks and appalling reliability record of JLR vehicles, I'd still reserved a tiny bit of my heart for the new Defender, simply because of the heritage.

Having now seen about a dozen on the roads, that goodwill has been completely eroded after seeing the typical owner and spec. Might just be an Essex thing, but every single one has been 'murdered out' with black everything, massive rims, low profile tyres and a driver who looks like an extra from TOWIE. Fake tans, diamond earrings, tattoos and designer sportswear abound. 

Sadly it seems the Defender has stolen the client base of the Range Rover Spawwwwtah and BMW X6. RIP Defender. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Mar 2021 06:06 #233753 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic The demise of the Defender
It's not just Essex, there's probably 15 rolling round harrogate in every available colour and they're all toys. I haven't seen one with even a horse box on the back never mind a cattle float or a mini digger. To be fair though most of the old ones are now Twisted specials on big rims round here. One of those made me laugh, a c reg tarted up and wearing graphics advertising a chiropractor, talk about putting the waggon before the horse!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

• Groundworker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2021 06:49 #233754 by Groundworker
Replied by Groundworker on topic The demise of the Defender
I tested one when they first came out, very bland and plasticky, I was considering one for work, I have a Dmax but would prefer more of a 'van' type vehicle. The one I tested had a roof rack and snorkel which just gave horrendous wind noise, fit a snorkel on a car with 900mm wading depth, how deep are we expecting one to go? It also had the hilarious 'sandwich box' on the side, nobody seems to know the purpose of it but it's like towing a caravan as you have no rear vision in the driver's side door mirror.
Then you ask how much it'll be and it starts at £45k +VAT. I could buy two entry level Dmaxs. It's been built as a platform to bolt accessories on to, they offer just about every conceivable extra and people will go mental on that. Few hundred on a plastic box to bolt on the rear side window, yes please!
When I tested it, there was a young guy in dealers, pink trousers and sunglasses on top of his head. I said to dealer that he wasn't interested in me, he wanted pink trouser's business, he agreed and pointed out that I'd drive it into the ground, pink trouser's would want another one in two years.
Even the sales guy pointed out the colour palette, very safe, it could probably look cool in some of the Jimmy/Jeep colours. Every car on their forecourt was very bland looking, you'd think pink trousers would want a bit of colour...

More
16 Mar 2021 06:58 #233755 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic The demise of the Defender
Before we start throwing stones in our glasshouse...

Isn't  the Gen4 going the same way?...

:unsure:

• Lambert
    Registered
More
16 Mar 2021 07:40 #233757 by Lambert
To a degree, yes. There is a reason why I continue to work my 111000 mile gen3 instead of retiring it for a zero miles new one.

• Gilling Red
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2021 08:49 #233759 by Gilling Red
Replied by Gilling Red on topic The demise of the Defender
Until December gone I was a dedicated LR owner. Series 2A, Series 3 Lightweight. 5 Defenders loved every one of them. Then comes the new Defender just another posh 4x4. Will never get worked off road. £50000 you are having a laugh. My new Jimny is just a simple good off roader.

More
16 Mar 2021 08:57 - 16 Mar 2021 09:00 #233760 by lightning
l've got an original Defender and a Jimny. They are both great working vehicles, the new Defender is great but it's not a Defender, if only Suzuki had made the Jimny 25% larger!

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Mar 2021 09:00 by lightning.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
16 Mar 2021 09:11 #233761 by Lambert
Jimny doesn't want to be any much bigger otherwise it means that the only viable alternative for farmers is a side by side and even the new Jimny kicks those in the unmentionables and steals their pocket money.

More
16 Mar 2021 09:54 #233762 by 300bhpton
The new Pretender is a very good Discovery replacement. But it is no Defender.

More
16 Mar 2021 10:11 #233763 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic The demise of the Defender

X8GGY wrote: Before we start throwing stones in our glasshouse...

Thankfully only a very small minority of Gen4s have been pimped in the same way. The fact that it's a tiny car means that the over-compensating crowd aren't interested in the first place, after all what's the point in having a 4x4 if you can't loom threateningly 6 inches from someone's back bumper at 80mph in the outside lane? 

More
16 Mar 2021 14:20 #233768 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic The demise of the Defender

X8GGY wrote: Before we start throwing stones in our glasshouse...

I'm not so sure.. Yes in a sense that the Gen.4 SZ5 has some impressive bells and whistles for it's price point, but ultimately the Gen.4's principle design is a barebones body on frame 4x4. Had JLR released a new defender that featured 21st centry bells and whistles, but remained structually and mechanically true to its roots, it would be an absolute game changer..... (Ineos Grenedier........

More
16 Mar 2021 16:18 #233770 by Roger Fairclough
The high cost of the new Defender - aka Chelsea Tractor - is the need to build in sufficient funds to rectify the inevitable faults.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds